Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best way to improve ski balance (in my bedroom!)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

First ski holiday in a month- cant wait- am spending as much time as i can on the dry slope to get better.

However- i figure improving my balance/co-ordination cant be a bad thing either- and i can do this in the evening in front of the TV

Anyone have any ideas on how i can improve my balance??
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
billy_boy_2010, squats on Bosu ball (ball turned upside down, so you're standing on the flat platform, but the ball is wobbling about on its dome) including one legged squats. Standing on one leg with your eyes shut is also a good, domestic balance exercise, but that's better for listening to the radio than for watching TV. wink

Welcome to snowHeads. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you have ski boots then wearing them while shifting weight back and fourth and side to side, shift from one foot to other, balance on one, swing leg.... etc.

make or buy a balance board
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wow good advice
I have a fitness ball so will try to stand on that

I also thought standing on a rugby ball may mimic the ski thing a bit?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow good advice
I have a fitness ball so will try to stand on that

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
billy_boy_2010 wrote:

don't fall off and twist or break something with only 4 weeks to go
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try standing on one leg with your eyes closed. It's a very good exercise to help with proprioception. Don't expect to last very long to start with, but you can icrease the duration quickly.

Might be better done in front of the stereo, rather than the TV, though...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
viv, there seems to be an echo in here... wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle
Quote:

there seems to be an echo in here

Yes, sorry about that. Too much time spent typing away, and too little time reading the previous posts. Oh well
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
viv, no worries. Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Go to your local bookshop and buy "Skiing Fitness: Reach Your Potential on the Slopes" by Mark Hines or order it:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skiing-Fitness-Reach-Potential-Slopes/dp/0713678348/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296560031&sr=1-4&tag=amz07b-21

Lots of exercise suggestions though with only 4 weeks to go you are not going to get to 'ski-god' status before you go (unless you are already a non-ski-god) Laughing The book recommends not trying to use balance boards/bosu/etc. until you can balance on the ground first - kind of makes sense and as daehwons says, now is not the time to fall off your balance ball and break something.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle, viv, Proves it's good advice though Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Find an adolescent. Steal an old skateboard deck from them. Buy a two litre bottle of carbonated water (or coke) important that it is carbonated so it is very firm. On a carpeted floor, put the deck on the bottle and balance. Works really well. You think the bottle would explode but it doesn't.
Penster
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To make the standing on one leg a little harder, place a folded towel or sweater on the floor and stand on that.

I've just got myself a wobble board to help with rehab following a broken ankle. Cost me less than £15 and there's quite a few things that you can do with it. Having somebody throw a ball to you (or bounce it off the wall) and catching it whilst balancing was a good one.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
billy_boy_2010 wrote:
Hi Guys,

First ski holiday in a month- cant wait- am spending as much time as i can on the dry slope to get better.

However- i figure improving my balance/co-ordination cant be a bad thing either- and i can do this in the evening in front of the TV

Anyone have any ideas on how i can improve my balance??
balance board or ball or go dancing or rolerblading
ski holidays
Ger a balance cushion... about 12 quid. Stand on it in full ski crouch, watch ski racing on TV and squat and turn from side to side... great balance skills Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy