Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dynafit v Fritschi Touring bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Do they release in a reliable way, are they as safe as Fritschis.

The toe is non-adjustable. They generally release from the heel piece laterally and vertically which are both adjustable. The scale is not DIN unlike fritchis etc. Apparently the lateral scale is similar to DIN but the vertical realease is of higher DIN than stated. Apparently in a backwards fall the toe (when in locked touring position) will release with a DIN of 10/12. They definitely don't release as well as a fritchi and are not as safe but by what margin is anyone's guess. If you have issues with knees look elsewhere. I don't think I'll ever ski them for that reason.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I bought my first pair of dynafits this year and have been using them with a pair of Scarpa Skookums. Have mounted them on fatter skis (K2 hardsides) than I've used before but the set-up still weighs less than my previous Scott Mission / Fristchi Freeride combination.

I've been having problems with pre-releases which I initially blamed on the bindings before finally working out that only my right foot (irrespective of which ski was on it) was affected. It looks as though part of the binding insert on the toe piece of the right boot has failed - a bit of the metal that lines the socket has cracked off so the socket itself is now larger than it should be.

You can understand that I am now talking to Scarpa about this as the boots are less than a season old and have had very little use.

However this does make me think that one of the consequences of very clever and intricate engineering might be that the overall system has relatively less tolerance and perhaps more prone to failure. I bought this set-up with big remote multiday tours in mind. What would have happened if there had been a failure along these lines in the middle of nowhere?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haggis_Trap wrote:
^ comedy pre-release on parlor at exact moment he tries to get rad for photo opportunity ?
further proof that this binding is totally awesome - +1 for dyanfit, it wouldnt happen with fritschi Wink

Your'e joking aren't you? The final stretch of a ski tour, skiing down a narrow snow covered road to get back to the car park. I was messing about doing short radius wedelning (aka Sperm turns) overtaking my mates and a few other tourers in a sort of "look at me, I'm not tired I can go faster than you" kind of way. At this point the screw that holds the 2004 Fritschi Freeride binding falls out (new model has two screws and has been changed so this kind of thing shouldn't happen again). In an Insta-tele moment my binding comes apart and I fly off the road into the trees. All the people I just overtook rubber neck me as they go past and shake their heads. I'm left to pick up the pieces and walk back to the car. Coments like "that was great can you do that again?" didn't help either.

http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181465&highlight=Fritschi
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Both the the toe and heel section on dynafits release.
The toe is fundamentally a big spring - and you can rotate the heel piece.
However you generally need some sideways movement.
They will release vertically but in only under certain scenarios...

Quote:
I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve been having problems with pre-releases

Most pre-releases are generally caused by ice in either the inserts or under the toe.
Which can be avoided once you know to check.
But....

Quote:
It looks as though part of the binding insert on the toe piece of the right boot has failed - a bit of the metal that lines the socket has cracked off so the socket itself is now larger than it should be.

That is very scary.... And interesting.
I dont know if you have read about the Salomon Quest incident ?
(Someone in the USA broke both legs, plus all 3 ligaments, after the inserts ripped out on a pre production test pair of Salomon Quests - then, to date, Salomon have so far refused to offer compensation).
Lou Dawson had commented on Wild Snow that there are currently no manufacturing or safety standards for binding inserts.

I imagine any dynafit insert failures is something Scarpa would want to keep low-key - especially given recent history and bad publicity...
So if they dont give a satisfactory, and prompt, answer then mention the Salomon Quest incident and I am sure you will be sorted out ASAP Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno wrote:
actually he wasn't really showing off that much but it was pretty funny

Don't water it down.

motatapu, sorry to hear about your experience. As far as I know Scarpa buy / license the inserts from Dynafit, I am surprised there has been an actual failure. Can you post some pictures? Dynafit bindings have been around since the early '80s with very little change in their design, I would like more details.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just a rumour ...

Salomon Quest issue was alledgedly because of where Salomon had mounted the inserts in the toe of the boot.
Quests are currently being supplied without inserts, and the holes plugged with plastic.
Not surprisingly, litigation is ongoing in the States.

If you look at a pair of Quests, and another boot with Dynafit, it is fairly obvious what the problem could be ...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alan McGregor, it's not a rumour, Salomon made the insert out of tin foil and encapsulated it in paper-mâché. My OH had a pair. Quests are still available with the non-tech soles, they didn't just 'plug' the wholes, it's a separately manufactured part.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlor, You got tin foil and paper maché??? The several pairs we have here waiting for replacement are all the 'Alpen/Clingfilm' versions and a couple have had fails on the 'V' closure at the back rendering the flex nul, damn mess to be honest.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, yeah, the clingfilm version was sold as "glad wrap" here, I can't remember how it was, one was a Pro, one a 12? Something like that.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Update -

Went to the local large sportschain outlet (because I have some gift vouchers and they have a no quibble change policy on footwear inc ski boots). Smallest size they had was a Mondo 26 but the sole length (+8mm) and fit was larger than my Garmont Adrenalin Mondo 26 boots - why Puzzled

They said Garmont are sold-out but they might be able to get hold of a 25.5 later this week rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
another advantages of dynafits over fritschi's is they don't have that annoying clack-clack everytime the frame bangs back into the heel...can be annoying following someone on freerides up a skin track (although maybe not the end of the world Neh Neh)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy