Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you feel the walls are closing in on you...?

Poster: A snowHead
Flashing Hallways from Cody Townsend
http://vimeo.com/6733095

Thanks to offpisteskiing for highlighting this piece of insanity.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like he had his boots race tight Shocked

Video looks speeded up in places though
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just when I thought I was getting more chilled about narrow Shocked Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fair do's rather them than me, but that's not 'tight'.......... this is 'tight' http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=69316&start=80#1664887
wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, great training aid for shorts though Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, Rather scary animal tracks he's following - I think I'd slow down a bit Confused wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
genepi, I think those might be his own bootprints from hiking up Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
wonder where that was filmed, at least he got some turns in and didn't straightline it!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i think it's in california somewhere. IRC he went up there with Jeremy Jones on Jones's Deeper project
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No knicker and cliff huck at the end!! Reminds me a bit of a path you walk down n Iceland between European and American tectonic plates
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, nice, short swings rule Little Angel

Megamum, yep that really was tight Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
He must've been rubbish. He kept turning, thus slowing himself down and risking colliding one wall or the other. If he knew what he was doing he'd clearly have straight linded it Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gazzza, LOL At one point I suspect his tips got really close to the right hand wall
latest report
Gazzza, Just when he got a rhythm going he comes across someone sitting down in the middle of the run.
snow conditions
This scared me! Sharp intake of breath at one point. I could not do this. Ever. Would prefer to be in my sandals on the beach to be honest...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 18-02-14 16:33; edited 2 times in total
snow report
BergenBergen wrote:
Gazzza, Just when he got a rhythm going he comes across someone sitting down in the middle of the run.

Not someone, a boarder!!! Typical. Very Happy wink
snow report
you've gotta straighline that surely??! (i freely admit i would've resembled a pinball ball coming down there!). Not a big fan of such descents, i bet a lookers shot at it and it would looked horrible, dont see the point of that kind of chute skiing when it's all staccato jump turns or "combat" skiing - straightlining is the only way to pretty it up, afterall that's what counts Toofy Grin
snow report
That's a long chute to straightline. Wonder what terminal velocity would be on a slope that pitch in those snow conditions...?
snow conditions
here's cody's blog

http://www.biglines.com/articles/cody-townsend-skis-2000ft-very-very-tight-couloir-jeremy-jones-video

you people talking about straightlining it are hilarious Laughing

with pic for those who can't be bothered to click on the linky:

snow report
Arno, fair enough, he would probably need a better runout to point them Shocked ! the pitch shouldnt be a problem to those dudes though?

Still not sure i see the point of a line like that but maybe i'm just too lame to get it

blades would be handy in there eh? wink
ski holidays
I hope I never get good enough to even think about attempting things like that.
snow report
Quote:

Exactly, begging for a snowplough straight down
ski holidays
Thanks for the link Arno, this photo gives a slightly better perspective on how steep it is:
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, Sad ah you beat me to that post.

Snowplough of death bum well on the kazi tails grinding against the stone sending showers of sparks.......its a cool look Toofy Grin
snow report
Hucking Fell !!! Shocked Shocked .
snow report
That is a cool chute.

Not especially steep but very narrow at times.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:
Not especially steep
Puzzled Shocked
latest report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Quote:

Exactly, begging for a snowplough straight down

Yep Laughing Laughing wink
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Not especially steep
Puzzled Shocked

I think he hasn't looked at the photos. It didn't 'look' that steep when I looked at the video .

Shocked
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Wonder what terminal velocity would be on a slope that pitch in those snow conditions...?

When you say 'terminal' in this case, I think you do mean terminal!
latest report
Quote:

Not especially steep

It's hard to tell how steep it is - certainly on the photo Rob posted it looks almost vertical, but if you look at the photo of the guy walking up, his steps, the position of his poles and the fact that he is not using his hands, rope or ice axe suggest the couloir is probably below 45 degrees rather than above. Since the location is described as secret though it's hard to be sure, and impossible to check.

I certainly wouldn't ski it though, and the video was amazing Shocked
snow report
Awesome skiing Shocked
snow conditions
rob@rar, I reckon the slope is in the 30 to 40 degs range for most of the way. The cliffs are steep but the snowy bit cut into them is less so.

As Plake mentions, the walk-up photos don't look overly stressful.

It is a cool bit of riding, nonetheless. To ski something so narrow mostly without stopping shows great plank control.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
rob@rar, I reckon the slope is in the 30 to 40 degs range for most of the way. The cliffs are steep but the snowy bit cut into them is less so.
I thought closer to 40, but consistently steep and consistently narrow for such a sustained run and taken at a high speed make it an impressive bit of skiing. "Not especially steep" seems to miss the bigger picture.
snow report
It's called Terminal Cancer and it's in the Ruby Mountains in Nevada halfway between Tahoe and Salt Lake City

http://www.skiingthebackcountry.com/ski-articles/Ruby_Mountain

" The line skied at a high 30 degree angle, which made it totally fine for the dogs, but still super fun for us."
ski holidays
AFAIK this is also in Andrew McLean's guide to the Utah backcountry but it's currently in a shipping container so I can't check the details.

The photo of with the colouir in the background is a classic example of foreshortening hence why it looks so crazily steep. I've got similar photos of Pinnacle Gully shot from Stag Rocks in the Cairngorms which make it looks like a sheer snowface when in actuality it was about 45 degrees average when measuring the slope angle.

Even still skiing it as quickly and smoothly as that is ace given how narrow it is.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy