Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots in Easyjet hand luggage?

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone carried their ski boots in hand luggage on Easyjet? I'm planning on travelling to Geneva for a couple of days skiing and had thought of taking hand luggage and my skis in the hold. I'd thought if I packed a few items in my ski bag and my boots in my hand luggage I could manage without another bag. Would Easyjet allow boots in Cabin luggage or additional items in your ski bag? Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't tried it but seem to recall the question is in their FAQs on the website and they say no, not in hand luggage. That being said, I don't think there is any issue taking them through security so if as long as you don't put them in something that is obvioulsy a boot bag and you don't breach the weight / size regs I'm not sure how they would know. Depends if you want to risk being charged to put them in the hold if they find out when you board I suppose.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Help yourself. Basically, not normally a problem if that's your thing. easy jet don't seem to care what's in the ski bag provided you are within your weight limit.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Meister Jäger,
We've travelled dozens of times with Easyjet with our ski boots in hand luggage - from Liverpool, Edinburgh, Newcastle, East Midlands, Stansted, Luton and (last month) from Manchester to Munich.

I also know that Mountainaddict travelled last week with ski boots in his hand luggage on his Easyjet Newcastle/Geneva flight. wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for your replies. I think I'll take the chance of carrying the boots in hand luggage.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've done it dozens of times, and never had a problem. Latest trip was Stansted-Lyon return first week of January 2011
ski holidays
 Damien
Damien
Do it all the time-carry my ski boots in my luggage that is Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I think I'll take the chance
It's not taking a chance IMO! We've never been refused at any airport home or abroad - and I must be talking at least 12 airlines, 10 or 11 UK airports, 12 or 13 in Europe and another 5 or 6 in North and South America. It's never been an issue.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here is an official response from EJ:

Thank you for your query regarding your baggage.

In relation to your query, I can confirm that all ski equipment including boots and poles, must be taken as sports equipment.

This means that you will have to pay a Sports Equipment Charge - £18.50 or currency equivalent online and via credit card or £26 at the airport. Sports equipment is charged per item per flight and gives passengers extra 12 kg of baggage allowance (32 kg in total).

If you require further assistance, do not hesitate to contact us and we will be happy to assist you further.

Yours sincerely,

Susan Fox
Customer Service Representative

We took our boots in unmarked hand luggage !!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have never in many, many flights with various airlines had my hand luggage opened by the airline staff. If there could be an issue it would be with the security guys who do see what you are carrying.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And here is an UNOFFICIAL response from EJ:

Thank you for your query regarding your baggage.

In relation to your query, I can confirm that all ski equipment you tell us about including boots and poles, must be taken as sports equipment. Ideally this should also apply to your helmet, your salopettes, your ski goggles and gloves.

This means that you will have to pay a Sports Equipment Charge - £18.50 or currency equivalent online and via credit card or £26 at the airport. Sports equipment is charged per item per flight and gives passengers extra 12 kg of baggage allowance (32 kg in total).

The charge is in no way related to the fact that we would generally like to charge you as much as possible, and maximise the profits for our shareholders, but to make the flight safer and happier for everyone. So remember to tell us that you are carrying this equipment, otherwise we won't be able to charge you for it.

If you require further assistance, do not hesitate to contact us and we will be happy to charge you some more.

Yours sincerely,

Susan Fox
Customer Service Representative
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What you need to remember is that the scanning of hand luggage is 'generic' i.e. carried out by the airport authority and not the airline. If it goes through the BAA (in UK) security scanner then all is fine.
Apparently Grenoble 'airport' classify ski boots as potential weapons and don't allow them on as cabin baggage - nothing to do with the actual carrier.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Until this year EJ have said nothing about boots as hand-luggage, just stipulated maximum dimensions, and they make a big thing about unlimited weight (provided you can put it in the overhead locker without assistance). As with the posters above, I have taken my boots as hand luggage many times. This year they have added a no boots in hand luggage in their FAQ, but other than that have not changed the main T&Cs, or luggage allowance in any way I can see.

A couple of weeks ago I went EJ from Luton/Geneva, kept quite about the boots in my hand luggage and had no problems anywhere. I did studiously avoid having to answer any awkward questions though, particularly as the gent next to me next to me was having a fairly long conversation (initiated by him) with his check-in agent about how the boot bag was not chargable (provided you'd paid for sports carriage) but needed checking in - despite him clearly having no such bag. It was only later I found out that this was someone I'd spend the next 8 days skiing with!

I really see no justification for the EJ FAQ/Customer support answers other than that suggsted by bum - the bag's within EJ size/weight regs, does not faze airport security, and way less potentially dangerous than a bottle or two of duty free (also allowable on board).

I thought Grenoble had relaxed their policy on hand-luggage this year?

Fortunately all my remaining trips this year are by train (OK, so I have to leave my ice-axe at home Sad ).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GrahamN wrote:
I thought Grenoble had relaxed their policy on hand-luggage this year?

Perhaps they have, haven't checked. Was just making the point that it is up to the airport, not the airline, security wise, what is allowed as carry on baggage .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have never checked my boots, and have managed to get them on EJ flights 8 times without question (twice in the last month) and 2 times after heated debate about their potential to be used as a weapon.

As Allanm says, you are more likely to have issues with airport security. If they decide it isn't going, then you can't argue. If it fits in the EJ cage, and they refuse it on security grounds, ask security if they agree. Generally, they don't
snow report
Thornyhill wrote:
....... and 2 times after heated debate ....... If it fits in the EJ cage, and they refuse it on security grounds, ask security if they agree. Generally, they don't

And hold up the queue behind you.
snow report
Can someone confirm for me please, we are flying Easyjet Glasgow to Geneva, we have booked sports equipment for each of us, but only one set, which in past flights (not Easyjet) has been skis and boots. With Easyjet, would we have to book carriage for boots as well as skis? Or alternatively try taking as hand luggage as suggested? I'm glad I had a look at this thread, as we would have just turned up at aiport with ski bag and boot bag and assumed they would be as one.
ski holidays
If you have paid for ski carriage Easyjet will carry an additional, separate, boot bag in the hold free of charge.
ski holidays
Flew to/from Geneva (returned today) and had one pair of ski boots in our hand luggage - no issue at either Liverpool or Geneva, and we've done this before, also without problem
snow report
achilles wrote:
Thornyhill wrote:
....... and 2 times after heated debate ....... If it fits in the EJ cage, and they refuse it on security grounds, ask security if they agree. Generally, they don't

And hold up the queue behind you.

On a scale of 0 to 100, my boots rank 100 and the queue rank 0. If your boots get lost you are more than likely going to have a miserable time. If someone you don't know has to spend several minutes in a queue, you wouldn't really give a flying ... oh, oops, I can't think of anything nice or clever to say... silly me! anyway
ski holidays
did this earlier this month, carried two pairs of boots in handluggage with 2 laptop bags and a backpack between four of us. should be fine.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
do ryanair allow this??
latest report
they seem to have changed their position

on the website it now allows boots:

If ski boots are being carried without skis they can be accepted either within Your normal standard Hold Baggage allowance or as a sporting equipment item whichever is the more convenient option.
latest report
I have a fairly large ski bag and can just fit my boots one at each end.
There was a time a few years ago when a number of airports wouldn't allow boots in hand luggage, so easyJet wouldn't either. However at that time they didn't say so on their website. It sounds like they have reversed that and now do say that on the website but in practice ignore them.
ski holidays
On EJ website it says:

"If ski boots are being carried without skis they can be accepted either within your normal standard hold baggage allowance or as a sporting equipment item whichever is the more convenient option. Please note that ski boots cannot be carried as hand baggage."
latest report
I always ski with my boots in hand baggage, a small roll on case, just about the max size it can be. The only people who know whats in your bag are you and airport security. How would easyjet know?
ski holidays
Dirty Gibson wrote:
I always ski with my boots in hand baggage, a small roll on case, just about the max size it can be. The only people who know whats in your bag are you and airport security. How would easyjet know?

I remember a few years ago hearing someone at easyJet check-in being asked if he had ski boots in his back pack and he admitted he did. He was told to check the bag into the hold.
latest report
cad99uk wrote:
On EJ website it says:

"If ski boots are being carried without skis they can be accepted either within your normal standard hold baggage allowance or as a sporting equipment item whichever is the more convenient option. Please note that ski boots cannot be carried as hand baggage."

Where exactly on Easyjet's website does it say that?

There's nothing I can see in their current terms and conditions (which includes a section on hand baggage) which says you can't take ski boots.

I thought what you could and couldn't take in hand baggage was dictated by the security rules specified by the airport/Aviation authority (they do the baggage checks) - not the airline (they just impose limits on number of items, size, dimensions and weight).

I've flown several times with Easyjet from Liverpool to Geneva and Innsbruck over the last three years blatantly carrying a boot bag as my hand luggage, along with about 50%of the other passengers, no questions asked.

It would obviously be a problem if you tried to take a separate boot bag in addition to another item of hand luggage though, as you're only allowed one item.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dirty Gibson wrote:
I always ski with my boots in hand baggage

Does it not make getting into the bindings a little trick? Laughing
snow conditions
CathS wrote:
cad99uk wrote:
On EJ website it says:

Where exactly on Easyjet's website does it say that?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=easyjet+ski+boots&aq=f&sugexp=chrome,mod=5&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Second hit on google (after Snowheads, obv)

But no mention of explicitly exlcuding it from hand-baggage. However, the wording that they give you two options, suggests there isn't an alternative

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 22-08-12 21:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
CathS, Near the top of this page, second para after list of sports equipement.

http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4039/kw/ski%20boots/session/L3RpbWUvMTM0NTY2NjExMS9zaWQvVnlVZ1psNGw%3D
ski holidays
cad99uk wrote:
CathS, Near the top of this page, second para after list of sports equipement.

http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4039/kw/ski%20boots/session/L3RpbWUvMTM0NTY2NjExMS9zaWQvVnlVZ1psNGw%3D

Interesting..
two pages on the same website with different content:

http://www.easyjet.com/en/sports_equipment.html
latest report
feef, Just realised that myself.
snow conditions
As pointless as it may be to add to the above; yes you can. I do it all the time. As long as you're bag fits within the dimensions prescribed and it doesnt contain the obvious hazardous materials then you can carry whatever you like in you're hand luggage.

As a side note, try Lufthansa if you have the oppertunity; A much more friendly hold luggage weight allowance as well as free sports equipment carriage (if you phone up and ask) makes it much much much better value than sleazy jet. If I remember correctly easy jet wanted £60 to take my skis and only gave me 20 kilos, which as a skier is useless.

Another tip: Put ALL your sports equipment in your ski bag (Gloves, thermals, pants, the lot) from experience they dont really care, even easy jet.
latest report
feef, cad99uk, the guidance you've linked to is in the context of buying an extra 12 kg hold baggage allowance, which you can only do if the extra baggage contains 'Sports Equipment'. To quote Easyjet:

''Buying weight allowance for sporting goods gives you a 12kg extra weight allowance. You must be travelling with sports equipment (as listed in the booking process), although the exact weight distribution between items doesn’t matter.

......One very important thing to remember: if you’ve told us you’ll be bringing sports equipment, you must do so. In the example where one hold bag and one piece of sports equipment had been purchased, one of the two items must be genuine sporting goods!''

There's nothing on the Easyjet site that specifically prohibits you taking sports items as hand luggage, other than the size and dimensions (most of the items they list obviously wouldn't fit). Under 'Hand Baggage' it just states the size limits and says you can't carry liquids. In the Terms and Conditions they refer to 'Government and/or Airport Authority requirements applicable to Baggage, particularly Hand Baggage'. You have to check this on the airport website, as it differs between different airports and I believe some specifically prohibit ski boots.

Sorry if I seem pedantic about this, but I checked it out carefully as I travel with Easyjet all the time, so have no desire to get caught out. I don't like to see a rumour mill and unnecessary anxiety kicking off either rolling eyes
snow report
CathS, No rumours from me. I just provided a link to info on the EJ website.
snow conditions
cad99uk wrote:
CathS, No rumours from me. I just provided a link to info on the EJ website.

OK - apologies.

But I think the information on that link is mistaken or out of context. It's a copy of a response to someone's question by customer services on their Q&A site. We don't know what the original question was (were they flying from an airport that didn't allow ski boots?).

The definitive answer is in their Terms and Conditions. They can't just make up other stuff which isn't contained in there, and if it was a specific prohibition, it wouldn't be buried in an obscure corner of their website. I expect their Customer Services team have just got it plain wrong.
ski holidays
CathS, Apology accepted wink

Being a snowboarder I just stick my boots in the hold. If they go astray I'll just hire another pair of 'slippers' Laughing
latest report
As has CathS, we fly regularly from Liverpool to Geneva and usually have at least on carry-on bag containing ski boots (a normal holdall or small wheelie case, not a boot bag). We've never had a problem and never been asked. This thread is a good example of the inconsistency which causes ....well, threads like this Very Happy
ski holidays
If ski boots are being carried without skis they can be accepted either within your normal standard hold baggage allowance, within your standard hand baggage allowance or as a sporting equipment item whichever is the more convenient option.

Taken from EasyJet website today
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy