Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche shovel material

Poster: A snowHead
I'm in the process of putting together avalanche equipment and want to know if if its worth the extra £10 getting the 6061 T-tempered blade over the standard aluminium blade. It is a Voile telepack shovel that I am looking at

http://www.voile-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=404&Category_Code=Pack-Series&Product_Count=0

from

http://www.snowboardexperts.co.uk/item/prod/voile-telepack-shovel/391/

It appears to be the cheapest full size aluminium bladed shovel available in the UK. I don't want to waste a tenner but then again I don't want to someone to die needlessly for the sake of a tenner. Will it actually make a difference?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've also been looking. Are the plastic shovels really not worth buying?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No idea on Tempered vs Aluminium but plastic shovels are not worth it - having practiced digging in avalanche debris it really is tough.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Read this and then make your mind up

http://www.telemarktips.com/TeleNews69.html

Facewest won't stock them because they view them as not up to the job, and they would make money selling them.
The difference in price between a plastic one and the aluminium one I posted a link to is just so small that I wouldn't risk it
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My shovel (BCA tour - with probe in handle) stays in the boot of my car when I'm not skiing. As far as I know, it's just aluminium (no fancy tempering or titanium tipping etc) but it's been used to dig my car into parking spaces & dig it out of snow drifts on several occasions & honestly, you'd hardly notice that it wasn't brand new. If digging against stones and asphalt doesn't perceptibly harm it, I can't imagine that anything about a rescue situation would hamper it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, I'll get the standard one then and try to ensure that I never have to find out
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sweaman2 wrote:
No idea on Tempered vs Aluminium but plastic shovels are not worth it - having practiced digging in avalanche debris it really is tough.

In real life I bet this guy was glad his mate had a plastic shovel. You may be able to dig someone out of avalanche debris that is much denser with an metal blade - but whether the guy you are attempting to rescue would have survived being buried in that stuff is another matter.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rambotion, Forget plastic blades. There is no reason to buy one over a metal one.
If going for Voile , have a look at the D handle models as they are ergonomically much better in tests according to those that know.

http://www.avalanche.ca/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?DocID=5c956bbb-c147-4aed-a002-6b5c1fb66a0e&MediaID=86e068df-da99-4cc0-b686-c7364959c174&Filename=Manuel+Genswein+shovel+review.pdf

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/voileteleprot6shovel-p-4893.html
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For an earlier discussion of plastic v. metal I think this thread covered most if not all bases.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles, that is a very sobering video.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jimmjimm wrote:
rambotion, Forget plastic blades. There is no reason to buy one over a metal one.....

Certainly was when I bought mine and gave away my metal-bladed shovel to easiski for her car - it was lighter. As any back-country skier or walker will tell you, every little bit of weight saved reduces tiredness as the day wears on - so one is less likely to make a mistake or a bad decision. So one is less likely to have an incident in the first place. I have certainly avalanche debris that I would not have liked to tackle with my present blade - but I think the trauma of having been buried in that stuff would probably have killed me anyway, no matter what shovel I was eventually dug out with. The video I linked to above shows a real life incident - the plastic shovel (looks as though it was a good-quality one like an Ortovox) worked.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One thing that I didn't realize until watching an Avalanche program at the weekend is that during an avalanche heat is created from the snow. The avalanche snow collides / rubs together and this increases the temp causing the snow to melt in many instances (e.g. in Europe's higher temps). This was evident on a thermal camera they were using. The snow then refreezes after the avalanche and means you are not buried in superlight powder but in compacted wet snow that has refrozen.

Maybe things have changed but a metal shovel was the way to go as they were more sturdy then plastic.

http://www.telemarktips.com/TeleNews69.html

http://hubpages.com/hub/Avalanche-survival-Carrying-the-right-gear-may-save-your-life

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 28-01-11 10:03; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
achilles, you're really on a crusade on this, aren't you?

wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, only when provoked Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
achilles wrote:
jimmjimm wrote:
rambotion, Forget plastic blades. There is no reason to buy one over a metal one.....

Certainly was when I bought mine and gave away my metal-bladed shovel to easiski for her car - it was lighter. As any back-country skier or walker will tell you, every little bit of weight saved reduces tiredness as the day wears on - so one is less likely to make a mistake or a bad decision. So one is less likely to have an incident in the first place. I have certainly avalanche debris that I would not have liked to tackle with my present blade - but I think the trauma of having been buried in that stuff would probably have killed me anyway, no matter what shovel I was eventually dug out with. The video I linked to above shows a real life incident - the plastic shovel (looks as though it was a good-quality one like an Ortovox) worked.

So how much weight saving are we talking about? I'd say max 300 grams.

Really not looking for an argument or to be right here but are you sure you want to give that sort of advice to people who could end up trying to dig through compacted frozen snow with a piece of plastic?

http://www.justgetout.net/Wenatchee/14054

Quote:
Metal vs. plastic. Shoveling avalanche debris is a bit of a misnomer. When moving snow comes to a stop, it sets up and can be rock hard. The correct technique for uncovering your partner is more of a chop and then remove sequence than it is shoveling. The best material for this job of chopping is metal. Metal blades are more durable and hold up much better than plastic ones under repeated chopping. The characteristics of aluminum also allow for less deflection than a plastic blade. Deflection is when the chopping force of the blade bounces off a material because the blade bends. Less deflection allows for better chopping, which is important for avalanche debris.

Quote:
Weight. Once again, when you need a shovel, you really need a shovel. This type of critical safety equipment is not the place to save weight. Look elsewhere in you backcountry kit if you want to shed grams.
snow report
achilles wrote:
sweaman2 wrote:

In real life I bet this guy was glad his mate had a plastic shovel. You may be able to dig someone out of avalanche debris that is much denser with an metal blade - but whether the guy you are attempting to rescue would have survived being buried in that stuff is another matter.

OMG...I've never seen that footage before. It made me breathless just watching it. Makes you think twice. Never go offpiste on your own in my book.
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
rob@rar, only when provoked Very Happy

You're easily provoked on this one wink
snow report
i can sort of take the point that if you have a plastic shovel already you might not want to replace it. i can't think of any reason to recommend buying a plastic one to someone who is buying a shovel for the first time
ski holidays
achilles,
Here's the one for you. http://www.snowboardexperts.co.uk/item/prod/voile-xlm-shovel/393/
nice and light.
snow conditions
jimmjimm, good one - I think my Orange Ortovox is 600g - and low cost. Buying a 3rd shovel during my off-piste skiing career does excessive, since I think what I have does the job - and my shovel handle looks to be longer when extended. But were I buying afresh I'd look at that.
snow report
achilles,
All things look longer when extended wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy