Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

self catering in Courchevel - tips for cooking for 10!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

if we could eat out all the time then we certainly would be but whilst were not being that stingy we are aware of where we are staying and don't wanna totally blow the budget

Courchevel 1550 is no way near as expensive as its posh neighbour up the road. We went to an Italian place there a couple of years ago (can't remember the name) and the prices were completely normal - nothing eye-watering!
As for self catering, we've done that several times and I would echo what others have said - 1)have a basic ides of what you're going to cook before you go; 2) take some stuff with you esp if you're doing curry or chilli (you can even do chilli with tortillas instead of rice - less need for pans) 3) couldn't agree more about maybe taking a big cooking pot - these places usually have the absolute bare minimum of kit, and the knives are always rubbish! 4) Get a rota so the cooks don't end up shopping too otherwise you end up missing out on the apres every evening!!; 5) the people who suggested taking tea cloths and dishwasher tabs are very wise too!
As for recipes a sausage and bean/lentil casserole is a good one with no need for any other carbos - maybe just some bread.

Otherwise I'm jealous - love the 3V! Have a great time. Have you been to Courchevel before?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
neigehead wrote:
Courchevel 1550 is no way near as expensive as its posh neighbour up the road. We went to an Italian place there a couple of years ago (can't remember the name) and the prices were completely normal - nothing eye-watering!
As for self catering, we've done that several times and I would echo what others have said - 1)have a basic ides of what you're going to cook before you go; 2) take some stuff with you esp if you're doing curry or chilli (you can even do chilli with tortillas instead of rice - less need for pans) 3) couldn't agree more about maybe taking a big cooking pot - these places usually have the absolute bare minimum of kit, and the knives are always rubbish! 4) Get a rota so the cooks don't end up shopping too otherwise you end up missing out on the apres every evening!!; 5) the people who suggested taking tea cloths and dishwasher tabs are very wise too!
As for recipes a sausage and bean/lentil casserole is a good one with no need for any other carbos - maybe just some bread.

Otherwise I'm jealous - love the 3V! Have a great time. Have you been to Courchevel before?

Haven't ever been to 3V before so am really excited! It's also actually my first time skiing as a group, and also going self catering (which some people seemed to find snobby?!?) but reason being that I have only been before with just me and my bf doing cheap half board deals but have nothing against slf catering otherwise we wouldn't be doing it this time!

Think my main reason for panicking about eating out is all I keep hearing is how expensive evrything is and I know it wont be the same everywhere but trying to accomodate budget and preferences of 10 - I can imagine if we all just rocked up to some place and hoped for the best we'd get stitched right up on our food bills! On some other threads people have given advice about 1550 and heard of a couple of reasonable places to eat at which should be nice!

Think I shall be doing a bit of planning and looking at what extra bits to pack as I do agree it should save a lot of time and I want to be on the slopes and in the bar as much as possible. At the same time, I dont want to fly the kitchen sink out to france with me. Sounds like a thick question, am I not going to get pulled up in security for having a whacking great knife in my case?!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

am I not going to get pulled up in security for having a whacking great knife in my case?!

Laughing . Yes - probably!! If you're flying, obviously you'll be a bit restricted in what you can take so maybe the massive pan is out too!
Don't worry too much about the notorious prices in Courchevel - that only really happens in 1850. 1550 and 1650 are much more normal in prices as well as spirit. I understand what you say about having to cater for the wishes of 10 people - been there, done it and it's true that organising a skiing hol is like herding cats! I think you'll find some reasonable eating out options in 1550 tho - you can even catch the bus which runs between all the Courchevel resorts and go up to 1650 for the evening. A word of warning tho - as is the case in most resorts catered chalet staff have one night off in the week and this always seems to be a Wednesday, which means that restaurants are packed on Wednesday nights and you'd never get a table with 10. So plan to eat in on the wednesday night!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've put a kitchen knife in my hold luggage loads of times and never been pulled up on it. (Not in hand luggage, obviously!)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ditto.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I've put a kitchen knife in my hold luggage loads of times and never been pulled up on it.

No problem at all, professional cooks always travel with all their own knives.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle wrote:
I've put a kitchen knife in my hold luggage loads of times and never been pulled up on it. (Not in hand luggage, obviously!)

Haha I think they might have something to say if twas in your backpack on the plane!

Glad it seems that there's not really an issue, I don't know why I didn't think of Chefs but it makes sense. I wont take a big knife but I want something that is sharp and actually cuts! I hate blunt knives they wee wee me off! Could possibly do a big pot but depends on my weight limit as I often pack to the limit and struggle to decide what is important. If I can fit it in and it's not too heavy I will def chuck in my cheapy casserole pot. Got my ski boots to fit in too so hoping when my new luggage arrives from the land of Amazon (due to case being battered on return from last holiday C.O Thompson...) it will be ok (trial run imminent!)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Could possibly do a big pot but depends on my weight limit as I often pack to the limit and struggle to decide what is important

well if you're trying to do big one-pot meals in a teeny apartment, I'd say the pot would be pretty important! And don't take more than a very few clothes, because there'll be nowhere to put them!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy