Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hermanator - No1 Again!

Poster: A snowHead
Although it was an anticlimatic end to things in Sestriere with the weather playing a disruptive role at the end of the season, who would deny the Hermanator's right to be the overall World No1?

That has to rate as an incredible achievement, especially with the competition from Eberharter, Miller and Raich. I guess there may be some who'll be asking themselves what exactly they have to do to beat the guy! Awesome!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
He had his share of luck (if Benni Raich had taken the cancelled GS yesterday), but love him or hate him, can anyone think of a single sportsperson who's come back from an injury of such severity (could have had his leg amputated) to reclaim the no. 1 spot less than three years after the accident in August 2001 (and not forgetting that until Feb 2003 he'd only managed to get back on his ski for a couple of weeks in total?) Awesome, as you say.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Herminator aims to break more world records......

http://www.canada.com/sports/skiing/story.html?id=4231BE42-19EF-4A2D-B5A0-89B0E8A78C94
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good article PG. Would you bet against him achieving his goals?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Barry Sheene and Mick Dohan came back from worse, but that in no way lessens Herman's achievement. It's a shame that the politics became a bit obvious at the end . . . but there's always next year to look forward to.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 18-03-04 16:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I reckon he's as close as you'll ever see to Superman on skis. I can't think of anyone who's come back from even a relatively minor injury and reached such heights again. Tennis ball-sized blood clots, numbness, near kidney failure, close to amputation? It beggars belief. You might not like him, but you have to admire him.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah but Barry Sheen didn't need the strength in the legs that Maier does. He was only sitting on a bike, after all. The rest was skill, balance, recklessness, and some strength.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
(same applies to Mick Dohan of course) (and I forgot endurance).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are a couple of sporting hero's that come to my mind.
Alessandro Nannini, ex F1 driver who succesfully raced after having a forearm reattached when it was severed in a helicopter crash. And Alex Zanardi who has also made a comeback racing touring cars after losing both legs in an Indy car crash.
All the people in this thread are definitley in the superhero class.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
None of them are namby-pamby footballers of course!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Absolutely right, whilst the teams actions might be in question I do not think anybody could find fault with The Hermanators determination, courage and perseverance at showing his doctors just what he can do. A massive dose of respect to him and those in similar sitations who have fought tough battles to recover and do what they want to do rather than accepting the words of people who tell them their careers are over
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It must take huge depth of character, or just bloodymindedness (is that a word?) to overcome those sorts of obstacles, but one thing that hasn't been asked as far as I'm aware, is: Why did the "experts" or "physicians" write off his chances of not only skiing, but walking unaided either?

Assuming their expertise and experience to be correct at the time of pronouncement (and who amongst us would deign to question their professional judgement), then is the capability to overcome overwhelming odds within us all?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When he first asked tried to get into the Austrian team as a junior he was told he was weak, had bad knees, and ought to give up competition! He became an instructor, then a few years later he was one of the forerunners for a World Cup GS in Flachau - and posted one of the best times! The Austrian team had no choice but to accept him after that...

'Expertise'? - whether it be from accountants, lawyers, physicians, or any other of the so-called professions.... I've had bad advice from the whole lot of them!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've read somewhere that the first doctor on the scene of Hermans accident wanted to amputate until someone told him who it was! So luck and ignoring your doctors advice would seem to be a quite important factor. (or at the very least getting a second opinion)
I play football and I've badly sprained ankles a couple of times. On one occasion I was taken to hospital and my ankle was put in plaster without any explanation given to me. It didn't feel like a particularly bad injury so I went private, and a doctor looked at the x ray, told me it wasn't broken, took the plaster off, and in three days I'm good to go!
Beats six weeks on crutches...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Strange how fate (or is it the media ?) work. The Hermanator has achieved a level of fame and popularity that he probably wouldn't have if he had not had his accident. I'm sure he is the only current ski racer most non skiers would be able to name.

If his accident hadn't added another angle to the racing circuit I suspect there would have been even less coverage of skiing in the papers and TV.

Perverse as it sounds was his accident a good thing ?
ski holidays
AB Ski, not for him, but I agree it helps the ratings. Bit like the Lance Armstrong story in the cycling world.

Now he is a hero.
latest report
Yep - anyone who can sit on a bycicle saddle for 30 days (or whatever the tour is) let alone peddle up mountain passes deserves a medal Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Not my sport, but I've watched near the summit of the Mont Ventoux a couple of time as they've come past, and after 200km and a 6000ft ascent they're still going about as fast as I can go on the flat. Incredible.
ski holidays
AB Ski, Le Tour. THE hardest sporting event there is.
ski holidays
As the rife drug taking probably testifies.
snow conditions
Mark Hunter, Been going on for a long time too. Cause of Simpson's death in the ascent of the Ventoux all those years ago.
ski holidays
And, particularly tragically, Pantani of course, in a roundabout way.
snow report
I knew a guy who was on the pro (cycling) circuit in France a few years ago. Good too. His coach told him straight out that unless he didn't take certain products he simply wouldn't make it - insufficient strength, more frequent illness, dips in fitness, would result. He was given a straight choice - join the rest - or leave. He left (became a truck driver) Hats off to him, I reckon he made the right choice, even if he wasn't about to make his fortune in the transport business.
snow report
One thing that all these guys who've come back from injury have in common is above average fitness at the time of the injury, a factor which very much aids survival chances and recovery.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy