Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telemark for the Olympic games

Poster: A snowHead
If you want telemarkrace in the olympic, take a look on Facebook for "Telemark for the Olympic games" and point on "like" and we will show IOC that telemarkskiing is a sport for the olympics Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Of course it is. When there's 5 spectators on World cup race, and no media interest at all, then it sure is sport right for the Olympics Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
primoz,
Quote:

When there's 5 spectators on World cup race, and no media interest at all

Why do U think it is like this? there is media interrest in scandinavia and US/Canada, also in Spain, I can promise U that is alot more spectators than what U think, because U dont know
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well I actually do know Wink There's World cup pretty much every year for last 5 or 6 years here in Slovenia (just few km from where I live). Since we work for biggest Finnish and Swedish/Norwegian photo agencies, I was actually there to shoot those races. There was no spectators at all, except few random ones, that stopped on way down the hill to check why half of hill was closed. I also know how many photos from those races were sold up in Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, Finland), so I know how "big" media interest is for telemark in Scandinavia Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
primoz, Do U now that TV Norway sending live? and If U go to meribel,, U will se more spectators, Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The problem for Telemark race is that not telamarker dosnt now, but if thay start to look they will find it very nice to watch, FIS must change the calender to do it more interresting, for example no race in midweeks? and more race, my suggestion for a calender is;
Nov, Stubai, Aut
Ruka, Finland
Dec Mamouth Mountain, US
Park City US
Jan Furano, Jap
Niseko, Jap
Axamer Lizum, Aut
Feb Engelberg, Sui
Crans Montana Sui
Chamonix, Fr
Meribel, Fr
Mars Masella, Sp
Nevis Range, UK
Alanga, It
Abbetone, It
April Livingo, It
Åre, Swe
Oslo, Norway

I know that is difficult to have it like this,,
But U must have a dream Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I didn't know Norwegian TV is sending it live, but to be honest, I still don't count this as much of argument. I believe you can find TV program around the world for every sport or "sport" which is showing it live. But until there's more publicity and more world spread coverage, changes are minimal. There's so many sports which would like to be included on Olympics, but with very little media (and spectator) interest, this is mission impossible. IOC is not looking to have 100 marginal sport arts in Olympics, but something what they can market. And I have feeling telemark fits into same category as women ski jumping for example. In reality, if you like it or not, this is marginal sport which almost noone is doing (at least competitive), and this also shows on WC start list, where you have max 30 or 40 guys on start list, no spectators and almost no media coverage (one country with live stream doesn't really count in this). I don't have anything against telemark, or women ski jumping, or darts, or whatever sport being included in Olympics, as matter of fact, I would actually like to see more ski related sports being on Olympics, but realistically, I don't see much chances for this to happen. At least not so soon.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
primoz, I agree with U in some, that it will be difficult, but that is the reason some entusiasts want to work for it Very Happy For example bob and rodel are in the olympic, yes, can someone say to me how many spectators there is on Wc race? I think is time to think, that is very expensive to built this track for olympic, and after they are emty most of the time, I dont say that I wants bob and rodel out from the olympic, but just to compare,, And to compare telemark with women skijumping Puzzled How many women are skijumpers, and how many telemarkskier are that in the world?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As FIS Telemark Chairman I would absolutely love to have that many venues on the World Cup...2 BIG problems with that...

1. Someone in each of those venues would need to organise the races...not so many people want to do that!

2. Athletes on the WC are amateurs, in that they do not get fully funded, and so it would be a very expensive season which most could not afford.

We are trying to make the sport more achievable and we are getting somewhere. Olympic status should not have to rely on the publicity of the sport but on the very nature of the sport itself - the current winter sports are stale and in need of a revamp. Telemark is exactly what the public want...21% of the market share of viewers in Germany on the same day that the Wengen Slalom event was being shown with approx 2 million more viewers than the Alpine event is proof that Telemark is in the ascendency...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I gather that one of the key criteria for inclusion in the Olympics is how widely the sport is practised. I'm not an expert, but I suspect that this is where Telemark may fall short. It's just not popular enough in enough countries.

On a different note, I'm personally very bored with all the sports that aren't genuinely competitive so they end up scoring tricks to try and make a sport out of it. E.g. Figure skating, freestyle skiing, synchronised swimming, halfpipe, and the utterly ludicrous slopestyle.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@foxtrotzulu, you're not going to like that Big Air is looking like it'll be included in 2018 then...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Slightly off track, but does anyone know where the term slopestyle originated? I find the word a bit annoying myself, it just sounds too lazy a type of sport to be in the Olympics! Guess it's what the kids want . . .
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
foxtrotzulu wrote:
I gather that one of the key criteria for inclusion in the Olympics is how widely the sport is practised. I'm not an expert, but I suspect that this is where Telemark may fall short. It's just not popular enough in enough countries.

Well at the February Telemark World Championships in Steamboat Springs there were over 70 athletes from 11 countries participating. Does anyone know the minimum number of countries the IOC require for a Winter Sports activity to become Olympic?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@foxtrotzulu, not that I'm a fan but figure skating has been a permanent fixture in the winter Olympics since 1924 and first appeared in 1908 Summer Olympics?! I do agree however that having a large number of subjective sports is slightly annoying. Though would you include Ski Jumping in that? As that's not all on distance jumped.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As @AthersT says, style events have long been part of the Olympic roster, and the inclusion of Slopestyle just echoes its popularity within the wider skiing and snowboarding community. The scoring was actually quite interesting in 2014 when compared to slopestyle events in things like the X-Games, with accuracy of execution being awarded higher than the complexity of execution.
snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways, Quality over quantity rather than Spins = Wins!

@Alastair Pink, To be honest if it was number of spectators, participants and countries that determined Olympic sports or not then I doubt there would be many sports at all.
Many of the sports included in both Summer and Winter iterations of the Olympics are minority sports to say the least!

Though if you go by the original idea behind the modern Olympics of it being mainly amateur competitors then I suppose telemark skiing has a decent shout to get recognised.
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@foxtrotzulu, you're not going to like that Big Air is looking like it'll be included in 2018 then...
No, I rather think I won't approve of that at all.
@Pdsmark,
Quote:

Slightly off track, but does anyone know where the term slopestyle originated? I find the word a bit annoying myself, it just sounds too lazy a type of sport to be in the Olympics! Guess it's what the kids want . . .
I agree, although the term 'Big Air' is even more juevnile and cringeworthy. Why not just call it 'Look Mom, No Hands!', or 'Wicked Tricks' or something equally babyish.

@AthersT,
Quote:

@foxtrotzulu, not that I'm a fan but figure skating has been a permanent fixture in the winter Olympics since 1924 and first appeared in 1908 Summer Olympics?! I do agree however that having a large number of subjective sports is slightly annoying. Though would you include Ski Jumping in that? As that's not all on distance jumped.
Indeed. I did think that maybe figure skating should be kept in as that does at least seem 'serious' but then reckoned its retention would be a little inconsistent and hypocritical. Ski jumping? I'd forgotten about the judging element. I'd limit it to distance jumped (as long as they land on their feet).

Quote:

@Alastair Pink, To be honest if it was number of spectators, participants and countries that determined Olympic sports or not then I doubt there would be many sports at all.
I think that is one of the key criteria. i.e. How widely the sport is practised.

Quote:
A sport or discipline may be included in the Olympic program if the IOC determines that it is widely practiced around the world, that is, the number of countries and continents that regularly compete in a given sport is the indicator of the sport's prevalence.
From Wikipedia
snow conditions
@foxtrotzulu, well, we have Aeriel Skiing (which arguably Big Air could/should take the place of), and Mogul skiing is listed as a 'style' event.
ski holidays
@foxtrotzulu,

Quote:

Quote:

I think that is one of the key criteria. i.e. How widely the sport is practised.

I think you missed the sentence after where I said that many Olympic events are in fact minority sports where few people practise it compared to other events, though as is the way of minority sports, if you got rid of one then you will p*** off at least one country off where they love it! Very Happy

@Alastair Pink If you want Telemark in, would you then have to include Freeride Skiing?
ski holidays
@AthersT, but if they take the FWT as a guideline, then thats another wholly style judged event.
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@foxtrotzulu, well, we have Aeriel Skiing (which arguably Big Air could/should take the place of), and Mogul skiing is listed as a 'style' event.
Indeed. I'd cheerfully get rid of both of them. Moguls are particularly pointless.
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, of course, it's not "Free"ride if you have a set timed course!

Personally, I love watching skiing but is there already enough skiing events in the Olympics now what with Mens and Womens DH, GS, SL, Super-G and Combined (10 events).
Add in the Nordic skiing (12 events) plus Biathlon (11 events), Nordic Combined (3 events) Ski Jumping (4 events), Freestyle Skiing (10 events), Ski Halfpipe (2 events) and Ski Slopestyle (2 events). They have already rejected Ski-Mo (ski mountaineering/touring) and Ski Orienteering.

I think I would watch Telemark events though but, would the IOC not deem it similar to Downhill, just with a different and harder technique?
ski holidays
@AthersT,
Quote:

I think you missed the sentence after where I said that many Olympic events are in fact minority sports where few people practise it compared to other events, though as is the way of minority sports, if you got rid of one then you will p*** off at least one country off where they love it!
No I didn't miss it. What I meant is that the IOC would rather have a sport that is slightly popular in many countries than one that is extremely popular in a few (even if the latter has many more participants/spectators in total).
latest report
Completely off-topic, but rather than have endless boring running races over every conceivable distance why not swap one for something like fell running? No idea how widely it's practised, but it would be a lot more fun than watching the same group of people endlessly running round in circles (ovals). Failing that, how about a decent steeplechase through fields, bogs, deserts or whatever.
snow report
@foxtrotzulu, Cross country running is part of modern pentathlon. It was banned as an event in it's own right in 1924 as the IOC deemed it too dangerous!

Though I agree there does need to be a shake up in Olympic events.
snow conditions
Why oh WHY did they get rid of Ski Ballet? T'was for sure, the true spirit of skiing... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Quote:

I agree, although the term 'Big Air' is even more juevnile and cringeworthy. Why not just call it 'Look Mom, No Hands!', or 'Wicked Tricks' or something equally babyish.

@foxtrotzulu, that made me smile Very Happy

@Richard_Sideways, good point re Big Air and Aerial skiing. If the former comes into the Olympics I wonder if the two can coexist? Both ski jumping but with very different approaches.
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, my thoughts when reading "Ski Ballet" were "no way, HOW?, I'm gonna google this.....OMG! hahaha" I never knew there was such a thing and to think people only stopped competing in it, in the year 2000. Love the outfits tho Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@AthersT, now such things exist only in memory, and in the echos of the ESF instructors traditional erotic display to attract Ze Laydeees.
snow conditions
Absolute Olympic Sport.

Recreational skiers should master this before being
allowed to get on any lifts!
ski holidays
I'd never have pegged you as such a fan of ski ballet Stanton...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy