Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

anyone been to the resorts near Seattle

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of doing a road trip around the resorts within 1 - 2 hours drive of Seattle, apparently lots of resorts in the mountains east of Seattle.

What are these resort like please
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mt Baker is an excellent 'hill' which has long been revered by snowboarders, some even see a visit as akin to a pilgrimage (several riders including terje haakonsen boycotted the olympics to ride the Baker's banked slalom event).

At 2 1/2 hours drive from Seattle according to their own website it's just outside of what you've stated but there's an excellent guest house at the bottom of the mountain in a tiny town called Glacier (say Glaysher).

2 of the best days riding i've had especially if you're a fan of trees and steeps. Watch out for the famous baker road gap on the way up there too:

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ps that's not me. i wish!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I haven't skied any of them yet but looking forward to it.

Mt Baker is one of the snowiest places on Earth and claims the record (from 1999) of receiving the most snow fall in a single season.

It does rain too though, there is a reason it's called the Pacific North Wet.

Here's a map of Washington ski areas.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
slidergirl wrote:
I'm thinking of doing a road trip around the resorts within 1 - 2 hours drive of Seattle, apparently lots of resorts in the mountains east of Seattle.

What are these resort like please

Crystal Mtn - 90 minutes south of Seattle. Great side country, off-piste skiing. They have a new 8 person gondola that started running this year. Nice groomers of the 6 pack Forest Queen chair. Green Valley has nice open bowl skiing, and can lead you to other areas into Northway, where you can ski trees, chutes and bowls. Bottom of the run gets moguled and icy. If you like steeps, you can take the High Campbell chair, chair 2 to the locals. A short 8-10 minute hike, and 5-10 minutes of traversing gets you access to great avy controlled chutes and bowls. 3 restaurants. One at the base, Campbell lodge at mid mtn, and Summit House at top where the gondola station is located. Great views of Mt. Rainier on a blue bird day. Stop at the Snorting Elk for an apres ski beer at the end of the day. Very crowded on weekends. But lift lines usually are not too bad. Best to get their early before the lifts start running. Locals will be lining up 45 minutes before the lifts start spinning on a pow day. This is my preferred mtn, and I have a season pass here. So far La Nina has delivered some great early season skiing conditions.

Alpental - 60 minutes due East of Seattle. Great steeps, pillow lines and back country skiing. If you are into off-piste skiing, just ask a patroller at the ski hut at the top of the Edelweiss chair for a tour. This is an expert black and double black runs only chair. Make sure you have avy gear. Armstrong chair at mid mtn is intermediate runs. This is where locals go on a pow day for the steep and deep.

On the other side of the valley is Summit Central and Summit East/West. Lots of cruisers and intermediate runs. More of a day ski area with the kids. Lots of ski schools on weekends. Deserted on weekdays. They also offer night skiing. Your lift pass is good at all 4 areas.

Stevens Pass - 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours depending on traffic and road conditions. Two sides of the mtn. Front side (West Facing) has a terrain park, anad you have a double chair, 7th Heaven, which will access double black runs. Can get moguled up when no fresh snow for a while. Tye Mill area on the front side has short runs but can also access the backside too. backside is East facing and has lots of long blue cruisers as well as some nice steep chutes and gladed skiing. Gets slushy on sunny, warm days. Good skiing when it is cold. There are 3 restaruants on the front side. Gets very crowded on weekends, especially with fresh snow. For something different, you can drive 30 minutes East after a ski day, and have a Bavarian style dinner and German beer in Leavenworth.

Mt. Baker - 3 hours north of Seattle. Great off-piste skiing. Not crowded during weekdays. Can be crowded on weekends, especially with fresh snow, which Mt. Baker can get large dumps. 50 Cm dumps are not uncommon. Snow can be heavy at times, as it is at a lower base elevation. Two base areas, Heathers and White Salmon. Chair 8 at White Salmon for blue cruisers. C-6 for black runs, and C-1 for double blacks. Off-piste skiing here is legendary. But you need someone who knows the area, and you need your avy gear.

PM me if you want more info.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
View of Mt. Rainier fm Silver Basin ridge, Crystal Mtn, WA

Looking toward Green Valley and Summit House
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Toadman pretty much nailed it. Are you planning on staying overnight in Seattle or staying closer to the mountains? Bear in mind that only Crystal has lodging at its base. Otherwise you'll be staying 20-30 miles away. How much time do you have? You could do a Stevens Pass - Mission Ridge - Snoqualmie/Alpental loop with a Crystal add on at the end. Mt. Baker is unfortunately kind of isolated and a longer drive.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy