Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet weight allowances

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

I am going to Tignes tomorrow and have booked my snowboard bag in. I am a bit confused about the weight limits??
If i only book my snowboard bag in and dont book any space in the hold, do i still get the 32kg allowance??

Thanks

Caz
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowy011, If it's booked in as sports luggage with no other hold bag then it's 32kg.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cheers Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am not so sure about that. Why would they give you 20kg of extra weight for free?

Edit: sorry, wasnt clear. As far as I know, you get 20kg allowance if you buy a hold bag, and 12kg extra when you add "sports equipment"
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah, careful. From what i understand, no one piece of luggage can weigh more than 23kg now.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm heading to VT in a couple of weeks and have been trying to get my head around it all.

So 1 x hold luggage, 1 x ski and board carriage = 32kg?

Are there any restrictions on what the weight split is? Ie. luggage 24kg skis/board 8kg?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Karis., I always seem to get away with 20kg for main bag and 15 in ski bag. Just stick a toe under hte end when it's being weighed wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Backcountryboarder wrote:
Yeah, careful. From what i understand, no one piece of luggage can weigh more than 23kg now.

Since when? I thought that they don't like you to have a bag over 23kg, but it can be up to 32kg and obviously you have to pay the excess. They took my bag (30kg) back at the start of December so must be a recent thing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I need just 1 question answered that I have tried to look for in the other threads but can't seem to find it - it must be me, but here is the question... I am going with mates for a 4 day trip & for that reason we are all hand luggage only except one of us is taking just a boardbag. I booked the flights and have just booked his boardbag as hold luggage (i,e only £18 instead of £18 e/w for sporting equipment). As it will be well below 20kg as most of his clothes etc will be in his hand luggage, will Easyjet take it without trying to charge us extra by saying its sporting equipment? I can't find anywhere that restricts the size of your paid for hold luggage as long as its below 20kg.... but I could be wrong.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oscarkat - same situation last week flying Luton to Geneva - my mate booked his board bag in as sports equipment so no problem but the guy in front tried to claim his was normal luggage & got charged extra - the girl on the desk said that anything that could go on the normal conveyor was luggage, anything that had to be taken to the oversize luggage department was sports equipment - if you have a very short board then no problem but I'd play safe
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sitter, from what i remember, the 23kg rule is a Health & Safety ruling that was passed last January. Baggage handlers can now refuse to shift anything over that mark. At least, that was the main jist of the speech i received just before hurriedly having to re-arrange my board bag and hand luggage at Glasgow in March last year. Luckily i had space for the extra 3kg in the backpack!
Don't know what airport you use, but 2 weeks later when flying out of Glasgow again, i heard another 2 guys getting the same speech.
I've heard other people mention it when i've been out on the hills this season as well. Like i said, i don't know which airport you use, but from what i can gather, it probably depends on check-in or airline staff whether they enforce it or not.
Just putting it out there so you know, and don't get caught out. I used to throw everything in a coffin type, wheeled board bag coming in at 26kg. I've just packed my new board bag for this weekends trip to Val d'Isere, 2 boards, boots, bindings, 2 pairs boarding trousers and a jacket, mitts and gloves= 13kg.
The rest of it will go in a North Face Base Camp Duffle bag, weighing in at 10-12kg.
If you got a bag through at 30kg then i salute you, i'm going to stick to 2 bags from now on, that way i can enjoy the smugness when i hear someone else getting 'the speech'.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sporting equipment
Each passenger is allowed a maximum hold baggage weight of 50 Kgs including any sports equipment, subject to available space. The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32 kgs.
An additional non-refundable fee is charged per item per flight for the carriage of the sporting equipment as set out in the table below:

Currency Per flight (when pre-paid) Per flight (paid at the airport)
GBP 18.50 26.00
EUR 25.00 35.00
CHF 39.00 54.00
DKK 190.00 255.00
CZK 690.00 970.00
HUF 7,800.00 11,000.00
PLN 120.00 170.00
MAD 275.00 380.00

Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kgs.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And as i said in previous post, THE BAGGAGE HANDLERS CAN NOW REFUSE TO SHIFT ANYTHING ABOVE 23kg. Basically, anthing with an orange 'HEAVY' sticker on it. The important words being 'can now refuse'.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was flying out of Munich with EasyJet. Wouldn't normally carry that much luggage, but my bag was packed for the season where I travelled out by coach. Broke my ankle just after arriving in resort and so had to fly home. Have actually tried claiming for some of the excess baggage fees back on the insurance. Had it not been for the broken ankle, I'd have been in resort for 5 months, a fair amount of the weight in my bag would not have travelled back with me at the end. Any excess weight would either have been posted back, or extra weight paid for in advance (insurance sorted the flight so I didn't have the opportunity). Still waiting to hear back but if you don't ask, you don't get.

If they can refuse you for having a bag over 23kg then why the heck do the airlines tell you that the maximum weight is 32kg? I'd have been somewhat p'd off if I'd been able to pay for the extra weight with EasyJet in advance, just to be told at the airport my bag wouldn't be accepted. BA also state on their website that you can have up to 32kg.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Backcountryboarder wrote:
And as i said in previous post, THE BAGGAGE HANDLERS CAN NOW REFUSE TO SHIFT ANYTHING ABOVE 23kg. Basically, anthing with an orange 'HEAVY' sticker on it. The important words being 'can now refuse'.

But they won't, except where they are taking industrial action and "working to rule".

If they would, then check in staff wouldn't just slap a "heavy" sticker on, they would stop you checking in the case. Because once they have accepted it through check in, they have a contractual obligation to make sure it reaches your destination, and they are not going to accept anything that will not then be accepted by the baggage handlers.
snow report
Sitter, you can have up to 32kg if you pay for ski/board carriage, just spread over 2 bags, holdall/case and ski/board bag.

Alex heney, i'm just back from 2 weeks in Val d'Isere and between Glasgow Airport on the way out and Chambery on the way back i've seen 2 groups of people having bags over 23kg refused and not getting the option of paying excess baggage. Basically they had to open bags and rearrange luggage or just throw stuff that is easily replaced in the bin at the Airport. Looking at the group of 3 in Chambery who i think were flying to Manchester, there wasn't much rearrangement going on. Think 2 of the cases were up at the 26kg mark, they were just having to bin stuff. Didn't see an orange 'heavy' tag at any point, it was just a case of 'no, it's over the 23kg guideline, stuff has to go'.
snow report
If anyone takes 50kg on a sleasy flight you will need another kg of cash.

I am sure if one piece or bag, any bag, is over 20kg the next 12kg is £12 to £20 a kilo or the 32kg,s must be spread over two bags when booking sports luggage ie 20+12kg or 16+16kg as a example?

The 32kg limit can be spread over two bags is how I always read it and never took the risk of one piece of luggage (boardbag) at 32kg,s.... which it seems some have managed to fly with though,it could depend on the checkout person in that instance so I never chanced it.
I have seen bags thrown out of a plane onto concrete but that was the canarys,if its light it won,t wee wee the bag guys off or land so hard either,also is easier to move lighter bags if you have further connections.

Ba is the best with 23kg main bag +23kgs brdbag+hand luggage via europe but ££ more unless booked well in advance.
ski holidays
Tirol 164, a board bag can be up to 32 kg in weight.

I suspect the baggage handling unions have agreed to 23 kg single lift and 32 kg double lift, which is sort of an industry wide mean/average.

Easyjet website

Quote - A few really important things to remember: We support health and safety guidance for checked luggage and recommend that you keep the weight of each individual bag below 23kg wherever possible.
Legally we must apply a maximum limit of 32kg so any individual bag weighing more than 32kg cannot be accepted
ski holidays
One of my bags was 22kg at BHX for an Easyjet flight last month. It was accepted as Bev's was only 16Kg and that averaged OK it seems. (Pixie clothes are, of course, weightless.) Both of us had paid for ski bags, which didn't seem to matter. My 22Kg bag was given an orange "heavy" sticker.

Still unsure of what exactly the rules are in practice. I tried to point out that my paying for the ski carriage ought to give me 32Kg without question according to the website, but it is never a good idea to get into debate at these moments, so I let it go.

snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy