Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Gap Year - HELP!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Kenzie wrote:
MehdiA wrote:
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Ye gods - looks like the competition isnt up to much for the forthcoming season.

you dont think there will be many people going on ski seasons?

At least 2 for every job.

I was told in training it was 10 for every place...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MehdiA, you're in the wrong place. This is a website frequented by holidaymakers, not resort workers. Go back to Natives - it's a recruitment site for ski resort staff and will be a lot more practical use to you.

You have, broadly speaking, two options: work for a local business (for which you will need to speak the local language to a resonable level) or get a job with a UK based tour op, the majority of which don't care about language for most positions.

TOs will not start recruiting for 2011/12 until June. There is no point in applying before then. Use the time to search Natives/TO websites to see what sort of roles they have and what experience you need.

You will not get a driving job under 25 - insurance and all that. Plum jobs (N America, bar etc) go to reliable returners. Apply by all means, but don't be disappointed when you're turned down. Your best bet is hotel staff - look for TOs which run their own hotels (eg Skiplan, Skiworld, SkiBound, Ski Olympic, and Total/Esprit or Crystal if you get desperate).

Tip: you are looking for a job, not a 'work placement'. TOs take their business serioulsy and don't see themselves as being there to provide work experience for gap year kids.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 9-02-11 18:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

for which you will need to speak the local language to a resonably level)

But fortunately not have to be able to spell correctly your own language. wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
T Bar, rolling eyes picking people up on typos is for the terminally bored!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, True, or in my case grumpy with a serious bout of man flu.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard wrote:
Your best bet is hotel staff - look for TOs which run their own hotels (eg Skiplan, Skiworld, SkiBound, Ski Olympic, and Total/Esprit or Crystal if you get desperate).

Thanks Lizzard, I've had a look on all of those sites now and found a good application form on Ski Olympic. Do you know of any other places that offer jobs, wether they are TO's or private hotels?

I will keep looking for jobs but basically there isn't anything I can do until April?

Cheers.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MehdiA, pay attention. There's no point in doing anything about this until June.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MehdiA, you can look on resorts websites, they usually have a recruitment page. I know people who've scored good bar jobs that way (in small quiet local bars sort of thing).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999, but I'd have thought you'd need to speak the local language fluently to work in a "small quiet local" bar (as opposed to the sort of English happy hour bacon and eggs at all hours kind of place).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, I wasn't being rude I was being facetious, although I have been helpful in the other thread Very Happy When i was 18 and wanted to a season, we didn't all log onto Natives - we had to look at books! actual books! The info is out there - seek and ye shall find.

We (bf and I) had thought about doing another ski season next year but have decided against it. However I know a large number of people with all sorts of skills and experience that will probably put them at a higher chance of getting a job than an 18yr old. I think the pre-uni gap year brigade will find it tougher this coming season.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MehdiA,
Glad to see you paid attention to the replies above, and are asking intelligent questions on Natives.

Good luck.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
clarky999, but I'd have thought you'd need to speak the local language fluently to work in a "small quiet local" bar (as opposed to the sort of English happy hour bacon and eggs at all hours kind of place).

Usually, but sometimes you can get away with only knowing a bit. Local's the wrong word too, I mean the sort of out the way place not often visited by punters.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy