Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

N. America is better than Europe for skiing

Poster: A snowHead
This has probably been done before but that's no reason not to do it again.

When all the factors are taken into account, skiing in America is simply a better experience. The places I've been anyway:

much less crowded
better snow
fewer queues
100% better queuing for lifts
polite lift attendants
lots of cheap motels

the downside are the time/distance to get there, the extra cost compared to Europe and the lack of reasonably priced ski in/ski out accomodation. If N.America was 2 hours flight to the west, instead of a minimum 5 hours, I'd go there every time.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NickW wrote:
the downside are the time/distance to get there, the extra cost compared to Europe and the lack of reasonably priced ski in/ski out accomodation.

So, North America is more expensive, unlikely to offer ski-in/ski-out and impossible to get to for short skiing breaks. Thanks, you've persuaded me where I should ski Wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
I'd go there every time.

I wouldn't, because the mountains are boring (with some exceptions)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
NickW, you've missed out that lift passes are much more expensive in the US.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agree to a certain extent, well mostly, with your plus points, better snow is debatable IMHO.

On the negative side I would add that lift passes are very expensive.

CP
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David@traxvax, Crash!!

In addition I would also add that the ski schools we have used in the US and Canada have, in general, been better than the european ones for SP ( child ).

CP

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 24-06-05 13:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It really depends on what you want.

I have only been to N. America once (L. Louise/ Sunshine Village)

Snow quality was fantastic considering it was 29th Nov! Very few ques, Well organised transport. On the downside, the ski areas were smallish, boring after 10 days, and expensive.

I would go again, but if you go to N. America, you only go for the ski-ing.

I prefer Europe for the apres ski and fun side of things. Ski-ing from village to village, having a beer and moving on.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lift passes more expensive, as are the flights.
Everything else is cheaper (particularly if you book it yourself)
Snow quality/reliability tends to be better than Europe (unless you go to Vermont)
I'm very happy that a lot of Brits don't go to America to ski, cause as a Nation we have a bad enough reputation wherever we go en masse, so it's nice to go somewhere where you can enjoy a holiday far from the madding crowd.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NickW, I do agree with you about friendly lift attendants
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You've got a point about cheap motels, too

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I also have only been to America once and ended up stopping at Squaw Valley (more expensive than Europe I know), but you got more for your money in terms of size, facilities and standard IMO. In addition to this it was a ski in - ski out and the bars / resturants were only 50 yrds away.

The lift tickets were more expensive than europe, but No lift queues, lift staff very helpful, and most of all had some great conversions on the lifts with other people, and they told you where the best areas are etc. The Slopes in Squaw were almost derserted due to the fact that most Skiers are very good and ski off piste.

Most of all the snow was fantastic which I have never experiened on any ski trip to Europe, and the Snow at Tahoe is said to be poor compared some places in N.America,

I would go back to America before Europe if I had the Flexiblity (wife is a teacher) and everybody agreed (having said that I have booked a week in Zermatt for Christmas but that was due to prices and only been able to go for a week).

In all I thought that Squaw was the best place I have ever been sking

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 24-06-05 13:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

had some great conversions on the lifts
Who did you share a lift with; Billy Graham and Johnny Wilkinson Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman,

Not sure on Bill Graham (sorry), but it would n't have been that great with Jonny as my wife would have been letching all over him, unfortunatly I had to buy her the Jonny calender for Christmas!!! rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
acanno,
Quote:

the Snow at Tahoe is said to be poor compared some places in N.America,

Only if you want to ski on ice! Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Quote:

Who did you share a lift with; Johnny Wilkinson Very Happy

Never thought I'd see you mispel 'is name. Very Happy

BTW - how come noone has mentioned Americans as a -ve of skiing the US of A? Or language as a +ve. Heard this week of details of a large poll which demonstrated that most people in Europe and the Arab World dislike them. Why don't I get commissions to undertake polls like that ? Toofy Grin (Awaiting Incoming)
ski holidays
Quote:

Never thought I'd see you mispel 'is name.

Sorry , but in honour of unity for the tour I have used the Welsh Spelling wink
latest report
eEvans, It's Friday, and I'm going skiing in Tahoe tomorrow - so there! snowHead
snow report
eEvans, as I'm sure you know, most Americans are very charming, on or off the slopes, if a bit strange sometimes. However, in Breckenridge this year we saw a fair number of what I suppose were the US version of lager louts, almost exclusively boarders for some reason, in their late teens, being reasonably unpleasant in a way which I haven't seen in other ski resorts (Europe or N.America) or anywhere else in N.America. If they'd behaved like that in UK, in similar circumstances, they'd have got a slap.

Is that unique to Breckenridge (which seemed a perfectly pleasant if anodyne town) or are standards of behaviour among the middle classes in USA going down the toilet? Perhaps one of our US correspondents has a view.
snow report
pollittcl wrote:
eEvans, It's Friday, and I'm going skiing in Tahoe tomorrow - so there! snowHead
And I thought you were a nice person Sad
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Well, I had to write something, couldn't let some remarks go without some response, could I? (I know it was mean of me! Blush )
latest report
eEvans wrote:
BTW - how come noone has mentioned Americans as a -ve of skiing the US of A? Or language as a +ve.

Well, thankfully in many of the resorts, you have skiers (so not that many obese people around) Also, a lot of skiers in the US are semi-intelligent, so that sets them above their countrymen too.

Language is a positive, just remember, many words don't contain the letter U, and many others have a Z instead of an S...
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
many words don't contain the letter U

That is true in most if not all languages, so that's something we all have in common. Small world, what?
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, and occasionally you may find "i" missing , too.
snow conditions
eEvans wrote:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Quote:

Who did you share a lift with; Johnny Wilkinson Very Happy

Never thought I'd see you mispel 'is name. Very Happy

BTW - how come noone has mentioned Americans as a -ve of skiing the US of A? Or language as a +ve. Heard this week of details of a large poll which demonstrated that most people in Europe and the Arab World dislike them. Why don't I get commissions to undertake polls like that ? Toofy Grin (Awaiting Incoming)

Sorry Embarassed I cann't forgive myself for this, poor Jonny or will that Sir Jonny or Evil Jonny after tomorrow morning??
ski holidays
pollittcl wrote:

Unfair - below the belt. Enjoy ( begrudgingly).

Very Happy
ski holidays
acanno wrote:
Sorry Embarassed I cann't forgive myself for this, poor Jonny or will that Sir Jonny or Evil Jonny after tomorrow morning??

You're forgiven ( by me anyway). It won't be his fault IMHO anyway. He didn't make the selection and a bit naff to 'disqualify' yourself.

Now can I get back to general insults of septics ?
snow report
I'm for Europe on the whole. Mix of large and small resorts, 'genuine' Alpine villages, great mountain restaurants, more varied après ski and, of course, it's nearer.

The American pluses are colossal quantities of snow and accommodation that you can swing a cat in.

I'm neutral on languages. I quite like putting my 'intermediate plateau' French to the test now and then.

So for me it's Europe by default, but grab any chance to ski if I'm in America for other reasons.
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:

Horrified, it dawned on Marion that the Crystal rep had added a three quid credit card surcharge, charged her card in pounds on a dodgy exchange rate and forgotten her loyalty discount when he came to deliver the lift passes to her motel room.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman wrote:
I'm for Europe for 'genuine' Alpine villages,

Like the ones built by Intrawest that everyone from the UK is investing in. Very Happy
snow report
davidof, don't blame Intrawest for everything.

Two words:
La Daille
latest report
davidof. Well I must say, you learn something every day. I thought Norman Bates just went in to give her some complimentary shower gel.
snow conditions
Excellent, I was getting bored with the Lions bickering, though it still managed to creep in via the side door (conversions > can't of been JW on current form then ?)

There is the little stuff but the two prime reasons I prefer N. America are fewer people and better snow.

I hate skiing on really busy pistes, with people who think they're Hermann Maier after two weeks of skiing screaming down, one unexpected bump from taking me out. The French and British seem to be the worst for this. Just by sheer density of people, N. American resorts I've been too are better i.e. less crowded and the general standard of skiing/boarding is better. Resorts I've been to = Heavenly, Squaw etc., Whistler, Kicking Horse, Sunshine, LL, Norquay, Nakiska, Panorama, Big Mountain, Bridger Bowl, Big Sky, Jackson Hole.

The snow definitely seems better to me in N. America and the weather is more consistent. The weather and consequently the snow in Europe is far more variable. I've been in La Plagne when it was 22 C and Sauze d'Oulx when it's been absolutely bullet proof, after weeks without any new snow. Moguls in N.America are bigger but much more regular. They're actually fun to ski rather than the shitty ones you often get in Europe, randomly shaped pieces of ice that have had their backsides cut off. Not enough new snow and/or too many skiers.

You can argue all the other stuff but when it comes to actually skiing, that's why I prefer N.America.

Little stuff: like WTFH I like the fact Brits are a small proportion and you aren't tarred with the d*ck-head Brits brush. In fact your accent often gets picked up and is the start of a chat on the lifts. Accomodation is way better and cheaper on a like for like. Driving is much less hassle. Lift tickets are more expensive but I don't have to spend 20 minutes queueing at each lift. Ski schools are much more customer orientated.

In Europe's favour: Apres ski is better in Europe for sure, Whistler aside, no argument there. Bigger ski areas in Europe but with a lower overall standard of lift.

I enjoy my skiing more in N.America . . . but if you take other factors into account it's a much more even balance.
snow report
NickW wrote:
{snip} I hate skiing on really busy pistes, with people who think they're Hermann Maier after two weeks of skiing screaming down {snip}

The snow definitely seems better to me in N. America and the weather is more consistent. The weather and consequently the snow in Europe is far more variable.{snip}

You can argue all the other stuff but when it comes to actually skiing, that's why I prefer N.America.

{snip} Driving is much less hassle.{snip}

Nick gives several reasons for skiiing in the European resorts.

I hate skiing on busy pistes - but who needs them when the European off piste is so good.

If the snow is the same each and every day and the weather is always the same then it gets boring. Changing snow and weather conditions add to the excitement of skiing. I have heard European ski teachers grumble that American clients can only ski one sort of snow, they are useless off piste in anything other than soft fluffy powder.

Driving to America takes an awfuly big chunk out of your holiday. And, once you get there don't they have very slow speed limits on their motorways? There are only a few European resorts where you need a car to get around, so there is much less hassle than having to drive.

You can argue all the other stuff but when it comes to actually skiing, that's why I prefer the European resorts I have been to.
snow report
Yes European resorts can be crowded but with many of them this only occurs during school holidays, if you are fortunate enough to be able to pick and choose wen you go skiing you can find many resorts with fantastic conditions and no queues in Europe.
snow conditions
Adrian, I haven't participated in this debate as the pros and cons are well rehearsed and I can't think of anything amusing to say, but your posting raises a question.

Why do you imagine that there is only one sort of snow in N.America? I'm not an expert on snow conditions, and my skiing is almost all on piste, but it seems to me that snow there differs from place to place and time to time just as it does in Europe. There may at some times of the year be more reliable good skiing conditions in N.America, but that doesn't mean that they're uniform.

I've just rediscovered Europe after many years of skiing mainly in N.America, and the notion that one is better than the other is absurd, unless you have very specific requirements.
latest report
richmond, I agree with you. My post was intended as provcocative and humerous. But the original poster also took an extreme view, namely that America was entirely wonderful it always had perfect snow and that Europe was to be avoided.
snow report
laundryman wrote:

The American pluses are colossal quantities of snow and accommodation that you can swing a cat in.

You forgot to mention the colossal quantities of food Shocked On second thoughts, being somewhat overweight perhaps that should be a minus wink
snow conditions
Please, please, definitely, the US is better than anywhere for everything. It's true. And just look at the prices London-Geneva this winter because of all you silly folks trying to "re-discover" Europe. It's just not worth it: surly locals, unruly lift lines, iffy ski schools, bizarrely variable snow conditions, et al. Why even bother when you already know the answer.

Everyone who can, do, book now for the US and let us poor mortals who can't afford to go there benefit from cheap weekend commuting to the Alps where we can garner what small pleasures we can. I might be jealous of your North American Dream, but that's just my weak character playing up.
ski holidays
David Murdoch, Laughing Laughing
snow report
for skiing? no
for going on a holiday that involves skiing? maybe
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy