Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Coach 2011 - Chalet St Lukas and Mayrhofen

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This month I went to Mayrhofen with Snowcoach and stayed in Chalet St Lukas. Their website has no internal photographs, and the most expansive reviews I could find were outdated and in German (according to google translate, one said the wall paper was hairy) so I was a little worried it would be a bit of a hole. However this is not the case - Chalet St Lukas is lovely. Our room was cosy, very warm and dry and, although compact, pleanty big enough to sleep in and there was enough storage for all our clothes to be out of the way. The decoration is plain and simple with no hairy wallpaper and a lovely foresty view out of the window. The chalet and resort staff were all great, keeping the chalet beautifully clean, creating tasty home cooked meals and being very helpful all round. The ski guiding is excellent for those who want to get out of the imediate area and experience some of the other fantastic runs near by. I also think its very useful for those who have come out with more or less experienced friends as they split the guiding group into two levels so you're able to ski at a speed that suits you without being on your own on the piste. I used their in house ski service facility and they did a great job. The Chalet is about a five minute walk out of town in normal shoes, or 10-15 minutes in your boots carrying your skis. But there is a local bus which is free with your liftpass and will cut the distance down by about 2/3, and there is also a ski locker facility at the top of the Penken lift which I thought was very reasonable (to leave skis overnight costs €2).

The coach journey wasn't much fun but as it's mostly in the dark I found it easy to drift in and out of sleep. The choice of DVD left a little to be desired on both the outward and return journey but that's hardly surprising and I just closed my eyes and stuck in some ear plugs. I didn't ever have to use the on board toilet and all the service station toilets were clean (although quite a lot of them have a 70c charge...unless you dont mind sneaking under the turnstile). There was a lot more leg room than I was expecting and they do provide blankets and neck rests but next time I will take my own pillow as I found the neckrest quite uncomfortable. I also advise layering up your clothing as there seemed to be some sort of problem with the heating on both journeys which meant it was either freezing cold or roasting hot with no middle ground.

If you're looking for first class travel, a swanky hotel or michelin star cooking then this isn't the holiday for you. But if all you want is to go skiing, have a few apres ski options organised for you, stay in a comfortable clean chalet and eat pleanty of good food then go to St Lukas. I thought it was great value for money and would go back again.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
great report - glad it wnt well., Welcome to Snowheads, Snow Hunter, snowHead

Where do you have to pay to pee in service stations? 70 c is more expensive than the Val D'Isere places. Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, 70¢ for a pee in german autobahn services now (some are still 50¢) but you get a 50¢ voucher to spend in the shop/cafeteria. So only 20¢ for a pee really, if you buy something.
edit: and it was bad enough me keeping a film pot of 50¢ coins in the car, but it's truly annoying to need a pot of 20¢ coins too!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow Hunter, Glad you enjoyed it - I was with snowcoach in the the other chalet (Alex) last week - were you in St Lukas at same time?
Had a great time and yes its good value - great to be able to get nearly 8 full days of skiing with the coach, and ski exploring with the coach saved the faff of getting local buses/trains to other resorts in the Zillertal.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy