Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton half term - anyone there and a few tips please

Poster: A snowHead
Seems to be a St Anton day, I'm off there at half term with my 15 year old daughter, just the 2 of us, is anyone else there? It would be good to meet up particularly with other teenagers.

It's my first time there, in fact my first ever trip to Austria, can anyone help please with?

- is there a carte neige equivalent in Austria?
- what's the situation with the unpisted ski routes (are they avalanche patrolled, safe, etc)?
- day trips to Zurs/Lech - is post bus or ski bus best way to get there and back?
- I'm staying near to the Nasserein lift, any bar/restaurant tips nearby (I know of Fang Bar, St Antonio Pizzeria and Romantic Burg - expensive one I think)
- anything else I should know!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Colin B, Post bus to Lech Colin - €6 but avoids the horror crowds of the free ski bus
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't know about an Austrian carte neige.
The ski routes are marked but some are pisted occassionally (don't think the black routes are)
We've always taken a taxi but then again there are usually 6/7 of us when we're there. You can ski to Alpe Rauz and take the bus from there but as red27 suggests, the Post Bus does seem a decent option.
If you're staying near the Nassereinbahn, it's around a 10-15 min walk from the Galzigbahn, so you could quite easilly enjoy some of the apres at Mooserwirt etc and walk back to your hotel/chalet. Any time we've stayed near the Nasserein end of town, it's been in a hotel so we've not eaten out that end but I believe there is decent choices.
Please do not overlook the Griabli, which sits across from the Mooserwirt. Better beer and service than the Moos and brilliant when live music on (last year it was the Snow Tones). Underground on the Piste is another one overlooked (ourselves included) - on the ski down to the town from the Moos etc just on your right before you leave the piste.
Rendl is a good day 1 place to hit. Quieter than the rest of St Anton, well pisted and the ski routes are pretty easy to start getting your ski legs on. Good big restaurant (modern self service but all good) and nice wee place down near the bottom to stop of for drink/lunch.
Enjoy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
do not come down the run into st anton at around 4. there are too many retards skiing it then.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In addition to as pdx says above, avoid run 24 after 2-3pm in to Nasserein. It's safer to take the gondola. Never in my life have I seen such volumes of numpties!

There's a pizza place bang opposite the Nasserein lift does excellent pizzas and will also deliver.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi can you easily ski into and out of St Christoph and Stuben ??
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
juliebenn, Yup
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks boabski also would you know if i went up the valluga 1 chairlift - can i then ski the red 19 and join the red 14 as on the map there seems to be a button lift in the equation and i cant work it out unless the button lift takes you down !! can you help ??
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's a T-bar (Vallugalift) that takes you up and gives you access to the itineraries back towards Anton itself, or the long run down to Rauz and Stuben. Personally, unless I was doing the itineraries, I'd take either the 3 man Schindlergratbahn and down to Rauz from there, or down to the Arlemahderbahn (much warmer than the Schindlergrat as it's got a cover on the chair). Do be aware that to get to Schindlergrat or the run down to Arlenmahder there is quite a flat/uphill that may require a lot of pole work, or walking if you are a snowboarder. One of the other reasons I tended to get the Arlenmahderbahn is that after several attempts I managed to have enough speed on my board to be able to do it without coming to a halt or requiring a push/drag from skiiers.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Colin B wrote:
Seems to be a St Anton day, I'm off there at half term with my 15 year old daughter, just the 2 of us, is anyone else there? It would be good to meet up particularly with other teenagers.

It's my first time there, in fact my first ever trip to Austria, can anyone help please with?

- is there a carte neige equivalent in Austria?
- what's the situation with the unpisted ski routes (are they avalanche patrolled, safe, etc)?
- day trips to Zurs/Lech - is post bus or ski bus best way to get there and back?
- I'm staying near to the Nasserein lift, any bar/restaurant tips nearby (I know of Fang Bar, St Antonio Pizzeria and Romantic Burg - expensive one I think)
- anything else I should know!

Carte neige:
-There is the Arlberg safety card, that costs €12 for 8 days and covers mountain rescue. Definitely get this! I see people getting helicoptered every day...

Ski routes:
-Avy controlled, yes but they're all tracked out by now and mogul fields. You can still find fresh powder if you look hard enough though.

Lech/Zürs:
-Do NOT take the Post bus.. it's a Be Nice please! nightmare. It costs €3.80 (one-way), €5.50 (return), there's always a battle to get your skis on.. and it's a nightmare to just get your skis on and off. Take the free bus from Alpe Rauz. It takes around 8 minutes to Zürs, 12 minutes to Lech and runs every 10 minutes. Just don't get stuck in Alpe Rauz on the way back! Last lift from Alpe Rauz is at 4.20, so you need to leave Lech at around 3.30 really.

Bars near Nasserein:
-Nassereinerhof is great - go to the kellerbar and enjoy a beer or some food if you want.

There's a ski show on Wednesday at 9pm which runs 45 minutes.. it's not too good but if you want to know more about the history of alpine skiing and the techniques it may be something that interests you..

Quiet areas are usually Rendl, Stuben, St. Christoph, Sonnenkopf (absolute nightmare to get via public transport).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dunno if it's running this season, but there's a bus from Stuben to Sonnenkopf which makes getting there from Anton no different to getting to Lech/Zurs from Anton really.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Rodel-Alm restaurant just down from the Fang lift does fantastic food and is a good place to stop if you aren't doing the Mooserwirt and just want a relaxed drink at the end of the day.

You MUST do the tobogganing on Tuesday or Thursday night. It's fantastic fun, just pick up the sledge and a pass from the Nasserein gondola. I'd recommend booking the restaurant halfway down (Rodel-Alm again!) for great fondue or grostl.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all, some very useful information there. Surely there must be others there that week!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We'll be there over half term with our 18 year old son, staying in Stuben. The snow has got to be good because it's due.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Colin B, book a table for where you want to eat in the evenings - they all get mighty busy. I like the Dorfstubn restaurant Smile

Re the post bus, there's a crate at the back - just chuck your skis in there, easy. In half term aim for the early ones - 9.00am latest
ski holidays
red 27, the post bus is horrific.. If your skis are first to go on you have to wait for the other 50 people to smack each other out the way to get their skis off.. and if you're the last to put your skis on, you'll find your skis full of grit and filth. I really don't understand why anyone in their right minds would willingly take the post bus to Lech.. especially in half-term.
ski holidays
Timmaah, Laughing sounds like fun!

I must admit I've only ever used it From Lech, or out of season when it was 2/3 empty and very pleasant.
ski holidays
Sounds fun! What's it like for those going in the opposite direction? Gonna be working in Lech but visiting Anton every so often, won't have my snowboard tho, not allowed to board until March.
latest report
The buses from Lech to St. Anton aren't that bad because most people take the free bus to alpe rauz... It gets busy around 4-5.. but it's been pretty hit & miss these past few weeks on whether its busy or not.

If you're in a group of people you could always take a taxi - €48 (max. 8 people)
snow conditions
Timmaah, It's just him and his daughter
latest report
Not sure if anyone else has touched on it - but if you can, take your own skis. Ski & boot rental is horrific there - although I suppose it needs to be weighed up against flight supplements... I took the wrong skis and ended up renting for a couple of days. Shocked
snow conditions
Timmaah wrote:
red 27, the post bus is horrific.. If your skis are first to go on you have to wait for the other 50 people to smack each other out the way to get their skis off.. and if you're the last to put your skis on, you'll find your skis full of grit and filth. I really don't understand why anyone in their right minds would willingly take the post bus to Lech.. especially in half-term.

If it's busy you can put your skis in the luggage area under the bus, much easier to get to, especially if you are not staying on to the end of the line.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy