Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone flown from London City Airport?

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking about booking a flight from London City Airport. Anyone used this airport? Is it easy to get to by train?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's quite easy to get to - you can get buses from Canary Wharf, Liverpool St and Canning Town.
The whole "airport experience" there is a wonderful thing compared with cattle markets like the other London airports. 20 min check-ins, no queues and spectacular flight paths over Canary Wharf.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Friends of mine flew from there a couple of years ago and said the terminal was great, what they found alarming was flying back in strong cross winds looking out of the window and only seeing the thames ! Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I do remember quite a lot of walking to get from the train / tube or bus to the terminal, but that was a few years ago, so things may have improved since then. I flew with what was then Crossair (formerly part of Swissair) to Zurich or Geneva. The airport was generally full of business men - I looked rather out of place with my skis!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The bus stop is right outside the front door of the terminal now.
They are putting in an extension to the DLR which will serve the airport a bit better, but I don't know when that is due to open
From my office near Bank, I can leave just over an hour before the flight is due to take off and get there in plenty of time so it gets a big thumbs up from me
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have flown from there a few times. I've always travelled by cab from central London. It's nowhere near as convenient as it should be, since it involves a train (DLR or tube) and a shuttle bus, but it is a pleasant airport to fly from and to.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 24-06-05 13:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's very cheap with Swiss to London City right now, I was looking at tickets for a couple of weeks from now and it'll be less than half the price for Heathrow. They weren't for me but I think I'll use city next time I'm going to London.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have flown into it, but only on Microsoft flight Simulator. It definately has a spectacular, if not a hairy flight path!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Easy to drive to and you can park near the terminal.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Very handy for the Excel exhibition centre
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's not for the nervous flyer - returing to City you fly over Canary Wharf and hit the ground only a mile or two later so it's a pretty steep descent. I might have imagined it but I swear we came into land with the nose pointing at the ground and only pulled up at the last second.

Oh, and the DLR was up the spout the time I went there and there were no buses from Canary Wharf so I had to cab it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
had a look at the TFL website - apparently the DLR extension serving the airport will be in action by the end of the year
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ben wright, HS146's (also now known as the Avro RJ85) are the only jet allowed to use City. They have Short Take Off and Landing capability and can descend very quickly due to the capabilty to keep flying at low speeds. They do seem to fly level until the last minute.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think the thing we were on had propellers - the one I flew out of there on definitely did but I can't remember what the one I came back on was. A Saab, perhaps?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Very convenient if you live in london and you have a car, as you can park next to the terminal and walk - if you take a flight after work, you can leave you kit in the car (instead of having to take it on the train/tube etc). Of course you need somewhere to park while you are at work. I dont remember parking being too extortionate, as most people who use the airport come/go by taxi. Especially if you are splitting the cost between 2 or 3. In my experience flights are always cheaper than Heathrow. Finally, the bags come through quickly as there aren't many flights - not something that usually happens at Heathrow, Gatwick or Stransted.
snow conditions
ben wright, maybe a de Haviland Dash 7? I think that's what I flew on out of Docklands a few years back. I was actually panicking in a taxi stuck in a jam from Finsbury Sq - it was further than I thought! Once there, the airport is great.
latest report
ben wright, might well have been a Saab, Crossair used to use them out of London City I think on their Berne route
snow conditions
ben wright, the angle of the London City approach is 5.5 degrees, compared with the normal 3 degree approach. It used to be even steeper - it was 7.5 degress until they lengthened the runway to accomodate the BAe146.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy