Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My last hat-wearing buddy just bought a helmet

Poster: A snowHead
ww166no wrote:
Esco wrote:
The reason most guides don't wear helmets is that its more dangerous to ski off piste with a helmet, as its far harder to hear the snows reaction.

Um . . . to what? The fashion crime of wearing a helmet?

If you need to ask you'll never know!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I reluctantly succumbed this season after 30 seasons of hat wearing. Sad

I have never worried about skiing sans helmet but there really is too much to lose by not (my family tells me)

My kids have grown up with helmets and think they are cool

In Austria i would say 80/90% wear a helmet now and have better techy gear and more up to date equipment and skis.

In France it still seems to goes against the grain somewhat especially in the less fashionable smalller resorts.

Our Gallic friends seem to have a penchant for very old straight skis,fartbags and no helmets,
maybe that is why they still have good food, long standing traditions and like to stand up for their rights by striking and letting sheep run around causing chaos. wink

We on the other hand folllow the crowd.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cathy wrote:
I was away last with a group who were all hat-wearers Madeye-Smiley Apart from me. They did seem particularly hung up on why people wear helmets, they're never going to, health & safety blah blah blah. And slightly mocking of those who do wear helmets. Which I found a bit strange as I don't care what other people wear on their heads. The OH has had enough knocks on his head falling over on silly blue runs, never mind when he was knocked unconscious last year whilst wearing a helmet, to make me think wearing a helmet might prevent some damage. Obviously not if you're hooning into a tree at 4km/hour Toofy Grin

I've never found my head to be itchy when wearing my helmet Confused

And I see nothing wrong with wearing sunnies with a helmet Very Happy

I was one of the hat wearers on cathy's trip. You'll never guess what I've just bought.......Yup, a helmet!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hedley wrote:
In Austria i would say 80/90% wear a helmet now and have better techy gear and more up to date equipment and skis.

Nah, from my two forays into Austria this season I estimate 30-40% wear helmets. Last went to France in December 09 and it seemed about the same.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My friend's brother lives in Norway. Skied Sunday of last week, bang on the head, not knocked out, little bit fuzzy, got up fairly quickly. His wife skied on a bit after checking him but looked around and he wasn't there. Went back to find him fitting. Pisteurs came and took off mountain. On investigation he was found to have a brain tumour which was operated on last Wednesday. He is hopefully going to be relatively ok as tumour was benign.

Obviously this was a case where lack of a helmet possibly helped. I'm not advocating not wearing a helmet just sharing a story which will hopefully have a happy ending, although a long way to go.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spud9 wrote:
I was one of the hat wearers on cathy's trip. You'll never guess what I've just bought.......Yup, a helmet!

Shocked Shocked oh my days! That fall you had must have done more damage to your brain than we thought Toofy Grin Have you broken the news more widely yet? Toofy Grin

Lou - how horrible! Hope he recovers OK
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was at La Grave last week. I looked at the people queuing to go up the lift on Saturday. All had back-packs, of course, and a large proportion had a harness. 18 had helmets and 22 had hats. Later when I was waiting at P1 a smaller group were similar, but the proportions reversed (more helmets than hats). Very unscientific, I know, but interesting.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[quote="cathy"]
Spud9 wrote:

Shocked Shocked oh my days! That fall you had must have done more damage to your brain than we thought Toofy Grin Have you broken the news more widely yet? Toofy Grin

Yes, the smack on the head in Verbier did start me thinking. Then in La Plagne I was stood at the top of a gully, looking down at a pointy rock outcrop halfway down and thinking how easy it would be to fall and smack my head on the rock. Finally, I'm buying some courage for my La Grave trip in March. Madeye-Smiley

I will be notifying the relevant authorities in the pub tomorrow.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller wrote:
hedley wrote:

Nah, from my two forays into Austria this season I estimate 30-40% wear helmets. Last went to France in December 09 and it seemed about the same.

I would definitely back 80-90% helmet wearers in Schladming - Austria on my last trip, but less in Gastein.

I remember once maybe 30-40 people in front of us when waiting for the chair lift - ALL had helmets.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spud9 wrote:
Then in La Plagne I was stood at the top of a gully, looking down at a pointy rock outcrop halfway down and thinking how easy it would be to fall and smack my head on the rock.
a classic example of helmet-wearing creating a false sense of security. The rock would win 10-0 with or without a helmet.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It would win 10-0 with a helmet, but perhaps 15-0 without?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wigan, the manager would lose his job either way
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The OH and I got helmets at the weekend, which means my lovely new Eisbar hat (and expensive for a hat) that has had one trips use is pretty much now redundant Crying or Very sad But I feel it was probably a good move.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller wrote:
hedley wrote:

Interesting though on the regional variations.

I skiied the Skiwelt/Kitzbuhel area of the Tryol in January and PSV in the southern French Alps last week.

Many many more lids in Austria IIRC.

I think France at this time of year can be affected by the annual exodus from Paris and Marseille(coastal areas),generally once a season family skiers who can be poorly equipped with ancient skis and fartbags,compared to the Austrian skiers who seem more up to date and educated on gear and equipment and how to use it IMO.

I had an intersting conversation with a French Guide last week who wasnt very complimentary about the Parisian influx and their superior attitude he said he could spot them a mile away based on their gear/equipment and
skiing style(or lack of it) and and dreaded the next few weeks.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spud9 wrote:
I will be notifying the relevant authorities in the pub tomorrow.

Laughing I do hope you've got one like Shimmy's Toofy Grin http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/kiana.html
snow report
Tignes in December my straw poll kept coming up 50/50 on the lifts. Probably because half the people in December know what they are doing and are serious skiiers. The other half wear hats because they are noddy crap skiiers. Interesting that the majority of snowboarders were wearing helmets, it was the older skiiers dragging the average down - they're the ones with older thinner bones that probably want to protect their heads a bit more, IMO. Then again a serious injury for the elderly skiiers who think the earth is flat could leave them sitting in a chair pissing themselves, unable to remember their own name - not much to lose for most of them.
snow report
Monium, Hey! I am am elderly skier - wrong side of 60 anyway and have just the same disregard for the flat-earthers as you. I can remember my own name and my chair stays dry.

I do wear a helmet though, but it is only a hat when all is said and done.

A helmet is, in my view, the best kind of hat to wear for skiing. You can agree or disagree. I like my Missions. Others disagree. Personal choice - simple as that. It doesn't mean anything.

snowHead

I want to add that I have always had a lot of respect for your opinions to date. Please try to avoid generalisations - seems to be a bit of a plague of those at present.
latest report
Chris Bish, yeah, his verdict above is knee-jerk shoite (being kind)... but then I have just p155ed myself... nurse...
snow conditions
Chris Bish wrote:
Monium

I want to add that I have always had a lot of respect for your opinions to date. Please try to avoid generalisations - seems to be a bit of a plague of those at present.

Now that is a truly horrible mistake, my opinion is not to be respected, it is there to be disagreed with. Perhaps I should have put a smiley at the end of that post. I do realise there is a small percentage of the population over 60 that aren't incontinent codgers on liquid food. Perhaps you are part of that percentage Wink Plus generalisations are an ideal way of alienating people, which is a speciality of mine, especially when I'm tired and bored.
latest report
Monium, OK you are right about the liquid food. Earlier French red wine, but currently Mount Gay Barbados rum.

Peace!

snowHead
snow conditions
Might I point out that almost all the skiers waiting for the lift to open at La Grave were experts (possibly a third or a half with ropes and harness) - ordinary skiers just don't go there except a few occasionally skiing over the top from Deux Alpes to ski the two "classic" descents with a guide. So it would be plain silly to characterise the half of them in hats as "noddy crap skiiers" (I assume this was a tired provocation rather than a serious comment ). In fact the French holidays do not affect La Grave and February is a good time to ski there.

By the way, my own liquid food on the mountain is a hip flask of Lagavulin which lasts the week.
ski holidays
hedley wrote:
I had an intersting conversation with a French Guide last week who wasnt very complimentary about the Parisian influx and their superior attitude he said he could spot them a mile away based on their gear/equipment and

I dare say he's happy enough to take their euros when they seek his services, though. rolling eyes Care to publish his name so that the rest of us can avoid his own tediously snobbish superiority.

I generally hate generalisations. But the ski guide you quote does seem rather effective at reinforcing the prejudice held by many towards a certain strand of arrogant superciliousness that is reputed to exist in French culture.
snow report
The main reason why parisians are disliked is because all the money is in Paris and the rest of their country men live like peasants.

I know it's a generalisation but it's not far off the mark.
snow report
Bode Swiller, why do all the professionals wear helmets?
snow report
As a helmet virgin not had one issue with mine this week - found the helmet/goggle combo very comfy.
snow report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Professional what? Paris Lawyers and Accountants? (Ski Guides don't wear them.)
ski holidays
Strictly speaking, I don't think accountants need a professional qualification to do their job. Nor do engineers - so Shimmy doesn't mean me. Perhaps she meant Church of England priests, and medical doctors.
snow report
Jonny Jones wrote:
hedley wrote:

I dare say he's happy enough to take their euros when they seek his services, though. rolling eyes Care to publish his name so that the rest of us can avoid his own tediously snobbish superiority.

I generally hate generalisations. But the ski guide you quote does seem rather effective at reinforcing the prejudice held by many towards a certain strand of arrogant superciliousness that is reputed to exist in French culture.

A 'generalisation' it may have been but it was only a light hearted conversation on a chairlift that was partly prompted by watching an out of control skier nearly wipe out a row of stationary skiers minding there own business in a safe place at the edge of the piste.

Due to the massive influx at this time of year of Parisians etc etc many more accidents due to people skiing beyond their perceived abilty level on crowded pistes.

No malice was meant but more a case of 'Mon Dieu' the silly season has started rolling eyes on his behalf.

It would be a tad unfair to label him 'tedious or snobbish,supercilious or arrogant' but he was 'superior' in his skiing ability.

Skiing was his life not just a living for him,he was totally motivated and a credit to his profession.
wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Naw.... I just gone to the dark side. Off to Chamonix next week for a (my 40th) birthday bash and my first ever non family ski trip. Experience tells me that a birthday bash with the lads generally ends up with some permanent scarring, so I bought a lid. Comparing it to various bike helmets I have owned, it seems fairly insubstantial. Should be OK in a pub fight though
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
They don't, unless you mean competitors where helmet-wearing is regulation. Majority of professionals teaching or on the ski patrol are happy in a nice woolly hat still.

Not that long ago the racers didn't wear helmets for GS races like this clip from Calgary Olympics '88. Seems weird watching it now, Tomba didn't even bother with a hat -

http://youtube.com/v/v83azZAa7Nw&feature=related
snow report
Esco wrote:
The reason most guides don't wear helmets is that its more dangerous to ski off piste with a helmet, as its far harder to hear the snows reaction.

First semi-convincing argument I've heard against helmet wearing, not quite buying it though. You can take the earpads out of most helmets, and my experience is that I can hear 95% as well when wearing my helmet - the helmet I use for kayaking is the same as my ski lid, and I can hear mates talking on the river jsut fine, even with the roar of rapids/waterfalls as background noise. I've only ever skied with one guide though, and that was a few years ago now.

Quote:

They don't, unless you mean competitors where helmet-wearing is regulation. Majority of professionals teaching or on the ski patrol are happy in a nice woolly hat still

Not so sure about that, 90% of my colleagues in Saalbach wear a helmet, in fact the only one's who don't are those in the kids nursery area. I'd agree with the earlier statement that about 80% of skiers in Austria use them too, notably in Nordkette (where you tend to only get good skiers after the offpiste) pretty much everyone wears a helmet.

But whatever, this has been done to death, let people decide themselves whether to wear one or not.
snow report
I've succumbed after my first experience of a blood wagon last season. Damage was bad enough and I was very lucky. Noggin now in full (top)nut shell
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
As a helmet virgin

Too much smut, so little time.

Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy