Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Too much snow in Austria....

Poster: A snowHead
Hurtle wrote:

Another (random) example is Lord Surfing's repeated assertion that La Plagne is 'better' than Les Arcs:

That's like saying being buried alive is 'better' than being burned at the stake.

But we're drifting OT - this thread is all about stories from those in Austria about the VAST amount of super-dooper powder that's fallen over the last few days are making their lives a living hell.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DB, there were also some similarly silly comments made (by both "sides") in one of the threads in Autumn about skiing in November. All a bit daft in the end. Here's to hoping it snows lots across the Alps soon... wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
please blow snow over to Switzerland
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
To be honest the Snow in Austria isn't that Fantastic at the moment* it's just that France and maybe Switzerland are having a bad time. Not all Austria resorts are having a good time either and it's only been this last week that significant snow has started to fall. Pretty sure France and Switzerland will see some soon.

* e.g. In a fantastic year Tauplitz has 500 cm+ snow base (two years ago), at the moment it's a respectable 200 cm.

http://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/schneewerte/?sort=Berg,DESC

It looks like the cuckoo clockers aren't doin' bad for snow either
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=67931&start=80
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Come on, be fair. These low altitude Austrian resorts don't usually get much snow, so give them their moment of glory. It won't last long wink.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
needles, oohhh... needles, nice on.... I'll get my popcorn....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
France v Austria then ? I've done around 50 weeks skiing since 1980 and it's about equal numbers in both the countries. Really ought to try somewhere else... Still I have reasons to love both and will continue to go to both. Here's the rub though, I don't have a bad thing to say about Austria in all that time - BUT I could give a list of, let's say "issues" I've had in France ! If I had only one trip left to do in my life it would be Austria all the way !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scarpa, Swap you for Les Arcs Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It is though sweeter to beat the French in the six nations watching in France than in Austria...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
(gets out stirring spoon.....)

France vs Austria is just a sideshow, Italy's where it's at!!! Toofy Grin

The best food, the most fun, the most beautiful people, the largest area of the Alpine chain...... need I go on?

Wouldn't mind a bit of that Austrian snow though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
France v Austria- why? when you can & should do both.

France at NY for nice skiing, good food, a bit more sunshine, early nights, a bit of lovin', etc, etc

Austria in March cos it is more snowsure then, good apres ski, great craic, etc, etc

A great combo- hence why despite having an invite to stay in a friend's cabin in Whistler for the past 3 years I can't get myself to leave Europe- its been too good to leave even once!!! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

the poster who said the snow was always better in France

they seek him here, they seek him there, they seek that poster everywhere......

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm still waiting for references to the general criticisms of "Austria" to which they're all supposedly replying (some of them supposedly written by me). But where are they?

There are no doubt some, somewhere (just like there are daft posts from people saying anyone who doesn't spend £600 on a ski jacket is a loser, or that Austria is the only place with pistes on pastureland) but the feeling that they're constantly being "got at" is obviously very deep seated despite there being no evidence for it. A bit like a Celtic chip on the shoulder. Being a Celt, and having sometimes cheered for whoever is playing England, I do understand that feeling but I generally try to rise above it. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All this fuss about too much snow in Austria and Scarpa isn´t even interested in skiing the pow....I mean just look what I caught him doing today Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kooky, Shocked Is he going to pull through?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w the man is a lightweight Laughing wink
snow conditions
Off to Austria next week (postalm) hope that snow keeps coming, I think I need to see the doc for some valium to keep me calm for the next week Very Happy
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

kooky, Is he going to pull through?

Looks like he's about to follow through Toofy Grin
snow report
needles wrote:
Come on, be fair. These low altitude Austrian resorts don't usually get much snow, so give them their moment of glory. It won't last long wink.

As someone who will be in Austria in 4 weeks, I sincerely hope and pray you are wrong!
snow report
The Ski Sunday team comment on Austrian snow
latest report
achilles, do I dare say it.......the only people up there were a few dedicated off-piste skiers, AND A FRENCH FAMILY Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing

(dons helmet and full body armour and tries to run away quickly)
ski holidays
achilles, love it...

"if you've got anything booked in Austria in the next week, with this amount of snow, even in the next 2 weeks, you'll be absolutely giggling"

[giggle smiley]
latest report
achilles wrote:
The Ski Sunday team comment on Austrian snow

"If you've got anything booked in Austria in the next week or so, even two weeks with this amount of snow, you'll be absolutely giggling"

snowHead

EDIT: High five red 27 !!!

Great minds and all that.
snow conditions
Toadman, I'm also in Saalbach beginning of March, so def hope I'm wrong. It was all in jest, I usually visit Austria (Ski Amade, Saalbach) and France (St Foy) every year and usually get the best of both worlds snowHead
snow report
giggling, giggling!!!!! I'm near histerical, deep breaths and relax. 8 days to go, need to stay calm Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
OMG can I go now, not in 3 weeks???????????????????? Puzzled
latest report
needles wrote:
Toadman, I'm also in Saalbach beginning of March, so def hope I'm wrong. It was all in jest, I usually visit Austria (Ski Amade, Saalbach) and France (St Foy) every year and usually get the best of both worlds snowHead

Salbach for the first time last year.....loved it, planning to go back next year Very Happy
snow conditions
Not showing any snow at all in Scheffau for the next 6 days Sad going out on 5th Feb

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Scheffau/6day/mid
ski holidays
Elmer wrote:
Not showing any snow at all in Scheffau for the next 6 days Sad going out on 5th Feb

Oh Plllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese cold with the recent snowfall.
A recipe for a good time
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, ahh hbless 'em... 25min down the road from me... but I know of much better places!
latest report
RetroBod wrote:
Elmer wrote:

Oh Plllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese cold with the recent snowfall.
A recipe for a good time

Indeed it is, but with all this talk of "too much snow in Austria" I want more of it falling for me in Sceffau over the next week and a half Toofy Grin

Courchevelle last year with plenty of fresh overnight snow most days spoiled me. Little Angel
latest report
It is not so much as the France Vs Austria or the actual jibs, jibes or comments that are made - it is more of the perception of the snow and piste conditions in Austria. there are perfectly good examples of all the listed moans and groans (but until admin finds a better search engine we'll never find them)... but I think this http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=72997#1709423&sid=4360b16026f71c69519f2e597d1e0ed7 kinda reflects the ignorance to Austrian resorts and conditions.
I am not having a pop at th eposter - it is a perfectly reasonable question... but why is it being made?... why should they worry?... do you see such q's about Les Arcs etc... oh no beacuse it is 'higher' etc etc...
snow conditions
3......2............1...................pamw
ski holidays
flangesax, you'll have to do better than that!
snow report
i dont want anymore snow i want sunshine now..
latest report
Quote:

you'll have to do better than that!

+1 Laughing If you don't think there are questions about what snow in France will be like in March (or any other time) then you've not been paying attention.

So, OK, you have now conceded that the problem isn't actually "anti Austria jibes" but rather "moans and groans" about Austria. But they're too scarce to be able to find any examples. Well moans and groans about "France" (not to mention the endless and very unfunny stuff about "surrender monkeys" and rude waiters) are only too easy to find - they crop up every couple of days.

So - we've now established that there isn't any "anti Austria" sentiment. So next time somebody makes a specific criticism of a specific aspect of a specific Austrian resort, or holiday, please, please, spare us all the paranoid reaction.
ski holidays
pam w,

It's not moans and groans, it's incorrect perception. i.e. The perception that France has a better snow record because Austrian resorts are much lower. This leads to people thinking there might not be enough snow in Austria during March. Paranoid? Austria gets the Hitler and cellar jokes on here too, if anything the pro Austrian crowd don't get their knickers in a twist but roll with it. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

The perception that France has a better snow record because Austrian resorts are much lower.

why do you have this perception that there is this perception?

and who started the silly France/Austria thing in this thread?
snow report
pam w wrote:
why do you have this perception that there is this perception?

Why do you have this perception that I have a perception that there is this perception? Seriously someone did say such a thing about Austria and got jumped on - rightly so whichever way round he/she had said it.

pam w wrote:
and who started the silly France/Austria thing in this thread?

Think I first mentioned France to expose the poster and prove the point that France does not always have significantly better snow than Austria. I've done the same when people have said the snow is always better in a certain part of Austria. Is that silly?

PS My answer to your reply may take some time as I'm off skiing.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 28-01-11 17:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I declare this thread dead. Skullie
snow conditions
There are many threads (a few below - many more to be found) where the poster has the perception that low altitude Austrian resorts = bad snow. Often it can be true, in my experience, but often the snow is superb. The fact that people generally equate altitude to snow, without factoring in other variables, such as latitude and longitude, isn't surprising. What causes the defensiveness, is that this appears to be a persistent view and is understandably a concern often posted by people considering one of the lower Austrian resorts for the first time - others may reinforce the view and relay their experience of a slush-fest. It's the persistent theme over time that I think eventually grates and leads to such defensiveness, even if it is only expressed once by different people...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=66142
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=54954
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5228
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=29158
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy