Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

flasks, insulated cups, allergies (think that covers it all)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Does anyone know of a small flat insulated type flask/breaker that would fit nicely inside a ski instructor's pocket Very Happy I'm not sure if it's a huge ask either - my daughter has allergies but I'd still like her to have a hot drink when the others stop for one. I'm not talking a huge 2 litre thermos here!

Or any other ideas?

thanks

Tor
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry to be unhelpful but I've never seen one, there are some small cylindrical flasks that will hold 0.3L but that's the smallest insulated flask I've seen, the flat flasks seem to all be uninsulated.

http://www.busyoutdoors.com/highlander-sealed-travel-mugflask/p204#tdesc_9 looks to be the smallest I could find
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
D G Orf, Thanks so much - .35 seemed to be about the smallest I could find just not sure if it's a bit much expecting an instructor to take that?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
tor, If you got one what would you put in it?

I would think you could probably get most things in a mountain restaurant anyway - would there really be nothing suitable?

If not, there might another option. Would she be OK with hot water from the restaurants? Presumably you would make her hot drink in the flask from hot/boiled water from the resort? Maybe you just provide the instructor with something to put in it, i.e. small quantity of fruit cordial, suitable fruit teabag etc. and they could just ask the restaurant for a cup of hot water and then add the 'concentrate' flavour to it. I'm sure a restaurant wouldn't mind if there was an allergy involved and it was a child with an instructor.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, Hi, just not sure about the availability of soya milk in the restaurants and knowing a lot of hot chocolate powder sachets (even those for use in water) contain whey products. Plus I don't want this to be a pain for a ski instructer with other littlies to think about... I thought my options might be to mix the soya powder and chocolate into a dispenser and let her loose with a cup of hot water to make some inevitably lumpy cocktail, mix it into a syrup myself before hand or just make it and put it in a small flask/insulated drinker to be taken...

One day I hope to ask a really inspiring question Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just tell the instructor not to let her have anything other than hot squash or similar. They must deal with kids that have allergies every day. Just tell them if she has X, Y or Z the consequences will be very very serious, even if they're not really, and they will make sure she doesn't drink anything she shouldn't.

Plus hot chocolate really makes flasks smell funny. Try Millets and similar, they do kids thermos flasks, you might also find a small backpack or bumbag is the answer for her.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Monium, Thanks ... good ol' Millets - why didn't I think of them? It's not a huge deal and we'll figure it out - I hadn't considered hot squash (but then you wouldn't, would you Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hot Squash = cordial as per my suggestion - my kids like both hot blackcurrant and hot orange squash. Does she drink tea? Some fruit teas are nice too, esp. with a little sugar in them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
All French places will sell "sirops" which are sugary fruit squashes (and other countries would have similar, surely?) could just get a hot one of those. Personally I'd hesitate to ask a ski instructor to put a flask in a pocket - not that it would have to be insulated - insulated ones are all pretty large IME. I wouldn't give one to a child to carry either - I nearly got my ribs stove in last year when a Frenchman skiing faster than he should have been took me out from behind (and we've done all the jokes about that, thanks). If it hadn't been for the flask in my backpack I'd have been unscathed.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
tor, chances are the instructor will know exactly where they will stop for a quick drink, maybe you could drop a flask off there yourself at the start of the day?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agree with the others about squahs/fruit tea.

Why do you want her to have a hot drink?

Is it so she is like the others? Because you want her to have something hot? Because you want her to have something to drink? Or because you want her to have a treat like the others?

The reason I ask is because my answer is different depending on your answer.

Something hot or to drink- have a fruit tea and give instructor bag or hot squash
If its for a treat give her a treat she can eat and give her water.

To be like the others is more complex and i am now going to sound really harsh, but bear in mind I am the mother of an 8 year old boy with severe food allergies. Basically I used to run around trying for my son to have everything exactly the same as the others etc, but actually I now realise its important they know they are different and accept that; that way I think they are more likely to be accepting of it when they are in those risky teenage years. Otherwise its easy to avoid situations where they appear different. The fact is they are different, and they have to realise it. Yes its unfair that they have allergies and are not able to do things exactly the same, but it can always be worse; there is usually someone with worse allergies ; there are kids with diabetes etc and so the allergy kids just have to get used to it. Life isn't that bad. My son never misses out in the overall scope of things; he knows he gets treats in place of when other kids get them, it just may not be at the same time or place. He has to learn he can't eat everything and accept it. Harsh? Maybe, but maybe realistic in getting them to deal with their allergies, be confidant about them and accept them.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
parlor, another great idea - thanks Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gryphea, Thanks too for replying - she's generally very accepting of what she can and can't have and she is used to making different choices to her peer group and learning to take responsibility for that.

In answer to your question, yes I'd like her to have a drink and she'd probably be more than happy with water or squash but, as she loves hot chocolate, I was looking at a way of making this possible ...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy