Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Doing a base repair, looks rubbish. Any ideas?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Howdy,
After last winter in Andorra, my base is now in urgent need of a repair Laughing

Got a Ptex candle, used base cleaner to strip the old wax off and the base came up really
nice and smooth with the cuts and gouges all exposed.

Lit the candle and let the wax drip onto the board, but as it burns, the candle was quite smoky
and bits of black burned bits dripped onto the cracks aswel. When it had all dried I started scraping
and the finish was good, with the cracks filled in nicely.

Trouble is, the new wax is really muddy looking with the charred bits embedded into the base.
WTF? Have I done it wrong, or is this what it'll look like with a diy job?
Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This might be duff advice because i've never done a ptex repair but i think they all look like that.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
you need to roll it on a metal scraper as it melts to get the carbon out. wax won't bond to the black bits in the repair.

That's what's supposed to happen. In reality just fill the hole up. Doesn't matter if it looks rubbish.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
when you burn clear you need to wait till it burns with a blue flame and then keep close to the base, keep something to drip onto next to the repair and move from it to the repair keeping close (i like to be almost touching without putting flame out). if you notice the flame turn yellow and it going black then get back to the drip tray.

but all this is cosmetic..... unless you are a racer or poser Toofy Grin

Don't worry about it
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks very much
Knew I should've practiced on the boys' little board first Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Use black PTEX candles !
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Take it to someone who knows what they are doing rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I did a base grind on an old rock hopper using an orbital sander, nothing scientific, just sanded it back a bit then chucked some wax on, the board rode fine. It's easy to get too anal about that stuff.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy