Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stiff boots for wide footed rider

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My mate currently has Dialogues but is getting pain in the arch of his foot.

He is thinking of some new boots but wants ones that can have the foot beds customised to suit his monkey feet.

Has anyone got any feed back on Ions and Malamutes and any recommendations of others to try?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have wide very wide feet and run some Ion HD's.

As delivered they crippled me, as do all boots, but being Burton crippled me a little less than other makes. Not being a complete surprise I put my trusty homemade boot stretcher (pic in media zone) and after pushing them about a bit, they fit like old slippers. Every so often I give them a little stretch, as they relax back a bit, but it's no big deal. The stretchers in there at the mo, as I'm off to Panorama in a couple of days, for a couple of weeks.

As regards the Ions, personally It's the best boot I've worn for all mountain, not so good if you're a park monkey. I like stiffer boots. Doubt if they will fit out of the box, IME though, if your mate has WIDE feet.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bar shaker, Malalut is the best in MO, stiffer again next year and can be made to fit wide feet.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wide feet usually means Burton or 32 - but I bow to SMALLZOOKEEPER's superior knowledge if he can modify Malamutes to fit wide feet!

Agree with BCjohnny, Burton Ions have worked well for my wide feet. Also previously got on well with Burton DriverX, but I've just got a new set of those and I'm struggling a bit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SS20 in oxford has salomon synapse wides for £142.50 on sale from £190 and Solutions 4 feet is out that way for a footbed or even advice on the right type of superfeet green,black,blue etc.
Which are packaged trim to fit footbeds about £35 thru £45.
Even these may need to be observed for your arches and heel width etc as many sizes A thru G as I found out.. not just a cut to lenght sizing deal.
I found the thickness had to be right in the forefoot with myself,providing a major feel/fit difference and thickness varys on superfeet colours and models.
The combination of boot width fore and aft and footbed seems to be key towards a more serious approach to good wider fit.

If you want the synapse wides very few places carry the wides,that I know of.
I would,nt buy narrow malamutes unless someone like SZK (or BCjohnny) could stretch them wider has done it before and you could visit next day after riding just in case they needed another push.
I would only believe it really when I rode the stretched malamutes but possibly a good footbed would stop further widening of your foot a little or alot.... I just don,t know.
They are a reconised good boot but 100mm wide in the shell without liner.. aprox... size 27.5cm!
I wore a pair for years they are very durable but hurt so much in my case .
Synapse wides are about 5mm,s more and Ions about 15mm,s more... thats wider again in the shell over malamutes.

I have some stickered 2010 dialogue wides to get rid of with a softer flex but the synapse is a little stiffer boot and will last longer.
No Idea where to get dialogue wides now they are different design this season as well perhaps softer than before.

The guys above corrected me and advised me previously on Ions being wider,this proved to be a 100% correct.

I rode the Ions and they are definately a wider boot as above and work for myself but my leading foot rolls a tiny bit and burns if carving hard.. £280rrp... so on sale about £209 -228 notes?
I think perhaps the Ions even better than synapse in some small ways as far as riding goes .
I felt them better toeside carving hard at a 100kg, than my synapse and found myself riding lower off piste strangely.

I have no Idea about burton/salomon liner or shell quality but Colin at solutions said mr norris burton serow boots had the goods in the imprint3 liner and was surprised, so Ions probably do too being imprint 4 liners.
Serows are still available in japan along with other asian fit burton models.

I also went with SZK,s 12mm shell gap on one pair and 15mm on another and with some needed thinner insoles in the forefoot area its a world of difference once they are broken in.
I have come down 1.5-2cm sizes in salomon and .5cm in burton.
This in combination with a footbed is a game changer.

I could see no difference in half mondo sizes in Salomon boots in feel or measurement the insole thickness is thinner on the half sizes only.

The salomon cheap inner-sole is just a few mm thinner on the half size (mondo half point size),no other lenght change at all in shell or liner that I could tell.
Unless someone in the know can tell me different?

Burton does change the last or boot size on the half mondo sizes so burton says as I asked when they sent replacement laces and a little lace tool to the resort hotel.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 17-07-11 15:15; edited 7 times in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you can find them on ebay then the Burton serow is the best boot I have ever ridden...

Wide,
stiff where you need it
decent ankle modulation (often a problem with stiff boots like the driver which are to stiff IMHO)
vibram sole.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sickandwrong store has wides.
Probably to late now for Barshaker but the price is right with this harder to find salomon wide boot.
They only have a few (larger sizes only unfortunatly) 2011 Salomon Synapse wides around the £120 mark.
Think this store is in newcastle but bring it up online and check it out.
Some small but good improvements with salomons lace hooks too.

Sickandwrong also surprisingly has Voile Mojo RX splitboard sets complete with Voile lowprofile splitboard bindings on sale. Which is the first I have seen sold in UK.
Hope this is of interest to someone at around (Ithink it was £750) in 161,166,171

Half dozen more brands will have splits next season but probably not at this price or with low profile slide on the puck bindings, complete ready to skin.
So I thought it worth a mention as I,m not sure the Atomic split will be around ... or on sale like before at £420.
I ran low profile split bindings last season so think thats another benefit and a one stop shop setup.

These Voile splits are cap construction with some early rise or nose rocker,tapered , not sure on how much camber but if you have ridden this type of rocker you will know.
They will ride easier than the last Voile splits,this would be my assumption going on similar rocker profile rides... givern the right rider weight/flex/lenght combo.

I have heard only very good things about Voile USA customer service which is relevant givern more bits and pieces with splits to go wrong ie,connections pieces, pins / T.brackets, bindings and skins kit.

I saw the new K2 split at $2000nz/£1000 and the new Burton split in S&R here and I would consider this one on price alone if looking and not going to the states.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't know how big his monkey feet are, but a pain in the arch of the foot can sometimes be caused by boots being done up tooo tight. I get pain in the arch of my feet from indoor slopes and using button bars too much. Normal mountain riding, no problem at all.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ive boarded for 20 years now and always had sore feet , last season i bought a pair of K2 T1s and they are the comfiest boots ive ever ridden in (very stiff). iive tried burton, vans, northwave, salomon and 32s, but i swear by the K2 T1s for a wide footed rider Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
we've put up our range of Snowboard boots on our FB page now, it's our first season with such depth. Ride have smashed into the market, their new boot designers have really pulled it out of the bag, and for my money are way better than their Sister Company's K2's offerings pound for pound. Deeluxe are and have always been bomber and of course we continue with Salomon, the Malamute again being beefed up this year. Hopefully you guys will finally be able to ride a whole season with the same boot!!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/SOLEbootlab?sk=app_135607783795

Give page a few seconds to fully load!!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy