Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How fast has your gps clocked you at...

Poster: A snowHead
SmithSki, you have uncovered the ultimate death-mix; beer, cheese fondu, Ski Tracks app for iPhone & a pair of shiny new Scot Neos!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 3-02-11 14:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
danno_c1, couldn't care, as long as it was on a deserted motorway, and your speedo was working correctly etc etc etc....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BergenBergen going any speed over 45mph in a Nova is a scary experience and danno_c1's driving made the whole event safer in no way!

Dr John - the fact that you willingly drove a Clubman almost pushes me to conceding this argument to you, but my stubbornheadedness refuses to allow me. I am sure that at some point, even if you prefer cruising, you have tested out the Audi at speed, and thats no different really to testing out your skis top speed on an empty piste. As long as pushing your car/skis to their limits is done in a safe wide area, there's not too much harm in it. But don't tell the police I said that.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowboard, 77kph.
Skis, 81kph.

Could only get 58kph on my mountain bike coming down the road from Pont St Charles to Le Fornet a couple of summers ago!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
maggi wrote:
I think it's a pointless man thing. Like who can p!ss the highest and staring into an almost empty fridge rolling eyes .

Forget skiing speed, I still can't work out if a real man is supposed to do the two things above at the same time Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
horizon, I'd have though that the man who can p1ss while staring into a fridge must be very very drunk indeed, and certainly on the way to a beating from a very angry Mrs in the morning.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dr John,
When you claim that these GPS readings are more often than not incorrect, you're wrong.
They have spikes of incorrect readings which are very easy to spot.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jimmjimm, you can only spot the spikes on ones that show a speed/elevation etc. profile and/or let you download the data for offline processing. Some devices have only Max Speed, Total Distance etc. displayed. Any spike on that renders the results useless (although I suspect they are heavily filtered to minimise such spikes)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I like turning. Going fast in a straight line seems to be a waste of a good slope.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jimmjimm, on other GPS threads I've seen posts from the lead developer of one of the apps asking for the source file to be sent to them so they can analyse it in order to identify where a spike might have occurred, and then fix up some known bugs. Based on that kind of feedback, I'm going to suggest that the kind of apps were talking about (free, or 59p) aren't exactly bullett proof enterprise quality. They're fun, I agree, but I can't see them being used by the Guinness Book of Records for verification any time soon.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, what about Trolles in Tignes...as long as you dont start on the path you can see everything and can pick up a decent speed, having said that I have seen more than 1 person catch an edge at speed! Skullie
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PsychoBabble, what about it? I'd rather make some turns down it than straightline, if only to ensure I don't catch an edge. Riding a flat ski at speed isn't fun for me.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, thought it was compulsory for instructors to schuss it from the top level? For myself I always put in one extra turn "for luck" and regret it on the walk up the other side!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PsychoBabble, I've not seen that particular rule. You can pick up a bit of speed even when turning if you're trying to get across the flats to the Aeroski. For me I'd rather ski down to Val Claret and around the other side of the bowl and enjoy making some turns, especially at the end of the day where you can enjoy a beer in the sun before skiing back to Le Lac.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
72.2 mph; Hochgurgle red piste 28; slowed down because of fear!

Empty piste. Turn out of the shuss was interesting...
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
I'd rather make some turns down it than straightline, if only to ensure I don't catch an edge. Riding a flat ski at speed isn't fun for me.

I am scared of catching an edge at speed but hate having to trudge up. I guess you should keep your skis flat & straight for max speed but with carving skis I use a bit of tow-in and inside edge bias, I don't know if this is really the best thing.
latest report
Lechbob wrote:
but with carving skis I use a bit of tow-in and inside edge bias,
Is that like a fast snowplough?
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:

Exactly but I could never do a good snowplough but still it returns in moments of extreme fear.
snow report
Lechbob wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Exactly but I could never do a good snowplough but still it returns in moments of extreme fear.
Laughing
latest report
I forgot about Trolles - i've managed to ski past the aeroski - however I was glad to be wearing dark trousers Embarassed
snow report
Freddie Paellahead, good grief, did you start your schuss in Val d'Isere?
snow conditions
rob@rar, I think he'd been on the brocolli again, wind assisted probably. Toofy Grin
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Lechbob wrote:
but with carving skis I use a bit of tow-in and inside edge bias,

I guess a speed plough is like running in slippers, slippers were fast Laughing
snow report
rob@rar, maybe...

No, I think I only schussed from just above the turn off to the right - perhaps my skis were well prepared Puzzled
ski holidays
53.5mph. GS skis, first lift, long empty red run. Going fast makes getting air off any crests or rollers a real risk.

For average skiing I seem to ski at about 33-35mph according to GPS. I do wonder about how accurate GPS is when doing turns though, I'm not sure a 1hz sample rate is enough especially skiing on slalom skis.
snow report
Ski Tracks iPhone app 433km/h
latest report
Freddie Paellahead, Yeah when it's icy end empty that's certainly doable. I had to skid stop at Palafour once!
ski holidays
Managed to hit 99km/h on a speed run last year... so frustratingly close to the 100!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I managed 86 km/hr on a snowboard going from the top of the glacier to resort in 2alpes. My friend managed 106.5 km/hr going down the black diable.
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/tw5doHjd0Ug
snow report
Lechbob, love the sound they make WITHOUT and engine!!!!
latest report
11 yr old 6 stone son clocked 70.1 kmh on Hochwurzen speed run near Schladming, side of red run.
ski holidays
Quote:

briand6868

11 yr old 6 stone son clocked 70.1 kmh

That just sounds irresponsible to me but perhaps I am just more/over protective of my children. I would not encourage them to ski at speed; technique and elegance are far more admirable goals. Sad
ski holidays
albatross, not to speak on behalf of briand6868, but have you ever told an 11 year old boy (or 40 year old man, come to that) not to do something because it might be dangerous/technically flawed/not elegant? Take a wild guess and what the very next thing said 11 year old boy is going to do.
latest report
For all the stats geeks/speed freaks out there I might develop a HUD for goggles displaying all the numbers. Saves looking at your phone or watch all the time.

Or perhaps I could go to Garmin with a proposal for a GPS helmet mount.

Who wants one? wink Laughing
snow report
Dr John, what you say is 'because I'm your mother and I said so'.

Modern parents, what a bunch of pansies. Laughing
ski holidays
hammerite, Too late
http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Zeal_Optics_Transcend_GPS_Goggles/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=N/A&utm_content=N/A&utm_campaign=E_ZEAL_1110_SGB

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1653266&highlight=goggles+gps#1653266
snow report
Quote:

Dr John, what you say is 'because I'm your mother and I said so'.

Exactly! My children wouldn't dream of defying me (not would many 40 year old men, come to that) I am far too scary!
Evil or Very Mad Laughing
ski holidays
Lechbob, damn, too late. OK here comes the Garmin helmet mount. Or perhaps I can work with Oakley to design a HUD for sunglasses Laughing
snow report
67mph last week in la grave on the blue at the top. Done on my mates phone so don't no how accurate that was. However, I was infront of him so I assume I was going faster so I guess I was probably going about 200mph.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy