Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland for a newbie family - Cairngorm or Lecht and other daft questions!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Im going to scotland in half term (feb) and whilst there aiming to get the family on the slopes for the first time
(and without wishing to offend - please dont say scotland is a nightmare / shoulda gone to the alps etc - we are going to scotland for a host of reasons & with free accom - so aiming to do a day or two whilst there if we can!)

My wife, I and the two kids (just 6 & 7) are ALL novices - albeit I tried snowboarding for about 6 hrs over two days during a trip in Denver a few yrs back...and was able to go down a easy slope, linking turns etc by the end of it.

So - to Scotland Feb 2011:

Any advice on whether to go to Cairngorms or Lecht? Does either stand out for beginners / kids??

Any recommendations on tuition? It seems that private tuition will be more cost effective than us all having seperate lessons in the school?

Originally I wanted to capitalise on my ltd snowboarding experience (and wake, surfing, skating history) and continue with it, whilst rest of family learn to ski..But:
- I dont think i can get a private lesson that will combine me snowboarding and my wife and kids skiing...i guess the instructor needs to be on the same skis/boards as the pupils so rules that one out?
- Ive also been told the scottish slopes are perhaps better for skiing than snowboarding...but not sure if this is just for people who are good at it?!

All info greatly appreciated!
Northy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
both brilliant for beginners, Cairngorm much bigger, and probably easier to get to (where are you staying?). Your main challenge might be that both will be really busy at that time of year - really busy, so you'll need to get your skates on for tuition (the cunningly titled "The Ski & Snowboard School" on Cairngorm is the main one up there and Lecht have their own (run by Eurosport's John Clarke's brother - useless fact!). Can often be bluebird that time of year so a decent chance of a great week - get cracking on bookings though (decision in which might be as simple as availability / where you're staying). Currently cover at cairngorm better than the lecht but still a few weeks to go till half term, would expect top-ups before then

enjoy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Many thanks for the quick response...staying in Grantown on Spey, so both places equally accesible i think.

Any recommendations for tuition - i think i will have to forego the boarding, and learn to ski, so we can all be together.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Which slopes you choose depends on how new you are and how quick the learning-curve is. Slopewise, The Lecht is VERY easy and safe for beginners. It has a great number of slopes at the bottom of the hill that range from almost horizontal to a mild incline - the greenest greens possible! They also have a magic carpet which is so much easier for little newbies. (The restaurant and bar is dead opposite the magic carpet, even better for parents!) The kids can just paddle about with very little help from adults. The Lecht becomes more challenging when you've moved onto the next level. The harder greens are on top of the plateau and they're really good fun but getting off the plateau is the issue. There's a steepish (hard green) incline between the top and the bottom.
The Cairngorm has a number of teaching slopes at the bottom of the hill but they're all harder than the starters at The Lecht. Also, the lower snow can be iffy - slushy and broken in milder weather or icy after a frosty night. The ptarmigan area (at the top) is also used for beginners but really it's just a big play-area and cross-roads. Snowboarders come whooshing down from the park and people exiting the restaurant also start off there. It can be a bit scary trying to start out in that environment when speedsters are rushing past you - more so if you're trying to watch out for your kids as well as your own safety. The easiest T-Bar is the ptarmigan as well - but it takes a bit of getting used to!
I guess alot depends on how many lessons you have and how quickly you all proceed.
Lessons are ever-so slightly cheaper at the Lecht and they're in smaller groups. But the Cairngorm ones are cheaper as a block booking. It's much of a muchness, but I think Cairngorm has the edge. I would recommend that if you've snowboarded before then you should stick to it. If you can link turns, you won't need much more and then the mountain's yours. Why not join a showboarding group (cos, yes private lessons are a cash-drain.)? And your wife and kids could all do a private together, which is more cost effective. Do book early - half-term will be very busy.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 24-01-11 19:24; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Realise I've not given you an answer on which is the best centre. Do both - start at the Lecht with a lesson and then move on to the Cairngorm cos they've got more options/interest/levels and fun! Plus - Cairngorm is good for starter snowboarders because you can go back up via the funicular and miss out on the thigh-crunching T-bars and the break-neck pomas. If, tho I doubt you will, you get tired of the Lecht and Cairngorm, Glenshee is also within an hour's drive.Can PM you info about private Snowboard instructor for Lecht if you need.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
All very good advice above.

I'll declare my interest in this, I work for the Ski and Snowboard School at Cairngorm but will try to be as even handed as I can.

I know Cairngorm better than The Lecht, haven't been there for a few years, but if snow conditions are good in both places The Lecht may well be a good option at half-term if you want to avoid the crowds, Cairngorm is likely to be rammed although the Scottish holidays being slightly different to the English holidays this year it might be better than some years.

In terms of travel I think you'll find that if the ski road to Cairngorm is clear the trip there from Grantown will be quicker than heading to The Lecht but I could be wrong having never timed it from Grantown.

Weather wise The Lecht is more sheltered so if Cairngorm is closed due to wind etc. there's a chance they'll still be open; Cairngorm being higher though might mean snow is more plentiful and in better condition there so I'd play it by ear but bear in mind there's a lot more at Cairngorm once you're off the nursery slopes.

As for lifts the magic carpet at The Lecht is great for kids when they start and there are some chairs too which will suit boarders and anyone who isn't too keen on buttons and t-bars. However, as mentioned above, Cairngorm does have the funicular although queuing will be the order of the day at half-term for sure. The Lecht has very good facilities in their base lodge and, as mentioned above, it's a good place to keep an eye on the kids if they're on the nursery slopes too but the Ptarmigan restaurant at Cairngorm is just by the top beginners area so six of one half a dozen of the other if truth be told.

In terms of area and feeling you're actually on a mountain (although hardly an Alp) you can't beat Cairngorm of the two and there's a good variety of sometimes quite long runs at Cairgorm which you just don't get at The Lecht. The best beginners areas are at the top of the mountain (Ptarmigan Bowl) and although I don't doubt that some people might be concerned by the amount of through traffic (mentioned above) I've never found it a problem when instructing and have never had any client comment about it and suggest it was an issue. The Ski School have a dedicated children's area in the Ptarmigan area and this should be roped off and closed to other traffic and is ideal for kids who are beginners. I would say this but the standard of instruction at Cairngorm is high and there are many excellent instructors working on both the ski and snowboard side. I don't know much about the instruction at The Lecht but I'm sure it would be pretty good too.

All in all I'd say it's very difficult to choose between the two with requirements like yours northy so best of luck in making your choice ... and wherever you go have a great time whilst you're up Toofy Grin

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 24-01-11 23:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If there's been a lot of snow and the roads are difficult, don't go to the Lecht unless you have a 4x4. If you have rear-wheel drive, forget it - you will fall into the gully before Tomintoul and die horribly. The Cairngorm road is very accessible in snowy whether as they have a team of committed snowplowers. But the funicular can sometimes be delayed due to digging. Ahhh. Swings and roundabouts.....!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Lecht has a 'magic carpet' which is great for small kids and easier to ride than a t-bar but Cairngorm is much bigger and once moving about the mountain it gives a wider choice of runs.

Family Private Lesson - my advice is to put the children with other children in a group lesson. If you are keen for a private lesson just do one for the kids with out the parents. Adults want very differnt outcomes and learn in different ways from 6 year olds.

Once you are all moving and sliding about - a family lesson is fine, but for complete beginners espically small children - I think they do better with their peers

Hope you have a great holiday
Cheers

Feshiebridge
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^ good advice there feshiebridge Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Very little in it time and distance wise, the Lecht is marginally closer to Grantown than CairnGorm, but only a handful of miles in it. The Bridge of Brown on the A939 can be a problem in snowy weather though if your car isn't good in the snow, though don't be put off the Lecht by the A939's reputation! For one thing, it's a growing number of people's route of choice for getting between Aberdeen and Inverness, certainly a much more enjoyable drive and more often than not quicker too than the A96!

Anyway think most of the ski related stuff is already covered. snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have been skiing on and off with my kids in Scotland for about 10 years and agree with all the above . Sometimes ( last season ) it is brilliant . Other times - not so , but I would just add a few comments to the above :

- hiring the kit takes way too long. After one 1.5 hour wait I decided never again and bought my kids boots , skis etc. Well worth sorting what you need before you get to the slopes - both Lecht and Cairngorm do at times run out of some sizes ( so does Glenshee ).

- it is way colder than you may think

- Sofia, 's comments re the difficulties of getting to the Lecht in heavy snow are well made. I have seen the A939 blocked by 2WD trying and failing to get up to the Lecht . The gully before Tomintoul referred to I guess must be the Bridge of Brown which as Winterhighland, says can be a problem in snow. If so , do think about stopping and ask a 4X4 to watch you through and help if necessary - I have a 4X4 and people have stopped me in the past and I am only too happy to pull you out ! But remember you have to get back so watch the weather .

- be prepared to do things other than ski due to the variable weather. In Feb half term a few years ago we were skiing in t shirts at Glenshee ! By the end of the week we were walking not skiing !

We will be up for the half term and here's hoping for good snow and clear roads.

John
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks a lot for all the feedback - very useful (although im still non the wiser haha!)

Q. Do you think i can get a single private instructor to teach boarding (to me) and skiing (to wife and kids) at the same time...or is it either / or?

Thanks again
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
northy wrote:
Q. Do you think i can get a single private instructor to teach boarding (to me) and skiing (to wife and kids) at the same time...or is it either / or

That's an interesting and rather novel question and one I've never considered before!

There are definitely instructors who teach both disciplines but as for teaching both at the same time I very much doubt it, one of the key elements in teaching either is demonstrating and obviously that would be impossible for one or the other depending on whether the instructor was on skis or a board.

I guess if you were all of a high enough standard you could ski/board around with an instructior and he/she would be able to offer proper instruction to one group and tips to the other but frankly someone would be getting short changed and I don't think any instructor would want to do that - to be frank I certainly wouldn't!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, borrow, shop TKMaxx or get a chance grab on ebay before you come. The hire process is a real time thief (as well as expensive). And they run out at peak periods. To kit each person out in ebay skis, helmet and boots can be as little as £80 pp. (with boots on ebay, I'd go a little large, rather than bang on. Socks can be put on with big boots but you can't do anything about tight boots) If you buy skis + snowboard on ebay, make sure you take them to a mountain shop to fit bindings to boots, edge and wax (£18 a go) - the hire people at Lecht or Cairngorm won't edge and wax if there's a big queue. Investigating skis/boards on ebay (and googling reviews) does mean that you will have your own gear after the holiday and can use at indoor centres if not back on the slopes.
No, they don't do mixed disciplines. It's all either to snowboard or ski. Still think you should choose a group lesson and your wife and kids take the private (or also do groups - feshiebridge is correct about kids and adults needing different things! The only thought is, it's slightly harder for a daddy snowboarder to help a little skier and the care may fall on your wife more than you but you can get around this.
Yes, the weather can be very cold, goggles all round.
If you can't get to the ski slopes, remember to visit the Landmark Adventure Park (good fun) and the Highland Wildlife Park - they have two polar bears who play in the snow and are very very cute....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
feshiebridge wrote:

Family Private Lesson - my advice is to put the children with other children in a group lesson. If you are keen for a private lesson just do one for the kids with out the parents. Adults want very differnt outcomes and learn in different ways from 6 year olds.

I agree with this, I had a friend who had a private lesson with her son ( both complete beginners) and it wasn't good, she spent the whole time worrying about her little boy so didn't learn anything while her son wouldn't do as the instructor told him as his mum was standing there saying it seemed a bit hard for him.

I also wouldn't mix the skiing and boarding lessons, particularly for beginners, a lot of the fun of learning, for me anyway, was that everyone in the group is in the same boat so you don't feel bad about being so useless. I'd put the kids in kiddie lessons, your wife in a group lesson and you join a snowboard lesson, that's the way I think you will have the most fun anyway.

I wouldn't get boots that are too big as well, have a read on here to see how many people do that then quickly come to regret it. Hire at first then once you have been a few times buy your own second hand kit off ebay, read up about how boots are supposed to fit, too big boots will really hamper you once you are beyond the very, very basics.
snow report
How long are you staying? If it's not too long, perhaps you should ring ahead to the Aviemore ski shops and hire equipment for the entire duration of your stay. That way, you can get everything that fits and keep it with you and also, can avoid the hours of queueing at either The Lecht or Cairngorm. lynseyf, is right, boots are tricky and all makes come in slightly different sizes and widths. Buying them blind is very hit and miss. - A way of saving money at Cairngorm and jumping queues is to buy a four day voucher pass. Once you have them, you don't have to queue at the desk again on subsequent days, the ranger station will give you a lift pass in exchange for one of the vouchers. (Your lesson will come with a lift pass so that day is sorted).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy