Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice - How good is it?

Poster: A snowHead
ise, thanks for that.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kuwait_ian, You are correct about mining and La Plagne
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowbunny, silver mines apparently in Plagne 1800. There's a bit under one of the 4 man chairs up out of Plagne Bellecote (Colossus ?) which looks like mountains of the moon in winter. Slag heaps, perhaps?
http://www.la-plagne.com/page_h_en.php?id_cat=1&internet=1&id_dest=9&saison=2〈=en

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 2-07-05 14:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kuwait_ian, there's a run called "Les Mines" as well. Silver and lead according to some French sites...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kuwait_ian, Sorry, I'm unsure, but having been there a few times I would agree with your sentiment. Perhaps PG would know. Like Flaine, it seems to need lots of snow to cover rocky bits, and over towards the Les Arcs link there always seems to lots of loose stones to bug the bases Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm with slikedges on this one. Personal perception is a notoriously bad way of assessing reality, no matter where you live.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh no I've been censored Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowbunny, thanks - edited out the question since I'd found (part) of the answer and as you can see PG's confirmed it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kuwait_ian,PG, You guys are way ahead of me here wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kramer wrote:
I'm with slikedges on this one. Personal perception is a notoriously bad way of assessing reality, no matter where you live.

So personal perception that has likely been influenced by commercial considerations multiplied by the personal perception of someone who has little direct knowledge of the subject when evaluating the former gives us what degree of reality? wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG,

You missed the argument first time round, stop trying to start it up again. Honestly the extremes some people will go to just to increase their post count. wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kramer, I think the trouble is that the stats aren't that comprehensive, i.e. snow depths at a couple of sticks placed at fairly arbitrary places in what might be a large domain. That tells me very little about what type of skiing is likely to be had. People look at me strangely when I tell them I go to Megève at either extreme of the season, because it's low, and the stats don't look that great, but I haven't had a single day without skiing in the last several years - you've just got to know where to find the best of it, and occasionally figure out where nearby might have some better or different conditions - relying on locals with knowledge, of course.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kramer, Personal perception as you know, based on experience, is stored cognitively, and where/how it is stored will be based on existing cognitive experience. Given the extensive real time experience of the alpine based correspondents in this thread, I would put my money on their personal perception because of the sheer volume of experiences, notwithstanding any cognitive dissonance. I would be less likely to trust a journalist who had been paid to tell me that a resort is good/or someone who read someone else's perceptions, and lacks their own version of that experience to call upon from memory Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro, how 'bout you come up with some hard data first? But this time please do a more complete analysis. wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
laundryman wrote:
People look at me strangely when I tell them I go to Megève at either extreme of the season, because it's low, and the stats don't look that great, but I haven't had a single day without skiing in the last several years - you've just got to know where to find the best of it, and occasionally figure out where nearby might have some better or different conditions - relying on locals with knowledge, of course.

Quite, a great area and overlooked by many because it's preceived to be too low, and of course, all the better for it Very Happy
snow report
Look everyone, our 4 local vocal snowHeads don't agree with me. They live there. As DB said, if a Frenchman tried to tell me wot it's like to live in the UK from a book he'd read that I disagreed with, I'd feel the same as DB. It's just that even if I told the Frenchman that the books were wrong because of vested interest, he wouldn't HAVE to believe me. Call me naive/gullible etc but I have enough faith in some of these books/writers that they do know what they're on about and they aren't all just fibbing to get me to go to France. Neither am I accusing our snowHead of being misleading either. It's just that research and views from many contributors are likely to be more valid than the views of a few even very knowledgeable, experienced and perceptive individuals.
snow conditions
ise, as you know, across large swathes of the French Alps last season between mid-January and mid-March, given a choice between the likes of Villaroger at 1100m and across the domain at Arc 2000m, or south-facing low altitude resort Réallon with a high of not much more than 2000m compared to Les Orres rising to 2700m+ across the valley, those in the know would have chosen to ski at...

Low altitude.

If you wanted decent snow depths and the best powder, that is wink
latest report
Oh, and I'm sure most snowHead are able to distinguish between sophistic argument designed to win and posts which are in good faith and try to objectively reason. I hope this will remain a reason for the continued success of this site, as compared to one where some people's opinions are more equal than others'.*

* edited

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 2-07-05 18:04; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
slikedges, if you are referring to my post, are you suggesting that my point above isn't entirely based on fact? If you can prove otherwise, than I will happily own up to specious reasoning! But not before.
Quote:
I'm sure most snowHead are able to distinguish between sophistic argument designed to win and posts which are in good faith and try to objectively reason.
on the other hand is an example of argumentum ad populum, the fallacy of trying to sway others by inferring that most people would agree with you on your evaluation of my post....

What might my personal agenda be, as someone with property to rent out in Bourg St Maurice Les Arcs, in suggesting that conditions are great in Austria and quite often, in resorts and domains considerably lower and smaller than Les Arcs?
latest report
PG, Hmmm Villaroger, memories from several ski holidays in Le Pre of walking between the top of Replat and the bottom of Violettes? (the 2nd one) on straw. To me it would be a risky choice-we pay we book-we take the chance! This seems to be one of the probs for holidaymakers-reliable snow whilst we are in resort. Most are unable to book at the last minute, so have to go for "higher" resorts and risk the weather and boiler plate.
snow report
snowbunny, indeed - I was echoing Charlotte's post on the last page, where she said:
Quote:
What seems to be completely missing in this thread is any mention that in ANY resort, in ANY country, at ANY altitude and at ANY time of year you can have good or bad conditons. Those of us who are lucky to ski a lot (or as a profession, or linked to one) see how variable the patterns are.

That said, come and stay in Bourg St Maurice then you can pick and choose between half a dozen resorts according to conditions! wink

As for Villaroger that's two years running now. I've dug out the following from Pistehors, which helps to explain why:
Quote:
Following the end of December snowfall a long blocking anti-cyclone brought almost spring snow conditions to the Northern Alps then from mid-January to mid-March there were fantastic conditions, at least below 2000 meters altitude. If the weather stations at La Gua, situated at 1600 meters in the Vercors massif is compared with that in the Ecrins, some 60km to the west but at almost twice the altitude then, after a late start the Vercors passed the Ecrins snow depth in mid-January, a lead it kept right through to the end of the season. It was not just lack of snow but strong northerly winds that blew with each snow episode at altitude, stripping summits and ridgelines bare. Météo France stated that snow levels above 2000 meters were at a 30 year low for the Savoie. Crevasses on glaciers were poorly bridged and some off-piste skiers and boarders found out to their cost exactly what this meant.

This picture is almost a mirror image of last season, where conditions were better at altitude and in the Southern Alps…..

http://www.pistehors.com/comments/470_0_1_0_C
ski holidays
PG, at the beginning of January it was the same in Megève: there was a thin-ish covering from top to bottom, but the exposed higher parts (Mt. Joly) were windblown - and therefore closed. Definitely better off between the trees, at that time.
snow report
PG, After many years of skiing in France including numerous trips to Chamonix, plus Les Arcs, La Plagne, Flaine, Morrillon, Megeve, Tigne/Val D, Serre Che, Alpe D'Huez, Les Deux Alpes.......My experiences in Val T this Jan have ensured that for the forseeable future my Euros will be going elsewhere (But they are my experiences wink )
snow conditions
DB wrote:
...but where opinions differ greatly then flame wars (and for some reason gardening discussions) tend to start.

How often should I be watering my hanging baskets at the moment? It was twice a day last week but the weather's a bit more miserable now.

snowHead
snow conditions
slikedges wrote:
Oh, and I'm sure most snowHead are able to distinguish between sophistic argument designed to win and posts which are in good faith and try to objectively reason. I hope this will remain a reason for the continued success of this site, as compared to one where someone's personal agenda may have to be given first credence.

Agenda ? Oops.. you've got me bang to rights, there's no fooling you I can see.

My agenda, that people ought to get off their butts and not behave like mindless sheep, that they should try something just a tiny bit different instead of following the herd is exposed for all to see, I'm so ashamed Embarassed

Or do you suppose I've some lucrative sponsorship deal somehow? Puzzled
snow report
nforne wrote:
DB wrote:
...but where opinions differ greatly then flame wars (and for some reason gardening discussions) tend to start.

How often should I be watering my hanging baskets at the moment? It was twice a day last week but the weather's a bit more miserable now.

snowHead

One of the many benefits of living in one of Englands quaintest villages (namely Manchester) is that you don't have to water hanging baskets because it's normally raining NehNeh
ski holidays
DB, I thought you were going to say because they've normally been nicked by the time you've filled the watering can! Very Happy
ski holidays
ise,

The Austrian Tourist board has been on the blower. They are sending my cheque out tonight in Euro's but asked if you wanted yours paid into the same swiss bank account as last time in Swiss franc as per usual.

They said keep up the good work wink

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 2-07-05 18:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman wrote:
DB, I thought you were going to say because they've normally been nicked by the time you've filled the watering can! Very Happy

That's that other quaint village up there called Liverpool. It's best to make sure the hanging basket is there before you go out to watr it, saves you losing the watering can and your watch as well. wink

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 2-07-05 18:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
DB, I must be doing something wrong. All I got was a call from the Bourg St Maurice Tourist Office telling me to shut up or they'll send someone round to take what's left of the 50 free keyrings back that they gave me for the EOSB.
snow report
PG wrote:
DB, I must be doing something wrong. All I got was a call from the Bourg St Maurice Tourist Office telling me to shut up or they'll send someone round to take what's left of the 50 free keyrings back that they gave me for the EOSB.

All I can say is you hang on to those 48 keyrings they might be worth something one day.
ski holidays
PG, There's always ebay- we won't tell snowHead
ski holidays
PG, those keyrings were cool, I'm buying a new car to go with mine Very Happy

DB, tell them to send one of the Tyrol area passes again in a brown paper envelope.
snow report
Yes, agenda was the wrong word. Have corrected.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy