Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do you think is the biggest challenges or problems we face as snowboarders?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
david@mediacopy wrote:
rayscoops wrote:
Biggest challenge - hire gear - totally rubbish in general and bad choice and advice for the hire shops.

That's a very good point. Most of the hire gear I've had has been absolutely rubbish.

Agree, enormously. This is why I own a snowboard and don't own skis, despite being (much) more skier than boarder. Renting skis can be rather pleasurable, trying out all different sorts. Renting a board is a depressing experience.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar wrote:
bar shaker wrote:
Perhaps the biggest challenge we face is ignoring the technique snobs and just enjoying ourselves.
rolling eyes

Rob you bit far too quickly wink

I'm all for great technique, taught or self learnt and I don't look down on those that haven't achieved it yet.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
we sit down to stop Embarassed
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
talbyem wrote:
we sit down to stop Embarassed

Naah, it was mostly face plants today at the Snowdome! (Talbyem is my 11 year old dark sider daughter!)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i was getting used to my new board
had to many edges to catch Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
stevomcd wrote:
2) Instruction/ability - hugely more snowboarders than skiers are self-taught to a greater or lesser extent. I think this shows in ability levels on the hill. Sure, snowboarders can zoom around the place pretty quickly (and in control) but most people's riding plateaus big-time because they lack some technique basics that would allow them to progress.

If the number of snowboarding lessons that I see is typical I think that's right. Many, many more ski lessons compared to snowboarding lessons taking place. While I'm not a snowboarder so maybe not in the best position to comment, I do see a very high proportion of boarders who rely on kicking their board around with the backfoot and a lot of sideslipping to get around the mountain. I see fewer skiers relying on the equivalent low level technique to get around the place.

So maybe the key thing which is generally holding snowboarding back is a lack of available instruction and/or the perception that lessons aren't necessary to get better?

rob@rar,

Pure conjecture on my part here for that "instruction/ability" issue:
- A significant number of snowboarders, bar the younger ones, are often converted skiers (like myself) who felt confident enough to learn the basics themselves and/or to tight to pay for lessons (again, like myself.. Embarassed )
- Irrespective of previous background or bagage, snowboarding has the "advantage" to get you quicker (compared to skiing) to a point where you feel enough in control and having fun, thus giving the ofetn false impression that lessons are not need anymore.

I had one week a year worth of ski lesons from the age of 5 till about 11/12. So that's 6/7 weeks at least of tuition.
I think most beginners boarders do a week at most...often they just do the "learn in a day" type of course then don't bother..

The best thing for me, without taking lessons, has been to join a new group where I was at the bottom of the league in terms of ability, where I struggled to keep up with everyone (And that was coming form being "top dog" in a lower ability group). That really focused my mind and forced me to really ay attention to my technique..
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On the weekend I watched both skiers and boarders on a few runs from a chairlift or two, and I would say that for both disciplines maybe only 10 percent were not skidding their turns to some degree, with some skidding more than others. Most of the 90% that were not putting completely clean carved turns seemed to be having fun though Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think my main issue is the way some skiiers look down on snowboarders, I have wrecked myself a few times while riding and have been treated with utter contempt by skiiers. I snapped my wrist clean in half a few years ago after flying out of a halfpipe and landing on sheet ice, and i was lying on the slope screaming and passed out after 5 minutes from the pain, and according to the snowboarder who carried me down the slope about 15 skiiers simply went straight past me. I don't understand what skiiers have against snowboarders, as I ALWAYS stop and help people who have stacked on he slope, regardless of whether they ski or ride. This rivalry really needs to be sorted out.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I agree... vive la différence!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
TheDelaney, skiers have no more against snowboarders than snowboarders have against skiers, probably less in most cases. There's good natured banter between me and my boarder mates, but that's the extent of it. People who persists in the boarders v snowboarders thing is almost certainly a newbie trying to sound like they're not one. Or just plain old idiots. Anyone who's been skiing or boarding for a while will have equal respect for both disciplines.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dr John, good point, I personally have nothing against skiiers in general, I just despise people who refuse to help others when they're in trouble, regardless of whether they're a skiier or snowboarder.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TheDelaney, same here, if I see someone take a hard fall, or looks to be in a spot of bother, I'll ask if they're OK and help if I can. Good for Karma points if nothing else.

One thing though, I'd challenge the statement that 15 skiers passed you without stopping. Are you sure that no boarders also went past? People see, hear and acknowledge what they want to, based on their own pre-conceptions, mostly on a subconscious level. An example being a skier on a lift looking at a boarder struggling with falling leaf on a steep slope and commenting "bloody boarders, scraping off all the fresh snow" etc etc, while ignoring (or choosing to ignore) the 10 boarders who've gone down the same slope with some style. They would also probably ignore the nervous skier snow-ploughing/side slipping down the same slope. Reverse skier/boarder as appropriate. (I've done it myself when having a pop at boarders sitting down in the middle of a piste, only then to have to weave through skiers parking themselves perpendicular to a narrow cat track)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy