Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No new significant snow in the French Alps for the next two weeks?

Poster: A snowHead
Boredsurfing, I think we have to wait for the new moon in France - cold & clear when we had the full moon wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
New moon is tonight
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would imagine snow conditions will be similar to those at Easter in many French resorts if it warms up this weekend. It's not going to be as good as the usual half term conditions but there will still be lots of sliding available. Just enjoy what's there.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof wrote:
New moon is tonight

oh b*gger that's another theory out of the window.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin, nah - just means it'll be another couple of weeks before it snows NehNeh
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd be happy sat on a mountain dodging mudslides right now, compared the misery of sitting at my desk. Any time in the mountains is to be enjoyed, and there's always next year.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I would imagine snow conditions will be similar to those at Easter in many French resorts if it warms up this weekend.

Yes, that's exactly what I'd expect too - it feels very springlike today. Snow depth is far lower than it's been at any Easter since 2003 (don't know about earlier ones) but on piste, that really makes no difference - you only ski on the top bit. As a newcomer to Spring skiing I was disappointed one year, when the April snow was very, very, deep, to find that it still got very sticky in the afternoons (I love slushy, but sticky is yukky). I'm looking forward to the next week very much, but that doesn't mean to say it won't be pretty grim after that, if the high pressure sticks around, even if it get's colder again.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What affect is this long period without snow and a slight thaw going to have upon the base of off piste conditions for early March?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Christopher, it depends on elevation, aspect of slope, diurnal temperature variations, wind conditions, nature of underlying terrain...

Overall, I suspect decent off-piste conditions will be available, but you'll have to hunt harder for it that in a better year.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Christopher wrote:
What affect is this long period without snow and a slight thaw going to have upon the base of off piste conditions for early March?
If it continues until March it will be bad. If it snows continually for the last two weeks of February it will be awesome. I'm guessing it's going to somewhere between those two extremes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i'm hoping that a quick warm snap might consolidate what base there is
i'm pretty worried about stability given the thin pack and cold temps. a recipe for depth hore
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

If it continues until March it will be bad. If it snows continually for the last two weeks of February it will be awesome. I'm guessing it's going to somewhere between those two extremes.

rob@rar, Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm heading to the St Anton next week, and looking at Alpenpanorama this morning it didn't bode too well what with the rising temps and sunshine....anyone on the ground got any updates for me?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
France will have no snow for the next 9 days Sad and this weekend the zerolimit up to 3100m Sad Sad Sad that pretty hard for the snow that are on the ground,,,
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm worrying about La Grave where I'm going on the 12th. No snow for the last 3 weeks and none forecast. Has anyone been skiing there in the last few days?
It isn't just the lack of powder to ski off piste I'm worried about but the greater danger of skiing steep slopes - the likelihood of very long, perhaps fatal, falls if you make a mistake. This may mean the guide just doesn't take us to many of the couloirs (and after all, that is what the place is about).
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

rob@rar, Laughing

much as i would like constant snow in les arcs for next month before i go i remember going to coucheval probably 4 years ago . it was starting to look pretty grim by third week of feb and then it snowed every day for two weeks was snowing when we got there on saturday and stopped sunday morning and we had blue skies for the whole week with 70cm of snow on piste the first day. i'll start worrying the week before.
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
I'm worrying about La Grave where I'm going on the 12th

Well not worth worrying too much if you've booked. There may be some snow on the 11th. Steep slopes are a mixed bag at the moment. Some have old powder on them, others are glass hard and to be avoided. I assume your guide will not take you in the latter. Conditions down to St Christophe might be nice.
latest report
snowball, spring snow would appear to be your best bet at the moment!! who knows though, it's a fair few days away.....
snow conditions
This is looking over to les 2 alpes and la meije, as you can see there is plenty of snow around at altitude

snow conditions
Folks, I had the 3Sat Alpenrose feed on this morning, a lot of the Tirol/Salzburgerland/Arlbeg Region seemed overcast and grey, but yet again the temps were expected in f**king double figures!!!....some of the resorts were in the pluses as the sun was only rising!!!

Calling Austrian Snowhead correspondants......report in please!!
ski holidays
dazman wrote:
Calling Austrian Snowhead correspondants......report in please!!
Maybe it would be better to request this in the Austrian snow reports thread.
snow report
davidof, what a great photo, thanks. Was that taken from Alpe D'Huez ?
latest report
Quote:

Maybe it would be better to request this in the Austrian snow reports thread

Laughing

the answer to the OP's question is definitely "Yes"!
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
[ There may be some snow on the 11th. Steep slopes are a mixed bag at the moment. Some have old powder on them, others are glass hard and to be avoided. I assume your guide will not take you in the latter. Conditions down to St Christophe might be nice.
Glad to hear there is still some old powder around. I can't see any snow on 11th at present but perhaps 14 / 15th ? I can hope anyway.
ski holidays
Yes cracking photo Davidof - trying to work out the various runs off the Girosse
snow report
Yep the snow conditions are terrible in the French Alps Laughing

This is from friday in la plagne

We had a cracking week skiing paradiski, got to the top of all the mountains and to EVERY Low point in the domain - from villaroger to champagny, la roche and montchavin. OK so a number of runs were shut, and no doubt some more will have to shut next week (under the verdons sud lift, near the resto, was starting to look very patchy) but with the snow making and great work by the pisties, then the on piste is still very enjoyable (just grit you're teeth when you hit the icy patch)
snow report
Agree with Paul James about 3 valleys. Was in Val T and most runs icy from 1pm onwards.

Best skiing first thing in the morning.
ski holidays
Is there hope - the metcheck site is suggesting a flake of snow on 13th Feb in VT . . . . rolling eyes can it be true or just a mirage . . . . . .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another one from the PisteHors private spy drone

looking over to the Grandes Rousses on Sunday 6th

nearly 20C in Chamonix today, is this a record for the 7th Feb?
ski holidays
Inside tip?: A passenger over last weekend, happened to be a top bloke in the Met Office in the UK. He said that the Alps/Europe is in for a 200 year storm at the end of February. Shocked
latest report
just back from Pila and we had some fresh snow this week and great conditions.

had heard of some companies taking clients by coach from chamonix to italy as the snow was so bad on the French side Shocked
ski holidays
Chamexpress wrote:
Inside tip?: A passenger over last weekend, happened to be a top bloke in the Met Office in the UK. He said that the Alps/Europe is in for a 200 year storm at the end of February. Shocked

I wonder if he enjoyed the "BBQ Summer", as predicted by the Met Office, that we didn't get a couple of years ago...Smile
ski holidays
Or indeed the mild winter last year Very Happy
snow report
Oldmacdonald,
Quote:

Agree with Paul James about 3 valleys. Was in Val T and most runs icy from 1pm onwards.

Best skiing first thing in the morning

nonsense. Came back fron Les Menuires on sunday, and there were lots of slopes in good condition, some hard snow and ice really only here and there. The pisteurs were doing a really good job. The icyest slopes were in the Meribel valley.
Had a great week, some nice bunps (big but not too icy) and got better at skiing wind crust off piste.
latest report
The Flying Snowplough, kendub, I hope he's right though. wink
snow conditions
Quote:

Sounds like the Chamonix tourist office to me, but agree hope he right just in time for my ski trip Very Happy
snow report
A 200 year storm would put paid to everybody's skiing for some time, I would think. Certainly all lifts would be closed, many would be damaged, avalanche risk could be very high, a lot of places would be without electricity, many roads and rail links would be damaged.
snow conditions
Well, if I'm again blocked in the resort like I've been in Lech in '99, I promise that this time I won't be grumpy and I'll be shredding the lowest resort groomers if that's all that's open.

(Why was I grumpy with all that snow, you ask? Well, Lech '99 was my first ski trip abroad, coming from Romania and a low Eastern European salary - can anyone say "poor market research?" I had to pay lodging an extra 5 days, miss the conference I was supposed to speak at in Vienna, and stop any skiing to have money left for food... so yeah, I wouldn't mind a re-run with a bigger budget.)
snow conditions
Whatever some says, The skiing in france is not optimal for the moment, for us that can make choice when we want to go, its realy bad, the fact for france is
Alp Nord 78% open Alp south 92% open, Pyrenees 71% open, Massif Central 37% open, Vosges 91% open, Jura 24% open, Open means that is skiable, not if its good or not, Its ok on higher level, and now with french midterm,, alot of skier on higher level, If I had going from another country than france on a skitrip this coming week, I had gone to Austria, there is alot better what I have hear, For my self I will go to Les Sybelles the first week in april with my family, someone that think Im worried,, Im not, my experience says to me that the snow will arrived to france son or later, I think Mars will be fantastic Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

the Met Office in the UK.... said that the Alps/Europe is in for a 200 year storm at the end of February

Hahahahahha these are the people who can't even tell you reliably what the weather is like TODAY in ENGLAND !!!!!!!!!!! They are the biggest waste of public money I can think of, without getting political Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy