Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

VERY wide boots

Poster: A snowHead
I've been to see a very nice man in Bicester about boots. He's sold me some ski boots (Head Edge), widened them for me, and sold me custom liners that have been moulded to my feet (all across two visits, with a visit to Hemel Snow Centre in-between). Despite all of this, I was able to spend only 15 minutes on the slope at Hemel today before having to stop because of the pain of the compression across the foot.

Apparently, we can try stretching the boots a little more, and maybe try remoulding the liners, but we're very close indeed to the limits of what can be achieved using high-street boots, even with stretching and custom liners. So, what I'm after is some help from people about where I go from here, on the assumption that it turns out not to be possible to get them to fit. Does anyone know of boots that are even wider than the Head Edge, and that's including the toe-box as well? If not, then does anyone know about custom boots? We've spent a LOT of money on this holiday so far, and do not want to cancel. If I have to pay a few hundred pounds more to get custom boots in order to still be able to go skiing, then I shall certainly consider it!

Any help much appreciated Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Atomic B series? I'm using Atomic B7 boots which are my most comfortable to date. With these I was able to go half a size smaller than my old Technica boots which were also high-volume.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stroltz at glide and slide uk shop
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DaKid, If you've got Zip-Fit liners, expect it to take about 5 days in them before they mould properly. I couldn't stand wearing mine for much more than 20 minutes at first. Thought I'd made a huge mistake, but I persevered and now they're perfect. CEM knows his stuff, stick with it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, nessy. I'd guess that CEM knows of those boots, and that he's not suggested them before indicates that they might not be suitable, but I certainly appreciate the recommendation.

Spyderman, not zip-fit ... just custom moulded jobbies, to replace the standard liners of the boots (assuming zip-fit means in some way putting on liners and then boots, rather than both together).

I've emailed Strolz, vipul ... thanks. Let's see what they say. They're not exactly close, location-wise, and their mobile-service is damn expensive, but if I get guaranteed, well-fitting boots then so be it ... it's certainly something to seriously consider!!

Anyone have any other ideas?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DaKid, Zip-Fit Liners replace the standard liner and have a cork putty compound in them which moulds slowly to the shape of your foot and the inside of the shell. CEM sells them too.

If you're having problems you really should be talking to CEM some more.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spyderman, I have no intention of giving up until CEM does! I just don't believe that that stage is so very far away though Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DaKid, Well seems you have given up already based on the above statement

The liner is an intuition universal, it is about the most moldable thinnest liner out there, there is still a good bit of scope for stretching the shell, especially as you told me the area it was tight was further back on the boot, we stretched the toe box with a bit but there is probably 3-4mm more to go on other areas at least

The reason we did not go into the b tech boot is that the heel pocket is much narrower than the edge and your foot would be struggling to even get into the shell in that area
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CEM wrote:
DaKid, Well seems you have given up already based on the above statement

Not giving up at all, CEM (see my PM), just trying to get alternatives ready in case they're needed. I have a fixed time-scale (i.e. my holiday at the end of March) so if I need to pursue other avenues to get well-fitting boots then I would prefer to spend the time now finding out about them, rather than leaving it until potentially too late!

I have nothing but praise and gratitude for the work and advice you given thus far, and I have no intention of giving up before you do! Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I doubt any of us will come up with something CEM doesn't know about, if nothing else because we have the boot thread every couple of weeks and CEM is a frequent visitor Wink However daleboot comes to mind? Or surefoot?

Sounds like you have options in your existing boot still though, so I'd give another stretch a try.

aj xx
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks a.j.. I'm also very optimistic that CEM can sort me out Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DaKid, It's better to stretch a boot in stages, you can easily make it bigger, but it's a lot harder to make it smaller.
The ideal is a small as possible, but as big as necessary.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DaKid, Happy to be corrected but these all seem like worthwhile steps:

1. make sure you're sporting the thinnest socks possible. Falke SK5 Austrian Ski Race socks are the thinnest I've found that protect your bony bits (ankle, shin). 32% silk. Very fit for purpose. Another link, in-case the first is out of your size.

2. wear your liners & boots around the house for as long as you can bear it every evening - don't leave it until your holiday to start wearing them for extended periods. You might even want to wear them with thicker socks or put bunion pads on the pressure points to try and pack them out faster in the specific areas, CEM?

3. get into a dome as much as possible before you go to give them a work out. If they start to hurt after 20 mins, take a break and go again. Hopefully you'll be pushing them out that much more each time.

4. most important of all - stick with CEM - like Spyderman says - you don't blow them all the way out 'cause you can't make them smaller. It's a process.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks, flowa. Some good points Smile

I do rather get the impression that I've somehow made people think I was in any way unhappy with CEM, or that I was intending to give up on him. Nothing could be further from the truth!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaKid, you're ok - I know you weren't criticising, just prepping a back up plan. Fingers crossed you won't need one.
snow conditions
flowa wrote:
DaKid, you're ok - I know you weren't criticising, just prepping a back up plan. Fingers crossed you won't need one.

Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy