Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1st time Skiier - looking to book a holiday...HELP PLEASE!!

Poster: A snowHead
Hey Guys,

I have been told good things about Snowheads, so am hoping for any help or guidance?!

Have just hit the dizzy heights of 26 years of age and am now tired of your standard pool holiday so am really looking forward to the prospect of a more action packed holiday on the slopes, only problem is there seems to be so many more things to consider when booked this type of get away.

As a complete begineer im not sure where to start, am heading out with a friend who has skiied a hand full of times, but only ever gone along for the ride so also doesnt know where to start when booking.

Ive already done a small amount of research and but am still a little clueless..in terms of budget we are looking in between £500-700 all in, (excluding spending money) As its just me and him, as the night draws in we dont want to be stuck in so good Apres ski (only just learnt that terminology) is essential!! We are looking travel from March 12th onwards, but can be slightly more flex on dates after the 12th, also able to book last minute if that helps? Does anyone have some good suggestions on where is best to book? Also any other good sources of information would be great, ie someone told me about AlpineAnswers......

I've already looked into Ischgl but seems like its going to be too expensive, have also look into DIY which seems like a viable money saving option............

Have bought all the gear, when renting skis and boots ive seen placers advertise different levels, does it really matter what ones to rent??

Anyhelp would be fanastic cause we are going round in circles at the moment?

THANK YOU!!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
janus909, does your £500 - £700 include lift pass asn ski school? in other words do you want all this for your budget:

flight
transfers
accommodation
food
Ski and boot hire
Lift Pass
Lessons
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey Holidaylover,

Ok sorry, to clarify

We are looking to incooperate:

Flights,
Transport/Transfers
Accommodation (ideally b&b)
Lift Pass
Ski Boot Hire

Food, lessons, insurance and anything else would be outside of the budget....

The £500-700 budget might be unrealistic, im not sure??
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My budget for a DIY trip is usually in the order of:

Flight £100
Transfer £100
Accomodation (self catering) £150
Lift pass £200
Ski and boot hire £100

= £650

These are all on the high side. Flights are often more like £80, accommodation frequently comes in at more like £130, Hire a care and ram it full of punters and you'll see change out of £75, etc.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome to snowHead janus909, this was covered in another thread recently here - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1686024&highlight=#1686024 you might find something useful.

For a first holiday it might be worth going on a package deal, as finding things in resort and getting to lessons etc.... on time can be a bit daunting. Especially if you've arrived in resort late in the evening and are expected to be in lessons for 9.15am - and don't know where anything is. Although your friend might know the ropes in orientating himself within a ski resort.

UCPA might be a good shout as it's generally an all in deal. http://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/ http://www.outgoing.co.uk/ http://www.topdeck.travel/

With some tour operators you could get a beginners ski pack which can be good value, they generally include lift pass, lessons and kit hire. We went to Andorra last April and the cost of a lift pass was the same as lift pass & lessons, and this wasn't a beginners pack.
I think depending on where you want to go you could find a holiday inc. lessons and food inside the £700 budget, leaving more money to spend when you're away!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
janus909, If its just the two of you you might want to wait and get a last minute deal?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Janus909,

I haver never used them but:

http://www.directski.com/app/page

Hotel Savoy , Brides Les Bains, B+B, 12TH March (Gatwick) including transfer, with local pass and skis with boots £591.00

I know its a bit of a lift up in the morning etc but at least all you have to do is turn up and ski.

LD
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
janus909, Welcome to snowheads.

While deals like that shown by lightningdan above might look good, I think if you are new to skiing you would be better off going to a smaller resort as there is no point paying for an expensive lift pass for a big area like Meribel, Val d'Isere etc when you are only likely to ski a few of the runs.

Even if you don't intend to book through a travel agent it is worth going in and picking up brochures for Inghams and Crystal in particular as these have lots of info and you may see a resort that tickles your fancy. Also, have a look at their web sites and also Mark Warner. DIYing is a good option but for a first time there is a lot to think of.

Good luck
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi, I think you probably need to narrow your search down to a country and then choose a resort that ticks some or all of your boxes..... Austrian resorts are very good at Apres ski......... (Ishgl is not the cheapest Austrian resort, maybe look at Niederau or other?) Will you be booking into ski school, you can do this through the TO, probably the simplest way, you can sometimes book a "learn to ski" package which includes lift pass, ski/boot hire and lessons....check the brochure....... I don't think it matters what level of ski you hire at tis stage, I would go basic carvers and see how you go, you can usually change them if you're not happy, boots I think you have to try a few on before you get an acceptable pair (we have our own), don't think they have different levels...(I could be wrong though).
Andorra could be another good option for you, I think the Andorran ski schools are good and the slopes are good confidence building runs......

Happy searching!! Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I reckon you'll struggle unless booking last minute.

If you look on alpineanswers.co.uk there are prices for departure this weekend, including flights for half board from £300 in party city central Val D'Isere. Ski/Boot hire €80 (through alpinresorts.com voucher code news133). €211 for the pass VDI only.

So you might almost get your lessons in for a total under £700 - and this includes chalet cooking and wine. Realistically you wouldn't have to spend much more than this, but this pares ski malarky (particularly in a place that is party central) might blow your budget a bit.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
janus909, as there are just 2 of you and you're flexible then book late. Hold your nerve and book 1-2 weeks before departure (later if you're really brave). You'll get a great deal.

Book late through a tour operator (Crystal, Neilson, Inghams, Thomson etc. and check igluski.com. or other search sites)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My sister is currently holding out for last minute and there's quite a bit around. Currently for departures 29/1 some for 5 or 6/2. If I was a couple I would hold out - once you spy a few last minute deals put them up here so we can judge the best. You need to hold out till about a fortnight before though - but this way youre in with a chance of a fab holiday at knock down prices. Skiing is not cheap!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
guys.....what a fantastic response, thank you all for getting back to me and providing such great advice.

Hmmerite - thanks for the link to the previous thread, have had a good read through all of that.

I think you are all right, im gonna skip DIY and book through the travel operator.

As you all said, last minute booking sounds like the way forward, we both have pretty flexable bosses so can book the week of work 12th march---> now and not book until "last minute" failing a disaster could prob just delay our work holiday by a week or 2 if nothing comes up!

with that all in mind and alot of questions answer, i mentioned Ischgl, other than that cause i think its going to be out of budget, where would you all recommend we look to book? First holiday is to just learn to ski so as important as it is, Apres Ski is essential! There are so many resorts and places to ski, id imagine when looking at so many different last minute deals i wouldnt know whats good value?

One more thinkg, i was thinking i wouldnt need ski lessons? however it seems to be quite important...? is it essential to book in for lessons or can i just pick it up and teach myself?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had my first skiing holiday last year and we went to Borovets in Bulgaria.
Perfect for a learner skier as you wont need miles and miles of runs.
We stayed at the Iglika Palace where the food was 'acceptable' some bits 'unidentifiable' but that all adds to the fun! We had a few good nights out and it is CHEAP! All in - Flights, transfers and half board accommodation was only £300 plus the other bits and bobs, but you could probably do an entire holiday in Bulgaria for £700!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
janus909 wrote:

One more thinkg, i was thinking i wouldnt need ski lessons? however it seems to be quite important...? is it essential to book in for lessons or can i just pick it up and teach myself?

Everyone else is doing a nice job of helping with the other stuff. My only advice is to book through a Tour Operator - my personal recommendation is to look at Ski Olympic, following a rather good week with them in Courchevel last week. You will need to wait to last minute with your budget, but if you give them a call in the week before you go, they will have something in one of their chalets and you'll get it inside budget.

To answer your point above, this is simply not realistic. You can't just hire the gear and go skiing. You will hurt yourself, and you may well seriously hurt someone else. You sound like a sensible person, spend the money and get a few lessons. If nothing else, if you don't you're going to find yourself spending a lot more in the future to fix all the weird and wonderful ways you've taught yourself to ski.
snow report
Book ski school for you and your friend. You'll be in different groups but can meet up at lunch and mess about together in the afternoon. you'll also meet other people in the same situation as you.

Austria is best for boozing/fun in the evening and also better value for beginners.

Late booking should get you half board/chalet board, lift pass, ski hire, lesson etc. well within your budget.
snow conditions
Mayrhofen is a good shout pal.

I found that to have the best apres ski (of the resorts I have been to) and the skiing isn't half bad as well!! Not sure about the prices, but it isn't a resort which usually comes under an expensive category.

Oh, and get lessons....
latest report
janus909 wrote:

with that all in mind and alot of questions answer, i mentioned Ischgl, other than that cause i think its going to be out of budget, where would you all recommend we look to book? First holiday is to just learn to ski so as important as it is, Apres Ski is essential! There are so many resorts and places to ski, id imagine when looking at so many different last minute deals i wouldnt know whats good value?

For a combination of good prices and good apres, Austria does tend to have more options than most places.

You don't need somewhere with a big area for your first trip, so you don't need to pick somewhere you recognise the name of - the best known places are also often the most expensive, just because they are so popular. But at the same time, don't rule it out just because it is popular, sometimes late deals can still make them very good value.

Quote:

Definitely take lessons.

Although there are stories on here about people who have managed to learn without, they have at least bee with other experienced people.

For two people by themselves with very little experience, lessons are a must, if only for your own safety.
snow conditions
Great guys, ok lessons it is.....

Ok, so plan is 2 wait till end of feb and look to book, to clarify the main skiiing tour operators are?

Inghams, Crystal, Mark Warner, Thompson, Igluski, Ski Olympic, direct ski, .......... any other good ones im missing? Puzzled
snow conditions
Igluski are an agent, not a tour operator.

Also worth trying www.chaletsdirect.com and posting in the forum. Lots of small operators there who may do you a last minute deal
snow report
I've used chaletsdirect and they were brilliant - they have a forum/chatroom - we posted our needs on there, owners contacted us direct and we negotiated half price deal on a chalet which £350 (you have to leave it to VERY last minute though and we organised flights etc ourselves).
Resort - I learnt in Andorra - Soldeu. Good slopes and ski schools. Good apres ski if you like lots of Brits around. Long transfer but hey - used to be very good value.
Good luck - am slightly jealous as my first week of skiing was the best and when I completely fell in love with it. Still obsessed 10 years later:-)
ski holidays
Another shout for Andorra as a consideration. We had a great time there last Easter. I think most of the towns are reasonably quiet, apart from Pas de la Casa which is quite lively. Not the prettiest of towns though!

As I said earlier the tourist board in Andorra do a good job of tying in ski school, lift pass and equipment for quite a reasonable rate.

Bargains are out there, we went to Andorra last Easter for around £2050 for 3 of us flights, half board hotel, lift passes, equipment and 2 x lessons (approx £700 each all in). We're going to Les Arcs 1800 this Easter school holiday and have paid £1,750 for 3 of us flights, transfers, full catered chalet, lift passes. We need to sort our equipment out, but we're not having lessons this time round, I reckon it'll be about £633 each all in. Bear in mind that we're probably paying a bit extra to go during school holidays.
ski holidays
hammerite wrote:
We're going to Les Arcs 1800 this Easter school holiday and have paid £1,750 for 3 of us flights, transfers, full catered chalet, lift passes. We need to sort our equipment out, but we're not having lessons this time round, I reckon it'll be about £633 each all in. Bear in mind that we're probably paying a bit extra to go during school holidays.

Was this a package? May I ask who with if so?
latest report
Yes it's was a package. Booked with Chaletline, same holiday was on Iglu at a slightly higher price. The holiday is with Skiworld. We got told something about the price being an error on the website, but they'd honour it. Not sure if this was really the case. The price is also a bit lower as we got a free childs lift pass when booking two adults passes, other than that no other child discount was offered - which is fair enough, they must've heard how much Jnr eats! We have to share a bathroom, which the OH wasn't too keen on, but there's only 4 other people staying in the chalet.

Earlier in the month Skiworld had a 50% sale on some chalets, we'd originally missed out on a week in La Plagne 1800 which was £410 each fully catered, flights, transfers (but not inc. lift passes and equipment).
snow report
Nice, cheers.
snow report
I have no idea what the place we're staying at is like though. We're generally not too fussy, so as long as there's a bed and the food is edible we'll be happy. The skiing is more important!
snow report
Neilson is my favourite TO (though all the ones I have used have been very good - Inghams and Crystal in particular) and they do a beginners package. Don't know if it is economic though. More details here:

http://www.neilson.co.uk/Snow-Beginners.aspx

snowHead
snow report
janus909 wrote:
Great guys, ok lessons it is.....

Ok, so plan is 2 wait till end of feb and look to book, to clarify the main skiiing tour operators are?

Inghams, Crystal, Mark Warner, Thompson, Igluski, Ski Olympic, direct ski, .......... any other good ones im missing? Puzzled

Thomas Cook (they own both Neilsons and Airtours, but I find the Thomascook.co.uk website better for searching than either of the subsidiaries).

Crystal and Thomson (along with First Choice) are actually all one company too (TUI) but there is no "group" website for them. IME, they more often have the better bargains, but you can never be sure until you look.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
janus909, If you want good Apres Ski you want Austria. If you want good, reasonably priced Austrian Apres Ski you want Mayrhofen.
ski holidays
Welcome to snowHead , janus909 - glad to see you registered Cool

Even though you're going to wait to book until a couple of weeks out, keep an eye on the deals every few days between now and then so that you'll recognise the best value for money when it comes time for you to book.

The reasons I like and recommend AlpineAnswers are that:
- they have most of the major TOs last minute deals
- their search facility is very easy to use so it can save a ton of hunting around
- they have useful reviews on the chalets and most include a map of their proximity to the centre of town/village and the slopes
- there is a helpful list of availability against dates and prices in each chalet page

It's a bit of a one-stop-shop.

I'm sure, once you've picked your resort, that there'll be a sH or 67 who can recommend good instructors for you to book with.

Also, between now and your holiday you could always take an occasional trip up to Hemel Hempstead for instruction. This would help maximise the value you get from your lift pass while you're on holiday. sH's has a special relationship with Hemel and there are events at cut rates there from time to time that usually have instruction (excellent, of course) opportunities as a part of them. Keep an eye on the forum snow events for those.

f
snow report
Hey guys, ok i think we have found what we are going for, but would just quickly like to know what you all think......................

We are going to Les Deux Alpes .......... ive read thats its fairly snow sure, good nightlife, good variety of runs, read about a couple of negatives but nowhere will be perfect, does anyone have any experiences of this place??

We will be staying at the following...

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g196707-d289479-r90317623-Residence_Maeva_La_Muzelle-Les_Deux_Alpes_Isere_Rhone_Alpes.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

Its got some pretty terrible reviews as well as a number who are commenting on how its good value for money and is a perfect location - we are both mid 20's so can deal with a little bit of dirt / noise from nearby bars!

so anyhow, total cost is

£567 - all in....

Thats includes, flights, accom, transfers, ski passes and ski hire!!!

What do you all think?
snow report
Personally I hate self catering... and with the prices in France being so high it's going to hammer your budget, plus as a beginner you just don't need a resort the size of LDA....

Have a look at Ski Miguel or RocketSki, they do some great value accommodation just slightly out of centre in slightly smaller resorts, will arrange ski hire, lift pass, lessons, etc, ie Le Corbier - £319 half board . We just stayed at the RocketSki Clubhotel Reigler in Saalbach and the Austrian Apres was excellent... (Goatbar, Costellos, Evaalm, Walleggalm, etc)

But as others have said above, we did several years in Bulgaria as beginners. and got some really great deals, for about £500 for everything... (Borovets or Bansko)

But at the moment I'd go on the snow reports, some places seem to be struggling...
snow report
janus909, that looks good to me, and you can be sure of snow in Les Deux Alpes - I've skied there in June, up on the glacier!

Self catering is the way to save money, there are plenty of shops in the resort to buy stuff, and a range of restaurants - some quite reasonable - if you want to eat out.

There is a very splendid ski instructor there, called Charlotte Swift, who a lot of us have used. See her website, easiski.com She does private or small group lessons. If Charlotte is fully booked when you are going she would be able to point you in the right direction. Spend as much on lessons as you can possibly afford - it's the key to your future enjoyment of skiing!

Depending on snow conditions you might be well advised to take a gondola down rather than try to ski down - some of the runs back to the resort are tricky, for various reasons, but riding down in a lift is most enjoyable!

Plenty of apres ski available, big range of bars. One of the more lively French resorts (many are pretty quiet, which is the way I like 'em).
latest report
Hi Ya,

I had my first week of skiing last week, totally hooked, only went because a friend said they found a great deal. skitopia had a deal for 475 all in: flights (Easyjet), transfers,ski pass, ski hire,boots, breaky and evening meal... (I Found it is slightly cheaper to book lessons out there than via that company)

We enjoyed it so much I've managed to hop on another friends ski trip booked for march in Austria somewhere... costs nearly twice as much but should be fun.

Dave,

Of course as it was our first time i have nothing else to compare it with!
snow conditions
Leaky, sounds like a good deal, where did you go?
snow report
pam w wrote:
Self catering is the way to save money, there are plenty of shops in the resort to buy stuff, and a range of restaurants - some quite reasonable - if you want to eat out.

I must say, I'm not entirely convinced that it works out that way. Of course, eating pasta and tomato sauce will be cheaper than dining in style in a chalet, but there's often more to it than that:

1. In many resorts there's nowhere to buy food. The tiny supermarkets are outrageously expensive, the choice is minimal and they'll be out of stock. Don't expect to buy wine for €1 a bottle.
2. In catered chalets, booked last minute, they're often no more expensive than self catering. The chalet staff are already there, paid for, so there's more of a need to sell the week at a knock-down price. The actual food (purchased at a mega supermarket not in the hills) is pretty cheap.
3. The kitchens in French Alpine flats leave a lot to be desired.
4. French Alpine flats are *tiny* so you're more likely to want to go out and drink in expensive bars than if you've a nice spacious catered chalet to sit in (where the drinks are "free" or you can BYO for a small supplement). Beer = €1 in a chalet; €5 in a bar.
5. There's the "sod it let's go out rather than self cater 'cos we're on holiday and we're tired" mentality.
ski holidays
janus909, Welcome to snowHead s!

I would look at Soll or Mayerhofen! Good nightlife and apres ski and you will have a buzz!
latest report
James the Last, there are plenty of places to buy food in L2A. I've been there and bought it. Cool
ski holidays
Gee the reviews aren’t exactly glowing are they? Any decent ones are a few years old too so that doesn’t inspire confidence. Perhaps that’s why the deal is so sweet?

PamW is right about there being plenty of supermarket options for self catering but the others have made good points about the ‘can’t be bothered cooking’ attitude that creeps in when you’re at the end of a hard day on the slopes before hitting a bar or club. James the Last is also dead on about the size of French apartments and their kitchens but I’ve stayed in a few and you get by.

Pam’s also right about our Charlotte Swift – EasiSki. If you do end up is 2Alpes, mention you’re a snowHead and that you're a pal o'mine.

There is so much to be said for going catered – you just don’t have to think about anything other than being at the table at the right time to be fed.

You’ve still got a few weeks up your sleeve. The other deals you might find probably won’t include rental and pass though so I’m glad I’m not in your shoes on this one. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I think L2A will be fine. You have the runs in town, those in Cretes, and those on the glacier which should all be suitable for a beginner. A lot more varied than the most resorts have for beginners.

Don't expect to ski all the way back to town at the end of the day though, you'd probably have to get the lift down.

If Charlotte is offering beginners group lessons the week you want to go then go for it, if not I'd be tempted to look elsewhere (Charlotte recommended 90 min lessons for just 2 people, otherwise you start losing concentration) and do group lessons for a first week skiing which usually combines drills with just skiing about following an instructor (a lot of people don't like this, but it helps get confidence up).

As for reviews being ropey, I wouldn't trust many on places like trip advisor, I've read some horror stories for places I went to and it turns out they were fine. You're more likely to report on a hotel you've had problems with than one you're happy with hence most places seem to have more than their fair share of negative reports.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy