Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss ski resorts fear strength of franc will mean less skiers

Poster: A snowHead
Switzerland's ski resorts are bracing themselves for the worst season in 10 years. And not because of poor snow, but because of the strength of the Swiss franc. The country's tourism industry is losing visitors to its neighbours, as the franc gains against the euro....See: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-01-27/franc-hurts-swiss-ski-resorts-as-davos-crowds-gather.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personal position on this. I still visit just as often, but I do eat out a bit less while I'm there. It was just as bad in the mid-nineties.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Same. In 2006 it was 2.30 or so to the pound. Now, about 1.43. 20 SFR for a meal was cheap at about £8.70. Now it seems a lot at more like £14. Four of us don't see much change out of £80 for pretty basic dinner (pizza and drinks etc). So we eat in a lot more.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If I didn't have a friend in Montreux and free digs I wouldn't bother with CH.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's a significant part of why there's no MSB there this year.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My experience of Swiss resort was that it was expensive even when the pound was massively strong. Cheapest bars were about £5 a pint. With a worse exchange rate, perhaps they need to be a bit more realistic about their pricing?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm not skiing in Switzerland this year although I have for a week in each of the last 3 (Zermatt twice and Laax). I disagree that it was expensive, even in Zermatt in 2008 I didn't pay more than 8SwFr (£4) for a beer but costs have steadily increased since. I did notice spending a day in Geneva in October how much everything was costing me. As I'm flying to Zurich en route to St Anton next month with an overnight on the way back I'm still going to be hit.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Compared to Italy and Austria, Switz. seems to be more expensive for what you get. Although those countries are priced in Euros, for an American it is expenisve no matter where you go in Europe. Much better exchange rates in the late 90's and very early part of 2000. Still planning on spending time in Switzerland but the cost per nt for just hotel and breakfast is the same as we are paying in Austria, and that comes with half board and a 6 day lift pass.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've dropped going to Switzerland this year - just couldn't justify the difference in price between the Eurozone resorts and the Swiss ones... Sorry guys, loved it but...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
any places do happy hour in Wengen ??
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
coach wrote:

Rocks and the Tanne both do happy hours.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maybe they should drop their prices..............simples rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We get a lot of bookings from Dutch and Belgian visitors. Enquiries are down this season (possibly also not helped by the snow, or lack of) Swiss visitors tend to be "drive-ups" so they don't eat in the evenings or stay in hotels. So eventually, prices will have to fall or businesses will fail.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm paid in CHF but even so it is very expensive to ski in Switzerland, I don't think I've skied there for a decade. I did look at Zermatt but it is too damn expensive.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Markymark29 wrote:
Maybe they should drop their prices..............simples rolling eyes

After having read the full article, I was wondering the same thing. But I guess that opens up the slippery slope of deflation. Puzzled
We would not have gone to Switz. if we could not have found a place for just 5 nights. But still the Swiss better make sure and have some snow for my ski vacation, or I will be looking for a refund!
snow conditions
stay in Cervinia, ski into Zermatt with your packed lunch - Italian food is more reliably good... and good value too...
latest report
I'm told lots of Hélvetiens in the Haute-Savoie at the moment snapping up bargains and skiing on the cheap but this means resorts are busier than normal.
snow conditions
telford_mike wrote:
coach wrote:

Rocks and the Tanne both do happy hours.

And Siena's Bar. 9-10pm, IIRC.
ski holidays
achilles wrote:

And Siena's Bar. 9-10pm, IIRC.

Pedantic spelling comment:
I think it's Sina's Bar (the same Sina Cova who runs the Falken Hotel?) Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I saw a £600 package deal last week flights, transfers and single room in the Sunstar Wengen. Great value for such quality. Only need to buy lift pass, apple fritters & a few beers. If they struggling for punters there may be a few fire sale deals.
latest report
Just returned from a week in Andermatt and Engelberg, Andermatt in particular was dead. Both our guide and the patron of our Hotel said that bookings were worse than they could remember. We had an excellent but painfully expensive trip. 45 chf for a Steak and 26 CHF for a demi of very average house red was ubiquitous in Andermatt.

You have to sympathise with the locals to a certain extent as their prices and those of their suppliers etc have not changed. All the same i wouldn't go back and until there is some kind of reversal the exchange rate...
ski holidays
I had a great skiing week in Engelberg last week but certainly I cut back on the alcohol. Luckily the Yucatan still has a happy hour with 9 CHF for a pitcher of beer.

I avoided the wine at the hotel firstly because as Beakyshark, says the prices were too much and secondly after a few jars at the Yucky, one more beer at the hotel was enough to get me through dinner and leave me in better shape for the next day.

Lunch was not too bad on the mountain although I am often just a goulash soup man at lunch anyway.

Having made that economising during the week, along with about two thirds of the group I could not resist splashing out 350 CHF to go heliskiing on the last day. Puzzled
latest report
Beakyshark, booked an apartment in CH for summer hols, had it in my head that exchange rate was still 2CHF to pound like last time i went, then I saw this thread!! Fortunately i have not paid a deposit. GB owners want paying in CHF - but say i can choose to pay when exchange rate suits. Do I cancel or wait or ask to pay in GBP? I have noticed they have only one other booking for the year! hmmmmm Puzzled
latest report
remember too you've got so many huge corporations with "headquarters" and "manufacturing" there basically laundering money through pretty much single figure corp tax that CH will always tend to be pricier, some regions worse that others depending on the canton / where the tax regions are
snow report
richjp wrote:
I had a great skiing week in Engelberg last week but certainly I cut back on the alcohol. Luckily the Yucatan still has a happy hour with 9 CHF for a pitcher of beer.

I avoided the wine at the hotel firstly because as Beakyshark, says the prices were too much and secondly after a few jars at the Yucky, one more beer at the hotel was enough to get me through dinner and leave me in better shape for the next day.

Lunch was not too bad on the mountain although I am often just a goulash soup man at lunch anyway.

Having made that economising during the week, along with about two thirds of the group I could not resist splashing out 350 CHF to go heliskiing on the last day. Puzzled

Ha, that sounds familiar, having spent a few days whinging about the cost of everything my group were also more than happy to splash out the extra for a heli trip once they found out the cost...i love the way the prospect of powder immediately destroys any good financial intentions. Unfortunately everything was fully booked....how was it?
snow report
GVA latte and a baguette cost me 12euro Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
richjp wrote:

350 CHF!!! For Heli!? What do you get for that CHF350? One ride up some valley, and a; "see you back at the lodge.", fm the heli pilot? Does the chopper actually land, or do they push you out the door for that price? Razz
snow report
I'm off on a Swiss trip in a fortnight but there are a shed load of us going out and I'll be in a landrover with full roof rack stuffed with food and booze Laughing
Will still eat out a couple of times but making butties and sharing cooking makes a massive difference to a group.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Toadman, I was on the same trip as Richard. Paid 75chf more and got 3 drops plus a lift off the hill. A total of about 4200m vertical I think. Proper skiing mix of snow. Not exactly champagne powder top to bottom. A brilliant day but not designed to flatter rich middle aged blokes who can only turn in perfect snow.
snow report
WHat's the price of a beer in the grocery store in CH?
snow report
here in Champery you can get 12 bottles of Heineken for 11 chf. 5 chf for a pint and 3.50 for a half of local lager in the villages cheapest bar! More expensive bars charge 4.50 for a half and 7 for a pint. Glass of Gamay (red wine) or White about 3.50 chf up to 7 chf for better quality!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy