Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lawsuit against Warren Miller dismissed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A judge has dismissed the lawsuit between ski-film maker Warren Miller and a company bearing his name after arbitrators ruled that Miller sold his name, voice and likeness to the company for films about skiing and snowboarding. The lawsuit was dismissed after both sides agreed to pay their own attorney costs. Warren Miller Entertainment filed its lawsuit in September 2009 alleging that Miller violated their agreements by narrating the ski movie "Refresh" by Denver-based Level 1 Productions.
...In October, arbitrators ruled that four contracts signed since Miller sold his company in 1988 give Warren Miller Entertainment exclusive publicity rights to Miller's name when used in films about skiing and snowboarding.
Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-20/ski-film-maker-warren-miller-lawsuit-dismissed.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is ridiculous. If you want to watch a Warren Miller movie you want to watch one that's actually narrated/directed/produced by Warren Miller, not some moronic company that had the crazy idea they could pay enough money and pretend their crap movies narrated, directed and produced by a bunch of other people could be described as the same thing - without it being a bare faced lie.

Smell the coffee guys. I'm not watching any movie, or buying any DVD from a bunch of shysters.

Come on Warren! When's your next movie?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
crosbie, Well maybe your hero should have thought about that before he sold out to them?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
crosbie, Well maybe your hero should have thought about that before he sold out to them?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stoatsbrother, that Warren Miller accepted money from unscrupulous fools who thought they could buy the power to pretend they were him is another matter. It doesn't change the fact that only Warren Miller is Warren Miller.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
crosbie, He's an old bloke who sold certain rights and then seems to have decided to carry on. My reading of the reports is that no one won here. They just gave up. Personally I think his style went out of date 20 yrs ago and he should let it lie.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stoatsbrother, rights are inalienable. You can't sell them - or rather, charlatans pretend to be able to. How can anyone seriously believe you can sell the right to be you? Morons.

As to whether Warren Miller is old, stylish, popular, worth the time or not, that's up to the beholder. I think he's fine. Some I know can't stand him. But hey, there's only one Warren Miller. He's a human being, not a fricking brand.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
crosbie wrote:
stoatsbrother, rights are inalienable. You can't sell them - or rather, charlatans pretend to be able to. How can anyone seriously believe you can sell the right to be you? Morons.

Well, WM clearly thought he could. It's the usual thing, people like him want the money and also to keep the thing they've sold.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PJSki, the thing is, Warren Miller can't not keep what the gullible think he's sold them. I can sell you my shadow for $5,000 but that doesn't mean I can actually part with it.

Someone evidently approached Warren Miller and asked him if he'd sell them his name so they could make movies and pretend they were Warren Miller movies (conning millions of people). More fool the buyer. Sure, Warren Miller wasn't exactly kind in accepting the fool's money, but it was probably an irresistibly large sum. However much it was, it doesn't actually mean that anyone other than Warren Miller could truthfully be called Warren Miller. Apart from in the minds of people who believe the truth is open to the highest bidder.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
crosbie wrote:
PJSki, the thing is, Warren Miller can't not keep what the gullible think he's sold them. I can sell you my shadow for $5,000 but that doesn't mean I can actually part with it.

Someone evidently approached Warren Miller and asked him if he'd sell them his name so they could make movies and pretend they were Warren Miller movies (conning millions of people). More fool the buyer. Sure, Warren Miller wasn't exactly kind in accepting the fool's money, but it was probably an irresistibly large sum. However much it was, it doesn't actually mean that anyone other than Warren Miller could truthfully be called Warren Miller. Apart from in the minds of people who believe the truth is open to the highest bidder.

So WM is a charlatan (your word) then?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PJSki, the question as to charlatanism is whether WM proactively offered the 'right' to his name for sale, or whether some mug film company begged to buy the 'right' they already believed they could buy.

I don't know. It's possible WM is a charlatan. It's possible he's not, but that a film company misguidedly believed they could buy such a right.

I have an open mind. snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
crosbie wrote:
PJSki

I have an open mind. snowHead

Clearly, as evident by the amount your position has shifted.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PJSki, This is not about my position (which hasn't shifted, I simply don't rule out the remote possibility that WM is a charlatan), but about the stupidity of a lawsuit arising over WM continuing to utilise his own name (an inalienable right qua shadow) despite having sold what he cannot actually sell.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy