Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No new significant snow in the French Alps for the next two weeks?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

shredding the lowest resort groomers if that's all that's open.

I remember a few years ago a big storm in Val D'Isere (or was it tignes?) where the resulting avalanche risk was so extreme that people weren't even allowed to walk from one end of the village to the other along the road, let alone get on the pistes.

And how many European airports would be running flights in a 200 year storm?

horizon, Laughing Laughing Poor market research, as you say. Did you live on baguettes?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I assume a "200 year storm" means one that happens once every 200 years, rather than one that lasts 200 years? A bit like the red spot on Jupiter lol. I would really be unpopular at work if I am stranded in the Alps for 200 years.

Then again - I guess i could live with that.

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
freeheelskier wrote:
I think Mars will be fantastic Very Happy

Hmmm, I hadn't considered that one.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have to say, spent the morning skiing above our office in Les Houches, and conditions were fabulous. Hard base, but absolutely no-one around. best skiing so far this season. Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
These two photos, taken from the same place, show that there is more snow now (left) than there was in January 2007 (right). But we subsequently had perfectly good snow in March and early April. We weren't here for the school hols, but friends who borrowed our place at half term had no complaints - I think snow arrived just in time. That season, the snow just before new year (actually end December 2006) was appalling - by far the worst we've seen here, and no comparison with now. Fortunately there was a big dump of snow on New Year's Eve. Before that, much of the Les Saisies bowl was brown, with just dirty white streaks for pistes. Now, the whole bowl is white.

Aspect becomes critical. This photo is taken across a south facing slope, at 1550m. The other side of the mountain (including slopes with no cannons) is competely white.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, can you still ski back to your apartment?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, yes, the piste is just beyond the snow cannon and is fine. We could in Jan 2007, too. In fact it's always been possible to ski to the bottom of that piste to the end of the season though sometimes it's been brown and grotty below our level.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We skied down to Hauteluce this morning - all the way to about 1150 I think it is - the bottom red is particularly enjoyable, in snow terms, as it's nice slooshy soft snow, a change from all the hardpack.

However, I really don't like seeing white pistes snaking through dead brown vegetation - it's just not the same, so on the whole we've stuck to the areas which are white all over - though some of them are beginning to be "harvested" to keep the pistes in good nick. I'd hate to spend a week's holiday on nothing but man-made strips.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sanman wrote:
Quote:

the Met Office in the UK.... said that the Alps/Europe is in for a 200 year storm at the end of February

Hahahahahha these are the people who can't even tell you reliably what the weather is like TODAY in ENGLAND !!!!!!!!!!! They are the biggest waste of public money I can think of, without getting political Very Happy

As it happens the 30 day outlook for the month ahead consistently and accurately predicted the arrival off and the continuation of the very cold spell late autumn / early winter.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
And on that note, this from the Met Office

'UK Outlook for Thursday 24 Feb 2011 to Thursday 10 Mar 2011:
It looks likely to stay rather unsettled in western parts of the UK, with further wind and rain at times, and also occasionally towards the east. Again, drier interludes are also likely in between the wind and rain. Meanwhile, much colder air will be sitting over eastern Europe and Scandinavia, with a small risk of this extending over the UK from the east at first, which would turn things much colder with perhaps some wintry showers.'
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I paraphrase:

It will probably be like it normally is. But it might be like it sometimes is. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Different times but same panics. There's plenty of the stuff.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Winterhighland wrote:
sanman wrote:
Quote:

the Met Office in the UK.... said that the Alps/Europe is in for a 200 year storm at the end of February

Hahahahahha these are the people who can't even tell you reliably what the weather is like TODAY in ENGLAND !!!!!!!!!!! They are the biggest waste of public money I can think of, without getting political Very Happy

As it happens the 30 day outlook for the month ahead consistently and accurately predicted the arrival off and the continuation of the very cold spell late autumn / early winter.

and i'm going the 5th March Very Happy Trying not to worry about the prospects of no snow. must not worry must not worry
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Now,, middle of next week, weather-forecast says, Snow in France, yes it looks like the most resorts in france and spain will have snow, but we has to wait to next week Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
freeheelskier, I enjoy your posts. Keep them coming.
latest report
I haven't read the whole of this thread but I have just booked a week in Courchevel 1550 from Sat 26 Feb and I have come on looking for reassurance that it will snow fairly heavily in Courchevel between now and then.

You don't have to back this up with scientific forecasts, ....a strong hunch will keep me happy Smile
latest report
Come Saturday, it'll be 3 weeks without significant (?any) snow. micky, no hunches, but fingers crossed. What IS pretty certain is that the place will be heaving with French kids.
snow conditions
micky, You booked it, you got to suck up the weather when you get there Laughing Laughing

Apartment, flights and transfers booked for ages, if there's no snow (and there will be Twisted Evil ) we'll go do some hill walking Toofy Grin
snow conditions
micky wrote:
I haven't read the whole of this thread but I have just booked a week in Courchevel 1550 from Sat 26 Feb and I have come on looking for reassurance that it will snow fairly heavily in Courchevel between now and then.

You don't have to back this up with scientific forecasts, ....a strong hunch will keep me happy Smile

Me and the OH are going then too also staying at 1550 Smile keeping fingers firmly crossed for an improvement in time for when we go. Where are u flying from?
latest report
pam w, We usually go last week of Feb in previous years and hadn't found the kids a problem, fingers crossed.

FiFi_Trixibell, Flying from Gatwick and staying in Hotel Chanrossa with Ski Power, never been there before but reports suggest it will suit me and my son, what about you ?
ski holidays
1550 is a lovely part of Courchevel.

There could be a lot of snow between now and when you go.
snow report
bar shaker, That's what I like to hear Smile
ski holidays
Micky & FiFi_Trixibell - Me and the OH will be at 1650 the same week (Sun to Sun)

I've been watching the snow reports and discussing with a colleague who is far more informed than I regarding weather patterns, and we have both concluded that the snow will indeed start next week!!
By the time we get there, there will be a fair amount of the lovely white powdery stuff to enjoy.

Completely unscientific statement of course, and possibly based mainly on wishful thinking, but I have faith in the Snow Gods.
I always have the Beer and Food Gods to fall back on if it doesn't happen and quite possibly the Sun God to give me one of those lovely ski tans (ending halfway down the neck and halfway up the arms, with a touch of white for the eye sockets...)

Roll on 27th

Toofy Grin
snow report
Read this and weep.

http://chamonix-meteo.com/bul/metPreMatEn.php
latest report
laundryman, doesn't say more than we already know, no new snow in the near future, warm this week and nobody really knows for next week as yet???

Quote:
Forecast reliability : fairly good until Saturday - poor thereafter.
latest report
kitenski, the possible foehn was the pièce de resistance.
latest report
Quote:
laundryman

Read this and weep.

http://chamonix-meteo.com/bul/metPreMatEn.php

Nope, I refuse. I can feel the arrival of a "Dump Alert" early next week, its on its way, I can feel it....

Razz
snow conditions
Had a word with Easyski today and current thought around Deux Alpes is a little snow next week and then loads over the holiday week.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, ooo, thanks. Just what I wanted to see for the SOPiB11 - Serre C is not that far down the road from her snowHead
snow report
snowball, based on local knowledge, a reliable forecast or hope and half term looming Wink
snow conditions
Quote:

hope and half term looming

yep, that'll be it.

Just before half term our national press (lead by the DM no doubt), will start showing pics of snowless slopes and disappointed kids standing on brown patches. They have even been known to ask local photographers to get pics of "no snow" - one Brit photographer I know was asked to do just that last time there was a bit of an issue. He declined.

It'll snow, of course it will, but this weather seems fairly stuck the way it is. What are the marmottes doing?
snow conditions
What, Bode Swiller, "just four weeks ago this piste was snow covered and the snow went down to the valley floor. Now you have to go up 1,000m above the valley floor to ski. There's global warming.

A week ago the marmottes were hibernating/eating each other.
latest report
Quote:

current thought around Deux Alpes is a little snow next week and then loads over the holiday week.

Marvellous. Hordes of arrogant Parisians besieging the ticket offices and demanding their money back because 'it's unskiable' and 'it's snowing'. I shall have fun telling them to bog off. Laughing
ski holidays
Lizzard, Laughing Laughing . Our Parisians are coming to stay next week, as we were already booked for the UK half-term. I don't think she was too pleased, then she tried to delay payment of both the original deposit and the balance. So arrogant.
latest report
Quote:

then she tried to delay payment of both the original deposit and the balance. So arrogant.
We had the same with our apartment - turns out they weren't from Paris.....they were Newcastle fans.... Toofy Grin
snow report
mountainaddict, I haven't had any problems with Newcastle fans. Razz
ski holidays
Quote:

Hordes of arrogant Parisians

Lizzard, They are not more arrogant than people from Stockholm or London,
ski holidays
freeheelskier, possibly not, but I don't see the natives of Stockholm and London en masse every February, so I wouldn't know.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy