Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski volunteering

Poster: A snowHead
One of our unlucky volunteers, clearly hopelessly overworked and exploited this saturday snowHead

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mrs M deep in it

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wow that looks fun where in switzerland are you or is that top secret rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
do you need more volunteers Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
scorpio wrote:
wow that looks fun where in switzerland are you or is that top secret rolling eyes

No, well maybe when it snows like this.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
scorpio, I bet he will for next season - looking forward to that thread wink do a search using nixmap as author and you'll find the back story
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nixmap, awesome snow- hope you took him out to dinner afterwards
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
scorpio wrote:
do you need more volunteers Very Happy

Sure, not this year though, unless the current ones decide to leave (I dont rate your chances).

Ill be making my regular post next season around mid Summer, you are welcome to volunteer.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shimmy Alcott, Well he went to dinner with nixmap, but he had to cook it first wink Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Poor devil. Nixmap exploits his staff so shockingly. Twisted Evil

(I thought is hadn't snowed in the Alps for weeks?)

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 23-01-11 21:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
halfhand, what nixmap, failed to tell us was that his 4 and 6 year old kids were in a lesson from said volunteer at the time - but they're hidden as the snow is so deep Laughing Laughing

nixmap, jus' kidding! wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
James the Last wrote:
Poor devil. Nixmap exploits his staff so shockingly.

(I thought is hadn't snowed in the Alps for weeks?)

Twisted Evil

Not every where, watch the radar not the forecast.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Where do I find a radar? (There seems to be a good chance of some more of that dreadful unskiiable soft stuff on Wednesday.)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
halfhand wrote:
Shimmy Alcott, Well he went to dinner with nixmap, but he had to cook it first wink Laughing

Yeah, tough break for her, eh?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nixmap, aw did you cook it, good on you
snow report
James the Last wrote:
Where do I find a radar? (There seems to be a good chance of some more of that dreadful unskiiable soft stuff on Wednesday.)

Try Kartalkaya, Turkey
snow report
Ski volunteer? Laughing

Perhaps we should label all our photos of people skiing in the same fashion. For example "IT worker" ,"Maths teacher", "dentist", "merchant banker" or "plumber" or "chalet maid"....
snow report
pam w wrote:
Ski volunteer? Laughing

Little Angel A lot of thought went into that phrase. Little Angel

I figured it just about encompassed the whole of the last 3 years threads in a couple of words. snowHead
snow report
For most of us, the term "volunteer" (as opposed to "unpaid", though that is, of course, implied) suggests somebody who is undertaking a task for the benefit of somebody else, or for a good cause. Crisis at Christmas, say, or a driver for "Meals on Wheels" or the nice ladies who produce cups of teas and cakes in hospital snack bars. Are you a "good cause", nixmap?

I don't think many people have suggested that your "volunteers" are exploited. They can just booger off if they want, can't they? What some - including myself - objected to was the suggestion that the skiing was "free". Your picture is of a seasonal worker enjoying a day off in great snow. Very nice - except for the instructors amongst us we are all having a "day off" when we're out skiing and we have "paid" for our skiing by the work we have done. Your "volunteer" has paid for the skiing partly by the work they've done for you, partly with other resources. How much work they are prepared to do in return for their accomodation depends, obviously, on their circumstances - even those of us who are retired have a notional "opportunity cost" for our time.
latest report
Oh Pam! Which hairs, exactly, are you trying to split!

Nixmap is definitely a virtuous cause; without bankers we would have no economy..
snow conditions
nixmap, is this really a current photo from this weekend. Not sure if you are saying this is yesterday/today or some time ago?
ski holidays
this was yesterday
snow report
saturday.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Are you a "good cause", nixmap?

No I am not. Its not about me, just sharing a great time in the snow. Plain and simple.

This is the good cause

Also taken on saturday.
ski holidays
nixmap, what a fantastic video! Very Happy
snow report
Thank you,
More to come when I get around to it.
latest report
nixmap, Wot Larks Very Happy
snow report
Sure was, most of the other tracks were ours too Smile This was about midday though so that piece was pretty shredded.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Me and a volunteer sharing the chores on a really tough day.

Also taken on Saturday, which is just clearly is a never ending grind.

You think the cause is just?
latest report
Quote:

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring boring boring, don't you have any other topics of conversation? rolling eyes
latest report
ish303 wrote:
Quote:

don't you have any other topics of conversation? rolling eyes

Well you all asked for feedback and more detail, now you dont want to see it?
Granted the clips were not that professional. I take it when a few of the TGR crowd come over and stay to take a few shots and clips you dont want to see or hear about that either? Probably take better photos than me anyday.
snow conditions
nixmap, I think what people would really like is feedback from the volunteers, not about what it's like to have a great time skiing in the powder (we know that's great) but what life's like week in, week out, and over the course of a few months how many days work they do.

You do come across as very disingenuous - how come nobody ever hears anything from these ecstatic volunteers?

It's a bit like a thread on what Crystal ski holidays are like, to which only Crystal ski managers contribute. Or a thread on snow conditions in resort X, written by the Tourist Office. They wouldn't hold our attention for long, either.

To answer the question - yes, if TGR people came across for a visit, we'd love to hear from them.
snow conditions
good to see nixmap is still wearing his silly hat
snow conditions
Why is nixmap, given such a hard time?

It seems like such a simple proposition: Work for me and you get to ski.

Semantics aside, everyone knows the score.
ski holidays
jzBun, i agree but he still has a silly hat
snow report
Is that you nixmap in the last vid?

You do have a silly hat.
latest report
The hat says, 'Look at me' which, thinking about it, all his threads say.
snow report
Silly hats are allowed. So are brightly coloured one piece suits, Whats wrong with some of you for goodness sake.
snow report
nixmap, nothing wrong. 'Look at me' is also allowed. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
There are plenty of one-piece suits around - they're practical, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Not everybody feels the need to spend thousands of squids on new gear every year. Thankfully. But round snowheads, people do go on about one-piece suits - it's a kind of "in joke". Just about every French sports shop I know sells them, and for good reason.

but I do think silly hats are silly, especially on anybody over 15.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy