Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do people make of this warning! Off piste safety.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Winterhighland, good point well made.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Winterhighland, interesting details. Not having skied in Scotland for many years, I am not able to comment on the Nevis area, but although the details which were posted say 'do not ski at 4 or 5' off piste. I would myself prefer something more open, yet clear. A very hard thing to achieve. It can be level 4 in one place, but only 2 or 3 in another. More accidents happen at level 3, as has been the case this winter. So as your chart shows, hot spots in certain places are the biggest danger, but very hard to identify. Hence why even guides get caught out.

We all know the risks when we ski off piste, if we do not then we should not be doing it. All anyone can hope to do is use good judgement to reduce those risks as much as possible and hope that keeps us safe. As one guide told me recently, snow is a very complicated substance and very hard to predict how it will react in any particular situation. His recommendation to me was, always check the snow where you want to ski, learn the history of a slope and know the current conditions. Then take as safe a line as you can with plenty of safe zones where you can stop if needed. Sound advice I think.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
[quote="snowcrazy As one guide told me recently, snow is a very complicated substance and very hard to predict how it will react in any particular situation. His recommendation to me was, always check the snow where you want to ski, learn the history of a slope and know the current conditions. Then take as safe a line as you can with plenty of safe zones where you can stop if needed. Sound advice I think.[/quote]

Yes, but there is nothing whatsoever that is new about that advice.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
richjp, never said it was new advice, but well worth repeating. At the end of the day it is all about keeping safe.

For those interested. I have posted the remaining pictures of the Avalanche information boards on display in Tignes, which are now permanent and considered by some Insurance companies as 'local authority advice'. Take a look, well worth a read and they can be enlarged to make it easier to read or download. You will find them all on my facebook group page. Link below. Happy and safe riding everyone.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy