Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hi folks, few questions

Poster: A snowHead
Long time lurker, thought I'd finally register.

I have been skiing for 6 - 7 years roughly and am probably a level 6 / 7 on a 1 - 10 scale, I've done Canada and the Three Valleys so far this year and am keen on doing at least 2 - 3 more trips elsewhere before the end of the season.

I want to improve my ability and eventually get into doing slalom skiing which I have the opportunity to do through work I was thinking come next trip I'd pay for private tuition for the entire duration and practice what I've learned on subsequent trips, a good idea? I'll probably even do something like the NONSTOP training courses come next season perhaps.

Questions being:

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do for the rest of the season to improve ski ability with a look of getting into racing?

What skis would be best for my ability as I figure I may as well purchase a set now with multiple hire costs starting to outweigh outright purchasing them? (Based London way)

Finally does anyone have experience with self catering apartments in order to ski regularly but cheaply??

Cheers in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HORT1 wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do for the rest of the season to improve ski ability with a look of getting into racing?

Get a bloody site fitter than you think you are.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Masque wrote:
HORT1 wrote:

snowHead too

Re self-catering accom. How often would you be using it? Regularly enough to justify a season rental?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

You can join a race club, most dry slopes and snowdomes have them Smile also a good way of meeting people who you can buy equipment from (Slalom gear mounts up - hand guards, leg guards, helmet etc etc) also to pick up some slalom skis. www.skizog.co.uk is good for second hand race kit. Or the Fischer SC Superrace is a good ski for what you're looking at, new on ebay from Germany €300ish

Also, some private coaching would be good - try and go with a coach who as a race coaching qualification/background if that's what you want to work on.

Lastly, be prepared to get bruises! Slalom gates aren't very forgiving Neh Neh
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
HORT1, I dont want to be bad ,, but,, If U have ski 6-7 year, and U think that you are on 6/7 on a scale,, U must be a phenomenon
wink I have ski 45 year, I have work as skiteacher, and I have make 9 seasons in skiresorts,, live there,, and Im NOT on level 10,, Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kenzie wrote:
Masque wrote:
HORT1 wrote:

snowHead too

Re self-catering accom. How often would you be using it? Regularly enough to justify a season rental?

2 - 3 times a season at most, I'm planning from now on to do at least 2 different trips per season and the other ones spending the bare minimum cash wise while being able to Ski be it through a Bed or Breakfast or self catering, having never had any experience with anything other than a Hotel hoping for an insight from anyone who has been there, done that.

heidiky wrote:
Quote:

You can join a race club, most dry slopes and snowdomes have them Smile also a good way of meeting people who you can buy equipment from (Slalom gear mounts up - hand guards, leg guards, helmet etc etc) also to pick up some slalom skis. www.skizog.co.uk is good for second hand race kit. Or the Fischer SC Superrace is a good ski for what you're looking at, new on ebay from Germany €300ish

Also, some private coaching would be good - try and go with a coach who as a race coaching qualification/background if that's what you want to work on.

Lastly, be prepared to get bruises! Slalom gates aren't very forgiving Neh Neh

Thanks for the info mate.

freeheelskier wrote:
HORT1, I dont want to be bad ,, but,, If U have ski 6-7 year, and U think that you are on 6/7 on a scale,, U must be a phenomenon
wink I have ski 45 year, I have work as skiteacher, and I have make 9 seasons in skiresorts,, live there,, and Im NOT on level 10,, Laughing

It's subjective whenever you use a 1 - 10 scale but going off the Ski and Snowboard rating 1 would be ski virgin, 5 Cruising reds, still losing it on blacks and 10 being a Top gun - Pro racer / Freeskier so I'd say 6 / 7 is realistic!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
HORT1, welcome to snowheads.

In reponse to your "6/7 on a scale of 10" may I refer you this this thread

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1194262#1194262

and this slightly more useful one

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1625903
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HORT1, Have English skier a own scale? I dont think, The english skier I have ski with is often very good ; they put money in to take lesson, the have good style, but french and scandinavian skier use to be more radical in their way to ski ( U can call it more stupid if U want), But I will not belive its realistic when U say 6/7,,
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
HORT1, Who cares about 'ratings' anyway? Got a smile on your face when you ski? Sorted.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
heidiky wrote:
HORT1, Who cares about 'ratings' anyway? Got a smile on your face when you ski? Sorted.

I can't argue with that sentiment Very Happy however, perhaps what freeheelskier is trying to say is - does everyone else have a smile on their face when HORT1 skis?! Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HORT1, agree with what heidiky said. To make the transition from being a competent recreational skier to a racer is one of much closer attention to technical detail, and lots of practice - so as much time as possible training. You also ned some kind of organisation to get practice courses set for you.

From here it really depends on what you mean by "the opportunity to do through work". If they are going to post you out to a ski resort for a couple of months a year (chance would be a fine thing Wink ) then go for it, and join the local ski club (although you'll probably be trying to keep up with 8 year olds). If that's not the offer, then join a UK race club and start training with them (you'll then probably be only trying to catch up with 10 year olds Laughing ). The point of this is that you can train at leat once a week all year round, and so those technical habits get time to form.

You don't say whereabouts you are near London, but there are race clubs based at the dry slopes at Brentwood and Bromley to the east, and Bowles nr Tunbridge Wells to the south (ski here is the head coach at Bowles). Bromley is probably the southern powerhouse club at present, and also hosts training sessions with clubs from Folkestone (who are hampered by a very short slope) and Chatham (dreadful surface). To the west there is Bracknell (hampered by the same dreadful surface as Chatham) and Aldershot (I can provide you with further details of that). To the north there is Welwyn, which has its own club, and also hosts Wycombe Phoenix (gsb is a contact for them), and the snow dome at Hemel.

At an introductory level, the stuff you would learn at a dry slope and a snow dome would be pretty similar, so you can take your pick. It is generally nicer (and easier) skiing on snow though, but mostly quite a bit cheaper at dry slopes. At higher levels you would take things in slightly different directions on dry and indoor, but I suspect that's a fair way off yet. During the summer I train almost equally much on both surfaces, and I find each helps the other to a degree, although I know several confirmed snow racers who are dreadful on dry slopes and will never ski them again.

Hemel has a very large main club, but is full to overflowing, so it may be difficult to get in there (NickW is on the committee there, so would be a good contact if you were interested in a way in). There is another club/coaching company based there during the summer though, run by philbo. It's not cheap training with him, but he's good (an ex-British Children's team Head coach) - drop him a line if you're interested or at www.impulse-racing.co.uk. Further up the M1 there is also a club at Milton Keynes.

Once you're up to it, there's a very active local and national slalom race scene during the summers on the dry slopes, and also stuff at the indoor domes. One local league covers Brentwood/Welwyn/Bromley/Aldershot (5 races Apr/May-Sept), and another covers Bromley/Aldershot/Southampton/Christchurch (6 races over the same period). There's also another one to the north-east of London that goes from Brentwood/Hemel out as far as Norwich and Ipswich) Then there's national-level races at Bromley/Welwyn/Ipswich/Norwich/Gloucester/Southampton and points north, alond with Hemel/MK/Manchester. The indoor slopes also have their own series which covers Hemel/MK/Castleford/Manchester/Glasgow generally with a weekend (two races) at each dome.

So plenty of opportunity there! Once you get into it, working out which ones not to do, and what to do if ever you find a free weekend, is the problem (I did about 25 races in each of the last two years). You'll also leave that 6/7 grading well behind in recreational skiing.

(btw. ignore the discussion about 6/7 out of 10 - freeheeskier may be drawing the inference that you're saying your 60% of the expereince/ability of a WC skier. We all know what you mean, and that's not what you're saying).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
freeheelskier, I have to agree with GrahamN, You are being a little unfair as your not aware of the level scale to which he is refering Perhaps you could share your own version of the 1-10 scale for our info. Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kevindonkleywood, Love it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think the most importent thing is to have fun up there on the mountain,, What I mean is that I dont like to talk about level on a scale, everyone can all the time be a better skier, even Seb Michaud kan be better,, he is for the moment top 5 in the world for proffesional freeskier, and on a scale 1-10, everyone should say that he is a 10, but what is he when he has skiing 10 more years Puzzled I will say there is 3 kind of level,, Complete beginner, never ski before, and there is, skier that LOVE to ski, skiing with a big smile, and want to be better, and we also have the kind as HORT1, A big EGO that think style is the most importent thing, and forget to be happy, and ski with slower speed, beacause he/she think they looks like better skier than they are,, Love to ski, and be HAPPY Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
freeheelskier, look, you are clearly completely missing the point about this thread - partly excusable as English is clearly not your first language. You've clearly not understood a thing about this thread if you think HORT1 has a puffed up ego from that initial comment - and you really owe him an apology after your last comment. The point of that scale reference was to give those of us wishing to make helpful comments some idea of his skiing level without having had the benefit of seeing him ski. It's utterly irrelevant what the values are on a scale, what the endpoints are, and whether you or anyone else thinks that implies a big ego or not, as long as people understand what that scale means. So it would possibly have been helpful to give a reference to the particular scale he was calibrating himself against, but never mind, and we're making assumptions along the lines of the Snow and Rock scale or that used by InsideOut skiing - and so assuming he's a moderately competent recreational skier.
ski holidays
freeheelskier wrote:
I think the most importent thing is to have fun up there on the mountain,, What I mean is that I dont like to talk about level on a scale, everyone can all the time be a better skier, even Seb Michaud kan be better,, he is for the moment top 5 in the world for proffesional freeskier, and on a scale 1-10, everyone should say that he is a 10, but what is he when he has skiing 10 more years Puzzled I will say there is 3 kind of level,, Complete beginner, never ski before, and there is, skier that LOVE to ski, skiing with a big smile, and want to be better, and we also have the kind as HORT1, A big EGO that think style is the most importent thing, and forget to be happy, and ski with slower speed, beacause he/she think they looks like better skier than they are,, Love to ski, and be HAPPY Very Happy

3/10 for that post
latest report
Arno, 10 for U,, wink
snow report
GrahamN wrote:
freeheelskier, look, you are clearly completely missing the point about this thread - partly excusable as English is clearly not your first language. You've clearly not understood a thing about this thread if you think HORT1 has a puffed up ego from that initial comment - and you really owe him an apology after your last comment. The point of that scale reference was to give those of us wishing to make helpful comments some idea of his skiing level without having had the benefit of seeing him ski. It's utterly irrelevant what the values are on a scale, what the endpoints are, and whether you or anyone else thinks that implies a big ego or not, as long as people understand what that scale means. So it would possibly have been helpful to give a reference to the particular scale he was calibrating himself against, but never mind, and we're making assumptions along the lines of the Snow and Rock scale or that used by InsideOut skiing - and so assuming he's a moderately competent recreational skier.

+1 Well said

(and a hell of a lot politer than I would have been too)
snow report
HORT1, Ignoring the negative - welcome to snowHead (well the posting bit anyway) Laughing
snow conditions
freeheelskier,
Quote:

and we also have the kind as HORT1, A big EGO

I don't think he does have a big Ego, he describes himself as a competent recreational skier against a vell recognised set of gradings, perhaps if you spent the time to understand the grading system be is using instead of insulting him it may be more helpfull. The following is a representitive sample of levels 5-7

Quote:
5.You are now exploring many more of the groomed runs on the mountain in a wide parallel stance, but may have to use a snow plough if you feel you are getting into trouble on steeper slopes. You’ve noticed that things become easier when you travel faster and enjoy the confidence of being more in control by doing a series of turns. You may have tried an easy Red run, and you may have come across moguls in your travels, but at this stage would not choose to ski them.

6.You are a much more confident skier now that your skis are parallel most of the time; this is because you are skiing faster and you are consistently linking your turns. You have felt the ski carve and enjoy using the shape to help you change direction. You are now able to travel at different speeds on pisted runs. You can ski all Green and Blue Runs and are feeling much more confident on Red runs, you may even have tried a Black run, and you are now choosing to experiment with easy moguls.

7.You are now skiing with strong parallel turns in various conditions and you have begun to develop your ability to ski short & long radius turns. You enjoy the feeling of carving your turns and the speed it brings.You are more accomplished at skiing on Black runs and feeling more comfortable in the moguls but you want to improve. At this stage you want to learn about different types of terrain such as Off-Piste and and how to ski them. You are ideally looking for skis or boots that will help you to excel both on piste and off or even in the terrain park.

Where exactly is the EGO in describing your skiing against that sort of grading?
ski holidays
kevindonkleywood,
Quote:

this is a little,, I dont know,,
To be a racerskier, thats real hard, love to be a freerider, thats not so complicated, and put your money for travel, and make freeriding,,
latest report
GrahamN wrote:
HORT1, agree with what heidiky said. To make the transition from being a competent recreational skier to a racer is one of much closer attention to technical detail, and lots of practice - so as much time as possible training. You also ned some kind of organisation to get practice courses set for you....

Thanks alot for your informative reply Graham, will be actioning parts of it over the following weeks.

Does anyone else have suggestions re skis to purchase other than Fischer SC Superrace?!

Cheers to everyone else for the warm welcome!
snow conditions
freeheelskier, I think now would be a good time for you to exit this thread - quickly, backwards and apologising profusely. You have not only been rude and obnoxious - but you are now making no sense at all. Have you actually read and understood any of it before deciding to stick your oar in? rolling eyes

kevindonkleywood, Interesting... I'm quite chuffed to find myself somewhere around the 6 mark. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Couple more decisions coming up. If you want to skis slalom on snow, you'll need slalom skis (OK, obvious), of length 165cm. For slalom on dry slopes you'll need 155cm (160cm absolute max). Indoor 155 or 165 depending on style of course set (the indoor own series requires 165, the national series allow anything, but set courses expecting 155). Going for a full FIS ski at this point is probably a bit OTT, as you'll find it very unforgiving of mistakes and you'll spend a lot of time on your rear. So probably best to go for some kind of retail 'Race' ski. Head SL is good (particularly on snow, not convinced about them on plastic), I love Stoeckli Laser SL skis (although a bit expensive), Atomic tend to be quite stiff with a hell of a kick in the tail, Salomon 3V are fairly ubiquitous, there're quite a few dryslopers using Elan as they can be pretty cheap ( www.elanskisales.co.uk is the UK distributor). Beyond that you really need to try stuff to see whether it works well for you.

I also didn't really address your opening question about what to do with the rest of the season. I whole week of private lessons may be a bit much (not to say v expensive). You don't say whereabouts you're intending to go, but it'd be worth trying to find some Piste Performance courses or group lessons, which may be a bit more cost-effective. I normally recommend something like Snoworks at this point, but their Piste Performance course is probably a bit basic for you, and their intro race weeks are all in the autumn. But the principle is right - find out what you need to work on, start working on it, and maybe have a few check-back sessions to see whether you're still doing it right.

If you wanted to try some self-help, there is a series of 6 DVDs produced by FastMan who pops in here from time to time ( www.yourskicoach.com ) . These are a bit dry - essentially a progression of drills to improve your basic skill set - but the DVDs on Basic and Advanced Balance are really good. I'm not quite so convinced about the value for money on the two concering Basic/Advanced Edging, but he's pretty good also on the last two Angulation/Transitions, which really need to be taken as a pair (although some coaches differ with his emphasis when applying to typical recreational skier skill levels).

Also how old are you? Can make a big difference if you're a fit keen teen or a washed up old fart (like me).
snow report
Schuss in Boots, Here here!!! Do people just look for threads to be annoying on!?!?

HORT1, Ski Bartletts have a MASSIVE range of race skis and Terry is like the wizard of racing. And the shop is 'down south' (i'm a northerner, can't be more specific!) Just depends on whether you want new or second hand really.
snow report
Looking at who heidiky is working for at the moment, she's being very good in not pimping herself, but this looks like exactly what you're looking for (disclaimer: I'm sorry to say I've not heard of her or them before, so I'm going on nothing other than what's written on that page).
latest report
Schuss in Boots, nice post, but possibly a tad idiomatic for his linguistic capabilities. wink Actually, talking of arrogant, I wouldn't try to post in a foreign language of which I wasn't totally in command. That smacks of arrogance in itself, IMV.
snow report
GrahamN wrote:
Looking at who heidiky is working for at the moment, she's being very good in not pimping herself, but this looks like exactly what you're looking for (disclaimer: I'm sorry to say I've not heard of her or them before, so I'm going on nothing other than what's written on that page).

Cheers again Graham, am in the 20s to answer your previous question.

That technical camp does look ideal not sure if you have any more info regarding it Heidi, PM me if you'd prefer!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, Exactyment wink (good point though - I considered simplifying it, but the words that sprung to mind were possibly a tad too sharp) Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

Actually, talking of arrogant, I wouldn't try to post in a foreign language of which I wasn't totally in command. That smacks of arrogance in itself, IMV.

The only way to learn a language is to immerse yourself - speak, read, write, listen. Expecting the whole world to speak english is incredibly arrogant, chinese is the language of the future, followed by spanish with english a lowly third. At least he's making the effort, and any constructive feedback will help him improve, if taken on board
ski holidays
nbt, Firstly, your comments aren't relevant - this is an english speaking forum, not the whole world. Secondly, he was given constructive feedback - and then went on to be plain offensive. It was pointed out - politely - and ignored. In anybody's language that's not good behaviour. And I believe that Hurtle's point is that if you consider yourself fluent enough to post on an english speaking forum and screw up - then be prepared to either back down and apologise or take what's coming to you. Failure to do so is plain arrogance. Simples.

And don't get me started on the fact that the OP is a self confessed long time lurker. Treating our new posters in this way is doubly unforgiving in my book. Thankfully the balance has been redressed by the very helpful and informative posts of GrahamN et al.
ski holidays
HORT1, so I'd hope you pick it up pretty quickly. But when you do get around to racing most of those you're going to be up against will be some of the fastest guys around, who'll have 15-20 years head start on you. Don't let yourself get disheartened by that though, and just enjoy it as you rip through the ranks of us oldies!

BTW how do you get work to support you to race? Forces? Police? (although a Met Inspector I know has a bit of a tough time getting the time to race in the alps)
snow report
nbt,
Quote:

Expecting the whole world to speak english is incredibly arrogant
I couldn't agree more and didn't say anything like that. However, an inability to recognize one's own limitations is also a form of arrogance (IMV).

Quote:

very helpful and informative posts of GrahamN et al.
Indeed.
snow report
Quote:

Schuss in Boots, Here here!!! Do people just look for threads to be annoying on!?!?

Unbelievable huh? Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

those you're going to be up against will be some of the fastest guys around

HORT1, I understand the point in your tread, but how old are you? but to start to be a raceskier now?, it will only hurt you. But you seems to ski alot, so I realy think U are a good skier, and U are going to be better, the best way to be a better freeskier, is to live nearby a big mountain, and ski with skier all the time that are better skier than your self, God Luck with your freeskiing, Very Happy
And about my english, I know I dont write well in english, but I have live in US 3 year, and never it happens that sombody complain about how I talk english, now when I live in france I meet english people that complain about that not all off the french crew speak english, and I has to help them to translate, but how many english speak a second language?
snow report
freeheelskier,
Quote:

but how old are you? but to start to be a raceskier now?

This reminds me of a moment with ESF where my 11 year old daughter was expressing a desire to one day become a ski instructor, only to have her ESF instructor whip round and bark at her that she would never be a ski instructor because you needed to start race training by the time you were 5.

Both that ESF instructor and freeheelskier I think fall into the same catagory of person.

freeheelskier, Where did the OP say, "I expect to be skiing world class GS" ?, he mearly wants to start developing some racing skills through some gates, maybe join a local club and do some club level competitions against his collegues at work.

Quote:

it will only hurt you

So by the same token what age limit should I put on teaching people to start skiing?

"Im sorry sir i realise you would like to learn to ski but im afraid that now you are 35 you are too old"

"Im sorry I can't show you any jumps because you are now 16"
latest report
kevindonkleywood,
Quote:

Where did the OP say, "I expect to be skiing world class GS" ?, he mearly wants to start developing some racing skills through some gates, maybe join a local club and do some club level competitions against his collegues at work.
This is exactly the kind of nuance, along with the skiing ability levels cited by the OP, which freeheelskier didn't understand. I'm not criticising either that lack of understanding per se, or indeed his mistakes in written English, merely his arrogance in blithely assuming he's understood everything (and evidently continuing so to assume) and is therefore qualified to mete out categorical advice. That's the issue, not his entirely laudable efforts in a foreign language.
latest report
Hi
Les Deux Alpes glacier is all about ski race training in the summer - its an inspirational place to be to see national race teams training. You can have a go by joining a race camp or hiring a private instructor for some introductory race training. www.glacierskicoaching.com - Rod is a snowsport scotland tutor, Basi level 4 and Alpine Performance Coach. race training is also possible here in the winter, and there are good value appartments to rent or inexpensive summer B&B. Good luck - race training is an excellent way to keep improving and opens up a whole world of fun!
latest report
Hurtle, I cannot agree more,

freeheelskier, I would love to have the skills with french that you have with english. However as Hurtle, says in her post you continue to be rude about the OP despite not understanding the context and despite some very polite corrections from other posters.

As a first time poster HORT1, was asking some good questions and being realistic about his own abilities and what he was looking to do.

freeheelskier, You make a very good point about the general quality of the French spoken by the Britsih, It can be cringingly embarrassing, Perhaps you can run a few posts on 'French for Skiers' Toofy Grin
snow conditions
kevindonkleywood,
Quote:

Perhaps you can run a few posts on 'French for Skiers'
Funny you should say that. I speak pretty good French (not through any linguistic talent, but simply by virtue of having been exposed to the language from infancy) and have skied a lot in France: I would no more dare to weigh in with advice on a French ski forum than fly to the moon!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy