Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My last hat-wearing buddy just bought a helmet

Poster: A snowHead
ajpaul wrote:
Reason 4 sold it for me. I am a Norse God!

Any tips on keeping the horns on the sides stuck on?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
narc wrote:
ajpaul wrote:
Reason 4 sold it for me. I am a Norse God!

Any tips on keeping the horns on the sides stuck on?

Just drill the holes and bolt them on.

I'm loving the OP. As a helmet wearer it confirms everything I believe to be true.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whitters wrote:

So, my friend, did the Nazi Stormtroopers, according to the comic books I read as a nipper. On the other hand the brave British Commandos only wore bobble hats, whilst heroically machine-gunning them in the back.

While the Swiss got splinters from the wooden fence counting the Nazi gold.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sentry: Ach Hans I wish we were back in Hamburg right now, the girls on the Reeperbahn are so...ughhhhhhhh

Commando: Rolls his piano wire back up and returns to top pocket, bobble hat akimbo.

...to be continued....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

the brave British Commandos only wore bobble hats

Shocked berets, not bobble hats!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No pam w, definitely woolly hats!

From the Commando memorial in Spean Bridge, not far from Fort William:

The toy soldiers I still have lurking in my parent's loft!:

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kesone1 wrote:
I mostly ski in Chamonix and around there but the majority of good skiers are not wearing helmets especially the locals.

I refer you to Reason 9. Chamonix is full of cheese eating surrender monkeys who think it's cool to puff Gauloises whilst listening to accordian music in their Renault Twingo. They probably even think that emmental and gruyere taste better than cheddar.

Are you sure you trust their judgement?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
manicpb wrote:
Jonny Jones, sounds like you have self confidence issues if you feel you need to do things to make you look younger or better than your actual abilty.

I'd have self confidence issues if I didn't wear a helmet. When I'm helmeted up I can shred the mountain and impress the girls without even trying.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^^^ finally sold it to me. Now I know how to shred the mountain and impress the girls without even trying, I no longer have to worry about being a wanker.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Huh! What? Helmets? I've got one . . . it used to be purple . . . it still is sometimes . . . but I can't remember why Puzzled . . . Why does a cheese eating monkey wand to puff on my helmet . . . I used to smoke

I like norks . . . they fit bobble hats . . .
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
did someone mention norks?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Shimmy Alcott wrote:
yag_si_HS wrote:
I agree Jonny Jones - Helmets are cool !
Especially for the new generation of aggressive young skiers like yourself.
Can I ski with you ?

First rule of skiing - you need snow.

First rule of wearing a helmet - it goes on top of your head, not on the back of it.

The only other option could be that he's such an aggressive skier that the helmets constantly trying to catch him up!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Good on you for wearing a 'skid lid' anyway...It took me a few years to realise that I never mounted 'la velo' without a lid, yet I was prepared to go at on a mountain/dry slope protected by a thin layer of sheeps coat - Doh! Doesn't take a genius to work that one out Shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Norks you say? Where?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
REnE, ah! The old cycle helmets argument.

Quote:
The premise that helmets save lives is by extrapolation from research that has suggested that helmets might reduce injuries to the head. As most fatalities involve head injury (this applies to all major external causes of violent death, not especially cycling), the reasoning is that by reducing injuries to the head, cycle helmets can lead to fewer cyclist deaths.

Whole population data

Whole population statistics for cycling fatalities do not support the above hypothesis.

Long-term analyses of fatalities in Canada [8], New Zealand [9] and USA [10] [11] show no helmet benefit; indeed, one study [11] suggests helmeted cyclists are more likely to be killed. Although fatality rates have generally declined, cyclists have fared no better than pedestrians. In Great Britain, too, there has been no discernible improvement in fatality trends relative to pedestrians as helmets have become more common [12] [13] .

I do often wear a helmet these days - I think that it may spare me nasty cuts and grazes. But that's it. I rarely bother with a cycle helmet.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kesone1 wrote:
Probably get killed for this but exactly the opposite in my experience. I mostly ski in Chamonix and around there but the majority of good skiers are not wearing helmets especially the locals. It's generally gapers pottering around in lids.

Your observations mirror mine exactly. Maybe it's a Chamonix thing?
snow report
Norks you say? Nice lines...

latest report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Norks you say? Nice lines...

I bet they're skiing the new Motorhead Skis, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=73023

Looking at that picture the "Ace of Spades" comes to mind. Toofy Grin
latest report
achilles, could you explain "brain damage from rotational injuries... [...] and the sliding impact friction of helmets." I'm intrigued.
snow report
I bought a helmet last year but as yet, have not been able to bring myself to wear it because I really, really really HATE wearing hats of any kind, unless its below -10' and the pain of frozen ears is graeter than the discomfort of wearing a hat.

Other than a scratch on the cheek, in 3wks/yr for 25 yrs of skiing hard & fast, I've never had a head injury or been badly wiped out (apart from one young lady and that was a nice soft landing) maybe that's luck or that I avoid crowded pistes or that I take more care in areas where a crash would be serious.

If I wore a helmet I would take more risks

If no helmet is 0% protection and the very best helmet gives 100%, then I figure that even the cheapest helmet that meets the relevant BS/eu standards must be good for at least 90%, so for me it was a £10 helmet from Lidl.

A problem I have with ski helmets is that the manufacturers assume that you want to keep your head warm and even the most ventilated models - aren't ventilated enough, maybe a cycle helmet would be better.
ski holidays
Got a pretty helmet today snowHead Laughing
ski holidays
I've tried it, I hated it, I give up and if I come back on here and whine about getting a brain injury after knockin the noggin on one of you lot - shoot me.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=73002
latest report
Can anyone explain to me why some people who wear helmets feel the need to keep telling people who don't to change their ways?

Why not just buy yourself a helmet and go skiing / boarding?

I'm not convinced that altruism is the real motivating factor.
snow report
narc,
Quote:

Any tips on keeping the horn

Im sure thats a differnent topic Toofy Grin
snow report
red 27, We bought ours as it was, we believed, the sensible thing to do. I tried on my first one and said it was itchy. The sales guy said "thats helmets", this was repeated by the sales guy in the second shop. I really hope I love my helmet, its very pretty but I'm yet to be convinced Puzzled
snow conditions
Quote:

narc,
Quote:

Any tips on keeping the horn

Im sure thats a differnent topic Toofy Grin

isn’t that a black diamond, whoops sorry a blue diamond scenario wink
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, mine is sometimes itchy, but often not. But I find the same with hats. It's easier to scratch under a hat, though. I have more than once longed for a knitting needle, when sitting on a chairlift - just the thing for scratching an itch through a ventilation hole. I have been known to hand my poles to the OH, take the helmet off and scratch frantically like a dog with fleas.
latest report
Oceanic wrote:
Can anyone explain to me why some people who wear helmets feel the need to keep telling people who don't to change their ways?

I’ll try. Certainly the 10-point plan for everlasting piste survival outlined at the beginning of this thread, has more than just a smack of buyer’s remorse, sheep mentality, ignorance and a tiny bit of humour about it (but not much humour – more there to tone down the evangelist factor I suspect). I described it as partly post purchase reinforcement, a well-known psychological condition affecting consumers – basically, if you buy a new car, you’ll still flick through car reviews in magazines and on the web to make sure you made the right decision even though you’re stuck with it for years. Of course, you may have bought that particular car because it earned approval from your peer group and this is why you also fell into the helmet purchase trap – a decision that wasn’t really yours so now you have to justify it ad nauseum until more followers are persuaded and your decision begins to feel better and you can lessen the amount of third-party “evidence” you embellish. Donning a helmet because someone else had a head injury or a near miss story is the bit I really don’t understand.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, what helmet do you have?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shimmy Alcott, He skis in A u s t r i a so doesn't need a helmet Very Happy
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, a nice thin merino wool helmet. [blond alert]It's a hat[/blond alert]

Boredsurfing, where there are trees (I'll send you a picture of one), a helmets best friend.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, nooo, My skis have a fatal attraction to tree wells Embarassed
latest report
pam w,
Quote:

when sitting on a chairlift

Quote:

take the helmet off and scratch frantically like a dog with fleas.

wow our dog users her back legs to do this, sitting on a chair lift now that I would like to see Laughing Laughing
snow report
This argument has been going on since Viking times Puzzled
ski holidays
Quote:

super-snowHead

Quote:
The premise that helmets save lives is by extrapolation from research that has suggested that helmets might reduce injuries to the head. As most fatalities involve head injury (this applies to all major external causes of violent death, not especially cycling), the reasoning is that by reducing injuries to the head, cycle helmets can lead to fewer cyclist deaths.

Whole population data

Whole population statistics for cycling fatalities do not support the above hypothesis.

Long-term analyses of fatalities in Canada [8], New Zealand [9] and USA [10] [11] show no helmet benefit; indeed, one study [11] suggests helmeted cyclists are more likely to be killed. Although fatality rates have generally declined, cyclists have fared no better than pedestrians. In Great Britain, too, there has been no discernible improvement in fatality trends relative to pedestrians as helmets have become more common [12] [13] .

I do often wear a helmet these days - I think that it may spare me nasty cuts and grazes. But that's it. I rarely bother with a cycle helmet.

yep, achillies, I'm aware of this research and great sample theory it is as well. But from my working perspective this theory doesn't match up to what I have to deal with first hand in practice. Of course in adult life we're all able to way up the options and consequences of our decisions, so to wear a helmet or not is a personal choice that we've got to live with in the aftermath of whenever anything goes wrong. Question
ski holidays
Not sure about No5 (in Europe at least). I've skied with loads of guides and only ever seen 2 with helmets.

However I had the same experience as you on my first ski trip this year: after years of none or only one of our group wearing a helmet I suddenly found myself the only person not wearing one (other than the guide, that is). Half of these guys are over 60 but clearly they have been persuaded.

I'll probably have to get one now. But I often take my hat off and just ski in sun-glasses (and other stuff from the neck down, by the way).... Hmm. Can you wear a helmet with sun glasses or do you have to carry a second pair of goggles with high quality dark lenses for bright sun?
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Oceanic wrote:

I’ll try.

Can anyone explain to me why some people who don't wear helmets feel the need to keep telling people who do to change their ways?
ski holidays
snowball,
Quote:

Can you wear a helmet with sun glasses
Allegedly this is not 'the done thing'. I do it all the time. Smile
ski holidays
moffatross, you just beat me to that one!
latest report
moffatross, possibly because otherwise they would get bored to death at being preached at? - I ask as a (most of the time) helmet wearer.
ski holidays
achilles, I agree they do, unfortunately, get preached at but the people who get defensive are often pretty antagonistic too and end up giving the pro-helmet preachers more air time. Just a quick slap down and move on would be best as the arguments have really been done to death already.

As it goes, I thought the original '10' reasons' post wasn't just a troll because it was daft & funny, self-deprecating and antagonistic by equal measure. As soon as the thread was hijacked by logic, research evidence and anecdotes, it was bound to go the way of all the others helmet threads on this forum, winterhighland and tetongravity etc, etc.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy