Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

MK snowdome - disgusted

Poster: A snowHead
Doh!
Oh dear.
You'd think they might have factored the weight of occasional kickers in to start with Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wigan, management, not desgin issue.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They could all go the Tamworth route of dendix kickers...or at least till they had 'em nicked!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And can I just point out to anyone who hasn't been to a freestyle night recently (before we get the comments of how can this be possible) that there has been a trend of out doing each other recently (partly egged on by some boarding mags) and the kickers have been huge (in volumes of snow) when you take on board the size of the landing ramps aswell!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At one time about 3 years ago (?) MK even built a half pipe occupying half the main slope with huge sides going up about 10 feet, so this sort of thing isn't new.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
carettam, Pretty much the attitude of 'Xscape' as a company TBH. And just the conditions and attitudes that I have found at Leeds and MK, sad when somewhere like Tamworth with an even older slope seem to actually care about the quality of the slope, to the point of having 'closed' periods throughout the day planned in for grooming.

Spyderman, interesting info on CFe, will be sad if they have to reduce the overall snow cover due to a single point loading issue
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kevindonkleywood wrote:
to the point of having 'closed' periods throughout the day planned in for grooming.
At the snowdomes (rather than the icedome at Tamworth) grooming the slope during the day causes long term problems with the snow. Once the pistebasher has flattened the snow it needs to be for several hours for the snow to consolidate and bond, otherwise it cuts up very quickly with just a few skiers using it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
kevindonkleywood wrote:
to the point of having 'closed' periods throughout the day planned in for grooming.
At the snowdomes (rather than the icedome at Tamworth) grooming the slope during the day causes long term problems with the snow. Once the pistebasher has flattened the snow it needs to be for several hours for the snow to consolidate and bond, otherwise it cuts up very quickly with just a few skiers using it.

maybe they need to learn to use their piste basher properly then...... you don't see the snow on a real hill needing to consolidate, man made or natural, of if they can drive it,it may suggest that they need to look at their snow formulation

it shouldn't need to be left for hours on end.... in the early days of tamworth (it was not as icy as it can be now) we pisted twice a day and overnightand we never had any problems with needing to let snow consolidate rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CEM, isn't it a different type of snow at Tamworth compared to the other snowdomes?

I'm not sure that comparisons of snow from an indoor snow facility with a mountain environment are that helpful on this point. Snow at a slope like Hemel doesn't get anywhere close to being refreshed with the amount of snowfall like a resort will get (although current conditions in some of the French resorts might be closer to what you get indoors, because there's been no significant snowfall for a few weeks). It might also be that skier density on a small, contained slope like Hemel will also be greater than a resort, so the snow gets more of a pounding as well as being typically older. I'm no snow expert but I would have thought that the snowflakes in conditions like that get extremely rounded and don't bond together half as well as 'mountain snow", resulting in the mounds of sugar-like snow that you often get at the snowdomes during winter months.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The snow gets worked really hard by the basher. it needs the 5 hours rest for the moisture to be removed from the snow by the dehumidifiers. This isn't necessary outdoors but it is indoors.
If you skied the snow in Hemel straight after it had been bashed you'd create huge ruts, walking on it you just sink straight in it's so soft.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spyderman, thanks for the info on the humidity point. Hadn't realised that was important.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MK sometimes grooms from 6-7pm on a weekend. It results in a tidy-up of the loose snow but often by 9pm it's back to square one as the snow hasn't had time to dry and harden after the groom so just gets chopped up again ultra quick.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
out side of complete beginners, why would anyone who can get around a mountain even bother gonig to these places

I agree. How anyone thinks cramming a load of brits on skis in a fridge run by an organisation more interested in retail isn't going to be a total sh!tshow in peak season is beyond me. I've been a couple of times with my slalom skis for novelty value in the middle of the summer when I hadn't skied for ages and the places are empty. 8 seconds a run on 12 degree ubergnar and lifts that stop constantly gets dull very quickly.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I should imagine snowdomes are a totally dull experience indeed. In fact, I skied on the first one in May 1989 with Jimmy Doak and Malcolm Clulow as part of the Snowmec trials in Telford and whilst novel, wasn't anything special. David Goldsmith reported on that trial in the September 1989 issue of Ski Survey. I guess they're a bit bigger now but surely the refuge for the snow-desperate?

Ironically, Dendix does give you the experience of being outdoors, something at least shared with skiing in the mountains.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kevin mcclean, Not being outdoors is the worst part of skiing in a fridge. I used to look forward to the amazing sunsets at Hemel.
snow conditions
Spyderman wrote:
kevin mcclean, Not being outdoors is the worst part of skiing in a fridge. I used to look forward to the amazing sunsets at Hemel.

That was a skip the kids had set on fire in Maylands Industrial Estate.
snow report
Monium, Laughing That or Buncefield
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
Monium, Laughing That or Buncefield

I should really own up to that sometime. Who would have thought oil was so flammable!
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
CEM, isn't it a different type of snow at Tamworth compared to the other snowdomes?

I'm not sure that comparisons of snow from an indoor snow facility with a mountain environment are that helpful on this point. Snow at a slope like Hemel doesn't get anywhere close to being refreshed with the amount of snowfall like a resort will get (although current conditions in some of the French resorts might be closer to what you get indoors, because there's been no significant snowfall for a few weeks). It might also be that skier density on a small, contained slope like Hemel will also be greater than a resort, so the snow gets more of a pounding as well as being typically older. I'm no snow expert but I would have thought that the snowflakes in conditions like that get extremely rounded and don't bond together half as well as 'mountain snow", resulting in the mounds of sugar-like snow that you often get at the snowdomes during winter months.

and i don't think trying to make excuses for not being able to piste the slope is helpful either!!

the snow at tamworth is a different system yes, it is a shaved ice process (i can't say much more due to the confidenciality agreement i signed a long time ago) other than if the insulation on the building was a little better (it was built a long time ago witout the benefit of modern insulation) then it would not be as icy, the dehum units struggle to dry it out which cause ist to get icy due to the freeze thaw cycle that is constantly going on, but there is no issue with skiing it directly after it has been pisted.... all i am saying is that it strikes me as the "modern snow technologies that are being used need either more or less moisture in them to help with the bonding process, or maybe the refrigeration plant needs to be set differently... i don't know exactly what needs to be done but what i do know is there should be a way to make it possible to piste the slope and ski on it immediately Little Angel
ski holidays
CEM, I don't know the technicalities. What I do know is that at MK, Chill and Hemel the same problem exists. After grooming the "snow" needs to be left to harden. Maybe it's something to do with what the "snow"-making process produces, as it really isn't snow. Puzzled
snow conditions
spotted this from TechHead - thought it should be here too.

Quote:
I can add some specific tech info to this debate.
Snowdomes are 'cold stores' with a sloping floor and the addition of 'snow making' machines.
The traditional weak points of 'cold stores' are the joints between the insulation slabs and access to the cooling pipes. Over time each will require maintenance - no matter how good the build, some of the joints will fail.
For a dome that means crawling space in the roof between the insulation/pipes/roof. If this is not designed in, then its a huge job to 'drop' the ceiling.
For a dome with a suspended slab floor then it too needs access above and below the slab. If the slab cracks then that is a big deal as the insulation will be compromised. Loading specific areas with heavy snow features may not have been designed in to the specs.
Each night the dome snow should be removed and replaced. Temperatures and humidity are critical in the process. The power used is enormous and energy prices will be hurting.
If there is a lot of ice, as has been reported, then the process is failing, either human error or mechanical/structural failing. Either way, the structural loadings will be changed and more importantly the insulation joints are at risk because of incorrect moisture levels.

I could go on but i am sure you are dozing off now.

I wonder just how much these places cost to run? and what is their lifespan before a major insulation refit is needed?
ski holidays
linso,
Quote:

I wonder just how much these places cost to run?

I imagine you'll get an idea if you look at their accounts. They're pretty profitable on an operational level.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy