Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

bad knees

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
im a 47 yrs old man and have skied since my early 20s,
but i have just been told by my doc that my knees are shot, bone on bone and that they are not going to get any better.
skied one week in les menuiers in jan helped by knee braces and pain killers... very painful.

To the point, would swapping to snowboarding be any less pressure on these old knees ?
I have been watching those damned young people just standing around on their boards but moving twice as fast as myself. Shocked
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not much difference on a board. Search on here for Ski Mojo, I have one and love it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
new knees?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another vote for a Ski Mojo. I do think boarding is ultimately a bit easier on the knees in that serious knee twists are less likely with both your feet clamped firmly to a board. However, you do kneel, and fall, on your knees quite a bit, especially at the beginning, and the early stages of boarding are both more painful and generally harder work (muscles and cardio vascular) than skiing. It's also possible to fall when your back foot is out of the binding, and that can wrench the front knee quite badly (been there, done that, getting off a chair lift) As an OAP who has done a bit of boarding (as in genuinely a little bit, not like those people who say of an Olympic champion "he can ski a bit) I would NOT discourage you from giving it a go though - an introductory lesson at a snowdome, maybe?

(edited because I said the opposite of what I intended, sorry). Embarassed

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 28-01-11 11:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, I see boarders with the back foot unclipped walking to get on lifts and the fron foot is twisted to 90 degrees... that would be enough to set my knees howling!"
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman, you're right - if I have any distance to go, I unclip both feet and carry the thing. However, your front foot might be at 90 to shoulders, that doesn't mean it has to be at 90 degrees to you pelvis (ie the twist isn't all at the knees). My knees are not great (whose are after a certain age?) but they're not too bad either - so my experience might not be too relevant to someone with bad knees.

The worst thing for bad knees, of course, is even a small degree of overweight. wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy