Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

N. America is better than Europe for skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
gregh, I don't know of any UK websites. If you want to do the Dammkar then you really need to base yourself somewhere like Garmisch for a few days and have a car. Then hope for the powder, because when the conditions are bad in there it can be pretty miserable skiing! There are plenty of alternatives to explore around that area if the Dammkar is not open for business, e.g the powder slopes on the Zugspitze, which are also little known and very nice indeed!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
laundryman wrote:
Scarpa wrote:
Just as a pedantic point - lake Louise and Sunshive Village are actually in Canada

Did anyone say they weren't? Canada was part of N. America, last time I looked. Just a pedantic point. Very Happy

Just a pedantic point - I spelt Sunshine wrong hehehe
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
my 2 cents worth...
i favour europe over north america.. just the hassle of getting there means those long weekend breaks cant happen
i sincerely hope north america has something better to offer on the apres ski front than whistler..
unless a few big packed bars at the bottom, grunge music, lots of 'dudes', poweraid being most peoples drink of choice and people passing out with shock when you light up a smoke is your thing..oh and that shocking fake irish pub... ugh..
the top of whistler on my first ever ski trip was my first view of mountains, the canadian flag fluttering and endless snow capped mountains, a truly beautiful sight... but this was knocked into a cocked hat when the mini bus i was in rounded the corner to afford me my first view of the valley chamonix is in.. the rockies just seemed so samey (sorry but i cant think of a better real word) in comparison...
sure the north americans run a tidy show and are well organised but it just seems a bit sterile, and to be be honest everyone likes a giggle at the ludicrous Q jump attempts by the odd fat german.. as for the language, well vive la difference!! (if thats how you spell it), and that comes from someone whose french stopped at 'que est le metro?' plus i think we have far more in common with our continental friends on the humour front, from sarcasm to the cheeky wink to the lift attendant as he makes that extra effort to help the blonde prada clad super babe onto the lift ..
.. the mountain side boozing, the 'the mountains are for everyone go where u want attitude', the fun everyone seems to have all just seems a bit better in europe.. too many rules over the pond.. sking in north america is what we would have in europe if we owned the alps, fortunatly we dont and noone tells the french , austrians and italians et al what to do... well they do but they just ignore them.. wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
CANV CANVINGTON, "noone tells the french , austrians and italians et al what to do... well they do but they just ignore them" As GB discovered. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why do we all have to hate the side of the Atlantic we prefer least? Compared with a week in the office, I'd be grinning from ear to ear at the prospect of skiing anywhere. Even Iran.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We also need to clear the cost thing up. You'll never get a bargain to America, but under certain circumstances it can be sharply cheaper.

Last year we saved more than £2K by going transatlantic. At half term, the going rate for half board in a chalet hotel for a family of five in half term at Tignes (our initial choice) was £5K. Instead, we went to Big Sky, and got much better accommodation (larger rooms, posher, ski in/out, hot tubs, outdoor swimming pool) for about £3K including flights, food and car hire. The kids' ski school was much cheaper, as you could buy it by the half day (we wanted to ski as a family for much of the week), lunches were cheaper, lift passes were much cheaper (kids ski free), as was equipment hire (free for kids).

A few weeks earlier, we could have taken a last minute deal to Europe and spend much less again. The conclusion: it's not really meaningful to describe one place as more expensive than another - it all depends on when you book, when you travel, and the size and age of your group.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy