Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has anyone succesfully claimed compensation for a flight delay?

Poster: A snowHead
valais2 wrote:
Timeline

Climbing in South of France - excellent week
Arrived Montpellier Saturday 21.00 for Easyjet flight
Flight cancelled.
Next vacant flight Tues - kids (then 6 and 8 ) needed to attend school Monday
Would not put us onto alternative carrier
Hired car, drove from Montpelier to hotel (30kms) then to Calais, then train Dover-Cambridge
Horrible journey
Submitted all documentation to Easyjet
Easyjet helpline designed to discourage - different person every time, always demanded all documentation all over again and story all over again - exhausting
Easyjet then claimed we had got onto a flight that evening (!!!!) so much for security.
That took over a month to resolve
Repeated calls, endless waiting with Easyjet music bashing my hearing
Endless telling of story and resubmitting of all documentation - some denial of previous contact
Four months in (!!!!!) lost patience.
Posted all details on consumer website.
Within 4 hours, Easyjet email offering full compensation.

Note to self: Easyjet (and other airlines?) have robot monitoring of consumer websites and do not want adverse publicity.

Mod - where the hell did that emoticon come from - can't edit it out....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
valais2 wrote:
Next vacant flight Tues - kids (then 6 and Cool needed to attend school Monday

Mod - where the hell did that emoticon come from - can't edit it out....

It's because you entered the character 8 followed immediately by a closing bracket. If you edit it and insert a space between the 8 and the ) it'll work fine, example: 8 )
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Alastair Pink, ah....deep magic.....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
2 years ago I was delayed 3 hours on an Aer lingus flight from Lyon to Dublin.
I put in a claim with a refund company and forgot about it. Last month a check arrived for 350 Euro.
250 euro each and they took their 150 commission.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've had 3 successful claims and 1 rejected (the rejection was years and years ago and I should have contested but didn't, its too late to go back now. The rejection was for technical reasons, but there is now case law to help with this).

Of the three they paid, two were long haul and they didn't contest at all - I filled in the online form, using a well worded but concise letter. About a month or so later they confirmed settlement.

They rejected my claim at new year for 4 of us on our short haul cancelled ski flights. I contested. They rejected again. I contested again quoting relevant case law, they sent me a holding reply. After a month no response, so I wrote with an ultimatum and they agreed to settle. Just received a cheque for EUR1000 (in GBP equivalent) for 4 of us.

Lessons: do it all in writing, don't waste your time trying to phone - or you'll spend ages on hold and get the run around. Be concise, quote the regulations/law, (use template laters if need be). Be specific in what and how much you are claiming for (the EU regulations specifiy exactly what level of compensation is payable depending on the flight distance and the length of delay). Make it clear you are making a claim and expect settlement. Your claim needs to come across that you fully understand the regulations and what you are entitled to. You may be lucky, but expect an initial rejection after a delay. Chase any unacceptable delays. Depending on the reason for the rejection and if you still believe you have a valid claim search for case law that show the reasons they have given are not valid grounds for rejection. Persist. Be firm but polite and stick to the facts, the regulation rules and the relevant case law, don't use emotion or flim flam. Give clear (but reasonable) timescales by which you expect a response. If you don't get anywhere after around 4 months, log with the CAA. They will review your case and give you a view (for a fee). It may or may not make the airline pay up, but if they give you a positive view and the airline still decline then decision on the next step, taking court action is much easier.

The money saving expert guide and templates referenced already is good. There's other short guides or summaries of key cases if you google it. If you can't be bothered plenty of firms offer to do it for you for a cut of what they get back.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The right to the EU Compensation for the delay (if it qualifies under the regulations and if the airline cannot prove it was due to extraordinary circumstances beyond their control) is entirely separate to any insurance claim you might have put in.

It is also in addition to the duty of care the airlines must provide during the delay (ie. food, drink, accommodation if applicable, access to communications).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A friend filled in the compensation claim form while waiting in the departure lounge for a delayed Easyjet flight (delay was only 3 and a bit hrs). By the time she arrived in Chamonix the money was in her account!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I got delayed 7 hours on a FlyBE flight in April. I copied a moneysavingexpert template and e-mailed it to the airline. They paid without any further prompting within 2 weeks. I was offered 400 euros cash or 500 euros to spend on future flights in the next 18 months.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes. Ours was an 11 delay in Finland with Thomson (via Crystal). Our plane was needed to pick people up from France when an airport there closed due to snow and people were bussed to another French airport.

Thomson turned our claim down.

By coincidence we had a speculative email at that time from Blueway flight delay solicitors.

We received £800 and they got £400. Had Thomson paid up to start with of course we would have got the full £1200 but there you go.

The irony is if they had treated us like valued customers and adults and not idiots, and maybe a token £100 gesture, we would have been happy and gone away.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gazzza wrote:
...The right to the EU Compensation for the delay... is entirely separate to any insurance claim you might have put in. t is also in addition to the duty of care the airlines must provide during the delay (ie. food, drink, accommodation if applicable, access to communications).
All good advice.

BA "offshore" their cattle class "customer service" and it's just a fob-off system designed to insult their customers. They held me at LHR overnight waiting for a flight and then had the audacity to refuse to pay my expenses because I'd not retained receipts. I suggested that we should discuss their suggestion that it's possible to spend an unplanned 15 hours at their airport and incur no costs down here at my local court. They coughed up, but it reminds me that they're thieving nasty people who will steal from honest people given the chance. I think it's a duty to not allow that. I would issue proceedings against them for the cost of a cup of coffee without breaking stride: I've seen the enemy, and I know they're weak.

It's much harder to get EU compensation, although it does remind me of why I really need an EU passport. The airlines claim pretty much anything is "out of their control", even when the cause is really their profitability. As above, being reasonable and steady is the way to win. It will generally cost them significantly more to try to defend the indefensible than it costs an intelligent person to hound them. But don't try hounding the Indians: you have to get to someone who isn't paid to run interference.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Generally, I'd suggest avoiding the law firms who just want a thumping great slice of competition that is coming to you anyway. 99/100 you really don't need them.

@philwig, I don't think it's unreasonable for them to ask for receipts. How else do they know you didn't stay with Granny in Hounslow or just double the cost of the hotel you did stay in?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is it just me or have posts from abc and myself been disappeared?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We were delayed/flights cancelled due to fog whilst returning home from Geneva last December. Flight was diverted to Leeds/Bradford instead of Liverpool after leaving 5 hours late. Chaos ensued, as you can imagine with flights from everywhere landing at 9pm after 15 mins notice to the airport (they tried to put down at Manchester but aborted the landing 100m from the runway!!!).

EasyJet, without any quibble, refunded a taxi to our friends near LBA, our taxi back to Liverpool the next morning, and the difference in cost for a Flybe flight back to the Isle of Man as their flight was full owing to the cancellation the day before.

We were very impressed and would use them as our first choice as a result of this experience.

£300 in all, straight back to our account without any issues.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All thanks to the EU
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
With regards to the thread title "Has anyone successfully claimed compensation for a flight delay?" I guess there'll be a few thousand BA passengers who'll soon be finding out..... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Had a flight canceled on me by Swiss Air at the gate. I had to wait 4 hours, and take a flight with another airline.

Sent them an email, and gave them 14 days to pay me the compensation due — a few hundred Euros.

Heard nothing.

Issued a County Court Summons online.

They paid within 7 days of receiving the summons, plus my filing fee.

Simples.
ski holidays
Need some chips with that Spam?
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, Laughing Laughing
latest report
@Nadenoodlee, careful...you might called out for being unwelcoming
snow conditions
Need some chips and Mayo with that Spam?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy