Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Instructing in Canada

Poster: A snowHead
...after working a couple of seasons as a Chalet Host and Resort Rep, then going travelling, i've been back in blighty just over a year now.

Thing is i'm bored again.

I've been looking into getting into Ski instructing again. The idea of going on one of these 11 week courses in Canada, gaining level 1 and 2 qualifications, and then getting offered a job instructing for the rest of the season appeals.

The thought of staying on and working in resort during the summer also appeals.

Not looking to make loads of money. Just want to change my lifestyle for good, live in the mountains and enjoy my job.

I'm happiest when working with people in the mountains.

Anyone else done something similar, or can recommend a good route in to fulfill my dreams.

Also is there an age limit. Although fit and healthy, i'm not in my 30's anymore

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Btw...it doesn't have to be Canada...but i do like it over there.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NON STOP SKI!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers for that. I've seen their website. Have you had experience with them?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
spud, do you need to do a Gap course to bring your skiing up to the required standard, or are you able to give the exams a shot without doing lots of (expensive) training?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spud thinking of doing the exact same. Have a deposit paid, although I haven't confirmed my resort yet have had people tell me Whistler it has to be Whistler and others say Fernie. So I'm torn between the 2! Just under a year away. I have come to the conclusion that you live onc,e so no point wasting time doing something your unhappy with! Make the most of it! Go for it and ill maybe see you there... wink snowHead

Anyone any experience with NonStop?

P.s sorry for the hijack!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cool...Whistler and Banff caught my eye. Would be good to meet a fellow snowhead.

Regarding the required standard. I'm able to ski the fall line down most steep Blacks and spent a season in La Plagne, having race training everyweek.

Before that i have skiied for twenty odd years, 2 weeks on hols every year and at home on dry slopes and indoors.

I would say my weaknesses are bumps and powder. For some reason i've never been interested in either, which makes me odd i know. I've avoided both, because they've not interested me.

I prefer steep and icy, groomed, grippy, and can spend all day on a slope with a set of gates.

I thought the Gap course would enable me to improve on my weaknesses. Good idea?

Edit... just looked at your website Rob@ and i would say my level according to your list is between early advanced and advanced.

Having injured my knee last year, i'm looking to use this year to build up my strength and fitness again.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spud, unless you're keen to do the Gap course it might be worth seeing if you can ski with a CSIA Examiner and get some feedback on how much, if any, development you need before going for CSIA 1. Nothing wrong with doing a Gap course like that offered by Non Stop, but they're not cheap and at your skiing level you might have the option to go straight in to the exam.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I dont like the Sound of the whole Riding 40 mins in the morning to get skiing hence why I like the sounds of Whistler and Fernie! Had people tell me Whistler for the nightlife and the surroundings and what not! Fernie for the back country but at the end of the day be mostly piste skiing we would be doing anyway so thats swinging me towards Whistler. Only thing I dont like about Whistler is its expensive and heard reports that they dont employ until 3 years of coaching experience!

Really am torn between the 2!

I prefer anything really! Give a go at what ever! Going to ADH on Saturday for some moguls had planned off piste but thats looking unlikely for the time being!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
With that experience there's really no need for you to drop a bomb load of cash on an 11 week course. If you still want to do a gap course (easy logistics/making friends/ski school contacts) take a look at the many four week options out there. Lots cheaper, and you can just book onto the level 2 exam later in the season (most ski schools provide free training for the instructors wanting to progress up the levels).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the reply chaps.

I realise i may have a borderline chance of going straight into an exam, but the idea of spending a season learning and shadowing lessons and learning how to teach rather than just ski does appeal to me. I realise it's not cheap, but i feel the back up offered would be very helpful. I'll give it some more thought. Really appreciate your input. Great website of yours as well Cool

I've skiied Banff, Lake Louise, Sunshine and Jasper before, but never Whistler or Fernie.

The 40 min bus ride whizzes by as the scenery is stunning. Lets your brekkie go down too... Very Happy

Whistler is nearer Vancouver which i wouldn't mind visiting either.

Banff has good nightlife too.

Have fun in ADH Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spud,

If you are no longer young then you seriously need to look into visa issues as you wil not be eligible for Bunac. I think staying on and working for the summer may prove very tricky indeed. In order to get a work permit you need an LMO, This is a document stating they advertised in all teh required places and couldn't get a canadian. You only get LMOs for permanent full time jobs. Once you have your LMO you get a work permit. Work permit is only valid for the job it covers, it is not an open work permit.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spud, the first thing to ask yourself is where you want to work long term - Europe or N America. If it's Europe, and you want to do more than a gap year type season and occasional teaching part time, you will need to get your ISIA stamp, and (ultimately if it's a long term career) ISTD. Therefore you may want to consider following the BASI system. Take a look at the website for gap courses:

http://www.basigap.com/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spud wrote:
I'm able to ski the fall line down most steep Blacks and spent a season in La Plagne, having race training everyweek.

Before that i have skiied for twenty odd years, 2 weeks on hols every year and at home on dry slopes and indoors.

You're easily CSIA 1 standard, and if you're not, you will be after the 4 day course.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys. Looks like i'm going to have to do a whole lot more research.

Yes...age may be an issue. I'm no longer in my 30's Crying or Very sad But fit and healthy Laughing

Ultimately, Instructing is the career i would like to get into. I'd be happy to work anywhere to start. Languages aren't my strong point, hense the leaning towards Canada.

Are some Licenses not recognised worldwide? Someone has mentioned that the Canadian lisence is not as recognised as BASI or others.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did that Nonstop course two years ago in Red Mountain. Mostly we were offpiste in lessons. So skiing in the powder and bumps is not a problem anymore. The great way to improve your skiing. Now, after two seasons as instructor in austria I would dare to say that I am an expert skier Cool
latest report
p.s I was 38 when started.
snow report
How did you find the transition from being an instructee to being an instructor? Is the progression easy and is work easy to come by? Is there plenty of help and guidance into applying for jobs? I presume the Austrians have no problem recognising the Canadian license? Have you found it easy to find work?

Sorry for all the questions...but i don't know anyone in the industry Sad
latest report
spud, language isn't a huge issue in Europe as there are so many Brits on hols there - English speakers are highly in demand.

I think the big issue in Canda will be the visa.
snow report
Quote:

I think the big issue in Canda will be the visa.

Not for doing an 11 week course, since you are not working hence it would be a visitor visa which is good for 6 months.
Working here on the other hand...

Do you actually do any real teaching/shadowing on one of those courses. I believe it is super difficult to get an instructor job at Whistler without at least an L2 _and_ experience.
ski holidays
It's interesting that some of these courses 'Gaurentee' work after the course, where they encourage you to stay on for the rest of the season. No mention of an age limit. Sad
latest report
I did an 11 week course in Banff 2 years ago (with B*** C***). Teaching was based at Lake Louise and was to a high standard, even though we had poor snow that year, there was enough to keep you interested and it still amazes me to this day just how good on skis those guys were/are Smile I was a lower standard than you when I went out so you will easily be good enough for Level 1 at the moment, quite probably to level 2 standard if you can keep a good rhythm going down the fall line whilst keeping your speed in check and so long as you have patience....and lots of it, your teaching will soon be up to standard. Check the accommodation before you go though as we got stitched up a treat. Rooms that were shown were apartments with 2 double beds, when we got there, they expected 6 of us to sleep in there (I kid you not, 4 in the double beds and 1 each on the sofa beds) We eventually got it down to 4 per room, but it still meant I had spent 6500 to sleep on a sofa for 11 weeks! The course was also advertised as all inclusive (breakfast and dinner) but it turned out it was based on having a specific amount of cash to spend per day (which was a pathetic amount) so make sure you check how its going to work when you get there, as once you are there, you are kind of stuck. The 45 min ride in the morning is perfect opportunity to get some more kip, increase recovery time from night before or a bit of last min revision on the teaching techniques.

Would I do it if i had my time again? Definitely, my skiing and fitness improved no end, the scenery was amazing, met some good people etc. Would i go with the same people? No but maybe i was just unlucky
snow conditions
I've just had another look around and i think my age is going to be an issue. Looks like a BASI course in Europe is the only real alternative for old farts like me. Low 40's and it seems i'm ready for the skip Sad You'd think someone with years of experience in people skills and skiing would be an ideal candidate...
latest report
We had a couple of people on the course who were mid to late 30's on a bit of a career break, superb people, hips, eyesight and hearing were starting to go but we made allowances for that! Wink
snow report
spud, E
In our ski school just one girl is working with BASI level one. Everything depends on languagues. If there are lots of british people in the resort -no one can stop employing british native speakers - because clients want them
I am not a native speaker, but more advanced than most of locals in english or russian. It's the issue
snow conditions
so the isue is that most of the students are of the foreign origin. locals do not need instructors:)
snow conditions
spud, take a look at the peak Leaders courses in Verbier then.

Also (I meant to say this a while back after I got an email from them, but forgot) the European Snowsports ski school PL are partnered with in Verbier also offer longer courses for people wanting to do ISIA training and exams... could be interesting for a few other people too, and could be a good route to further progression trhought the levels if you score a job with them.
latest report
anyway going to canada it's worth it. a better way to improve your skiing.
you'll see diference between canadian, even level 1 course, and with anwarter course in Austria then, dramaticly.
ski holidays
spud,

I would think for canada its more about the visa. If you came with your own visa you could get a job, but visas are becoming harder and harder to get . Young ones get BUNAC visas and then can progress and get other visas but you need a visa, which isn't that easy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers for all the replies...it really is appreciated. It's a bit of a minefield out there. I'll keep exploring all the alternatives.
snow conditions
Yes I have to agree, it is more about a proper visa.
In the downmarket resorts, most probablly you'll get the employment without any problems.. they will sponsor a visa for You.
Whistler, for example, has a lot of those Bunac guys applying. So, no way I would say.
ski holidays
so i you are going to become an be "statdliche schi lehrer" or canadian level 4 or basi 4, for sure, you,ll get the sponsorhisp for the work visa everywhere:)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy