Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice needed

Poster: A snowHead
ise wrote:

Would it not be more effective if we refrained from posting things we'd made up or heard from a bloke in the pub and then presented as fact? I realise I'm running against the broad sweep of modern society in this but it would be a nice change.

ise, are you saying that I posted something I made up and then I presented as fact?? I think you need to take a look back at what I've said and think carefully. I'd also be interested to know where you got your 'fact' that British TOs push France more than Austria. I've only got 2 brochures for next year, Inghams and Crystal - probably 2 of the larger operators. Inghams has 27 Austrian resorts as compared to 13 French, Crystal has 28 Austrian as compared to 31 French. Doesn't seem like pushing it to me - you didn't hear that 'fact' from the man in the pub by any chance?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kramer - agreed on that one ( and that's my truth ) wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cathy Coins wrote:
ise wrote:

Would it not be more effective if we refrained from posting things we'd made up or heard from a bloke in the pub and then presented as fact? I realise I'm running against the broad sweep of modern society in this but it would be a nice change.

ise, are you saying that I posted something I made up and then I presented as fact?? I think you need to take a look back at what I've said and think carefully. I'd also be interested to know where you got your 'fact' that British TOs push France more than Austria. I've only got 2 brochures for next year, Inghams and Crystal - probably 2 of the larger operators. Inghams has 27 Austrian resorts as compared to 13 French, Crystal has 28 Austrian as compared to 31 French. Doesn't seem like pushing it to me - you didn't hear that 'fact' from the man in the pub by any chance?

No, I've got the figures right here. oops Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kosciosco, You seem to have made reasonable choices so far and are considering decent places and the right factors otherwise. I'm glad you've found our replies helpful, and I hope also not a little entertaining Laughing.

Once again, Welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead and I'm certain you're going to have a great time both choosing it and doing it.

ise, I'm afraid I'm going to continue to hold and express opinions from what I consider to be legitimate and respectable sources. I'm sure you're not proposing that we must have statistically representative personal experience of everything we post Little Angel. Feel free to correct me if you know my opinion to be wrong. No-one likes being denounced as wrong but that's very different from preferring to remain ignorant and uncorrected rolling eyes. BTW I still think the case is unproven NehNeh wink.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
All this blather about snow in Austria - we don't go anymore for a comepletely different reason ( and one that may apply to many others).

Because they are incapable of cooking a meal without dairy products. Cream, butter milk. Ladles full of the stuff. Ask the chef or the maitre d' if you can have it without, and they look at you like you are mad. Or worse, say yes and then sneak in a dollop.

And given my wife's lactose intolerance that's a bit of a problem.

Love the snow, love the apres, love the people. Just can't stand the cooking.

vive la France (and the North Americans) .

PS Welcome to Snowheads kosciosco , snowHead it a nice place really!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JimW wrote:
All this blather about snow in Austria - we don't go anymore for a comepletely different reason ( and one that may apply to many others).

Because they are incapable of cooking a meal without dairy products. Cream, butter milk. Ladles full of the stuff. Ask the chef or the maitre d' if you can have it without, and they look at you like you are mad. Or worse, say yes and then sneak in a dollop.

And given my wife's lactose intolerance that's a bit of a problem.

Love the snow, love the apres, love the people. Just can't stand the cooking.

vive la France (and the North Americans) .

PS Welcome to Snowheads kosciosco , snowHead it a nice place really!!

not much good for vegetarians either.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[quote="slikedges"]I'm sure you're not proposing that we must have statistically representative personal experience of everything we post Little Angel. /quote]

I am actually, there's 2000 odd members here (some of them very odd), an extraordinary range of experience and knowledge. I'd not need to guess what it's like to ski in Iran for example, there's people here done it.

They've done most stuff, from learn to ski in Andorra, fallen down crevases, become ski instructors, been to nearly every ski station we can think of, won races, been to a snowdome, tried every variate of travel to get to a ski station.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ise, Good point. There's a lot of truth in that, but whilst some things are completely valid and relevant anecdotally, nothing a small group of people experiences can ever really be statistically representative, so that imho reliable sources (which I appreciate may prove unreliable) still have value (fair dos that perhaps one should say "it is often said that" or "the common contention is" or "I've often read that").
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
slikedges, I don't have a copy to hand, but I'll wager, we're a larger and more experienced group than those contributing to the Good Ski Guide.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ise, be nice to think so Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ise, "I'll wager, we're a larger and more experienced group than those contributing to the Good Ski Guide."

Yes - I can't speak about right now, but the Good Ski Guide used to be produced by one guy. Therefore the information on resorts were HIS opinion. He always used to come here in Feb half term week (preferably one of the Parisian weeks) and write about our awful queues! (Actually the queues are only really bad at the bottom first thing and on the Cretes teaching slope) He never condecended to come in January or April!!! Evil or Very Mad

Also, the holiday skier should be aware that some resorts give visiting journalists free everything (so they write good stuff), and others (like here) give them much less. Therefore everything written in any of these guides should be taken with a very large pinch of salt. Skullie
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski wrote:
Also, the holiday skier should be aware that some resorts give visiting journalists free everything (so they write good stuff), and others (like here) give them much less. Therefore everything written in any of these guides should be taken with a very large pinch of salt. Skullie

Yes - some years ago, when I was editing a magazine for expats here in France, a resort made it very clear that they would be delighted to organise free accommodation and lift passes for a stay there. I regularly got invites to all expenses paid freebies around France - Montpellier, Paris, you name it. Obviously it was only the big towns and resorts that could afford this, and they clearly expected a quid pro quo.

Just to prove a point, I'll see if I can obtain any 'benefits in kind' from a resort I hope to visit in the not too distant future wink ... I'll keep you posted!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Be careful to distinguish between the Good Ski Guide (a magazine, largely containing advertorial) and the Good Skiing Guide (now called the Good Skiing and Snowboarding Guide, I think), published by the Consumers Association.

Having said that, the research budget of the Good Skiing Guide has never been clear and it's not known whether the CA fully finances the research travel involved, or whether the book primarily relies on the views of journalists who may have been on freebies via other publications.

There's also Where to Ski?, of course, which now seems to be the pre-eminent book of this sort.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Be careful to distinguish between the Good Ski Guide (a magazine, largely containing advertorial) and the Good Skiing Guide (now called the Good Skiing and Snowboarding Guide, I think), published by the Consumers Association.

Having said that, the research budget of the Good Skiing Guide has never been clear and it's not known whether the CA fully finances the research travel involved, or whether the book primarily relies on the views of journalists who may have been on freebies via other publications.

There's also Where to Ski?, of course, which now seems to be the pre-eminent book of this sort.

i know one ski instructor who mutters darkly about going to the Private Eye about the dodgy practices of one of the editors of one of those guides (probably shouldn't be more specific than that wink ).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Of course, any guide to 100, 200 or 300 (or more) ski resorts has to obtain its expertise in depth from people who have travelled to these places. I think the generally-accepted wisdom is that journalists who have freebied to dozens and dozens of resorts are in a position to then assess them in relative terms, with reasonable levels of impartiality.

To some extent it's true, but the growth of forums like this is building such a wealth of consumer knowledge from paying punters that the role of the journalism is diminished. The search facilities and databases of the various forums take over.
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
Of course, any guide to 100, 200 or 300 (or more) ski resorts has to obtain its expertise in depth from people who have travelled to these places. I think the generally-accepted wisdom is that journalists who have freebied to dozens and dozens of resorts are in a position to then assess them in relative terms, with reasonable levels of impartiality.

Generally accpeted by who? Journalists presumably.
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:

I was thinking of the latter, where readers have apparently submitted some very odd comments.
snow report
As I say, Where to Ski? (edited by two ex-editors of Which? and Holiday Which?) has more consumer credibility now. Peter Hardy (editor of the Good Skiing Guide) didn't cut his teeth in the disciplines of testing washing machines.

The rigour of meticulous detailed book editing doesn't characterise the Good Skiing Guide any longer, but it is evident in Where to Ski?

The early editions of the Good Skiing Guide are worth having on your bookshelf. From memory it began in 1985, and had lots of original touches.
snow conditions
I find that " Where to Ski and Snowboard " edited by Chris Gill and Dave Watts and published by Norton Wood to be the best guide on the market.

It has detailed review on 150 resorts and shorter details on about 850 others. They invite reports from 100s of readers who send in reports on the resorts they visit. The 100 best get a free copy of the book and the best regular reporters get a week's free pass ( but I bet it is at the big resorts! ).

The book has interesting chapters on : issues of the season, what's new, drive/fly/train to the alps, choosing your resort, resorts at a glance evalatuated against each other by chart, family holidays, weekend breaks, and a comprehensive reference section with tour operator details,etc..
ski holidays
What do people think of the Time Out guide? Doesn't cover as many resorts as some, but it seems to me that much of what it says is pretty on the ball. (As far as the few resorts I know are concerned, anyway)
ski holidays
Wow, it all kicked off here and you will have to forgive me if I have missed anything relevant but I have skiiped quite a few of the comments because of the ruck.
For what it is worth, MY personal opimion - based on resorts I have been to would be;
Megeve, very attractive chic French resort on grassy meadows. Don't require too much cover but at the resort @ 1000 metres is low for France. A mountain village unlike some of the higher purpose-built French stations
I have spent two weeks here, one with brilliant conditions and the other with very poor conditions. Good gentle skiing. Should be ok in Feb'
Soll, in Austria, lively apre-ski in famous Tyrol, Good extensive area which beginners will probably not need but you should meet lots of like-minded newbies. Does this job well.. Don't know specifically about Ski school but they know the Brits well.
Westendorf, a bit like Soll, and area connected but more self contained, can't remember the pistes for beginners.
Febrebrunn - Austria - Nice compact village and good slopes in the local village or Steinplatte which is worth a bus ride. This might not be required for beginners though.
Meringen. Switzerland. Village a walk from the slopes - didn't use the bus - but the skiing is good and varied. Quiet at night and mostly hotel accomodation.

For an all-round ski holiday Soll would be my recomendation

Oh, I forgot Belle-plagne which is a modern purpose resort which works well for beginners. But first or second year skiers might not make the Les Arcs connection as it is a bit too far...!! If you must have that facility stay closer..
latest report
JT wrote:

Meringen. Switzerland. Village a walk from the slopes - didn't use the bus - but the skiing is good and varied. Quiet at night and mostly hotel accomodation.

It's got an amusing car park as well, it's hidden in a wood near the lift, you can't see it from more than a 100m away and certainly not from up the hill. You park between trees and on an icey day it's quite interesting Very Happy
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, I really don't wish to cast nasturshums (no idea how to spell that!) on your profession, but if a journalist has had dozens of freebies to dozens of resorts, what will they think when they're expected to pay? I think it's fairly clear.
snow report
easiski wrote:
[b] I really don't wish to cast nasturshums.
I think these are flowers that are edible Puzzled
snow report
snowbunny, Didn't know you could eat them - do they taste good? Laughing
ski holidays
easiski, it ispossible that you are casting nasturtiums

snow report
I think the word she was looking for was " aspersions " Puzzled
ski holidays
hibernia, I prefer the yellow ones.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hibernia, a common pun, shurly.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 26-06-05 20:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
snowbunny, Didn't know you could eat them - do they taste good? Laughing

I've tried a couple - they taste rather like good strong watercress or rocket. My soil's a bit too heavy and rich to grow them properly though (they really want the poorest, sandiest soil you can find)...and as I have just about every variety of munching bug known to man in my garden the leaves get stripped in no time flat!

And aside from the common one, there are some lovely climbing relatives. T. peregrinum is an easy annual that gets covered in 1-2cm flowers that look just like a flock of Woodstocks, and I also have a perennial that appears some years called the Scottish Flame Flower - small flowers of the most wonderful scarlet that look stunning trailing though yellow leaved shrubs (although the very thin stems do look very weedy). Unfortunately this year it died off in about April after it looked as if it was going to give me another woderful show. I've not tried growing the other perennial - T. tuberosum, which is only half hardy and supposed to be rather tricky.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 26-06-05 20:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
GrahamN, perhaps we could trade some soil: mine's like a beach when it dries out!
snow conditions
laundryman & PG - you guys crack me up Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
laundryman, so are you on the Hog's Back ridge or the Woking sands? When I was trying to make some improvements to mine, a friend of living on the chalk ridge jumped at the chance of about a dozen bags of heavy clay I'd just dug out of the back garden.
ski holidays
GrahamN, the latter - Pyrford. Where are you? Guildford?
latest report
You lot couldn't follow a thread if it was tied to yer todger! rolling eyes
ski holidays
laundryman, yep, on the way to Wood St. Village. The other feature is I'm overhung by a huge oak tree, so last autumn I got 16 binbags of leaves off my (v. small) back patch of weeds loosely termed a lawn. May be able to do you some leaf mould for next year!
latest report
Masque, the title of this thread is "Advice needed". So kosciosco's been getting some advice....on matters journalistic, horticultural or culinary as added bonus tracks to his main enquiry. Ow't wrong wi'that? Very Happy
snow report
ise, quite so. If it it has a couple of decent restaurants and a bar or two, that's fine for me. I understand, 'though, that sometimes the 'young people' like to go to 'clubs' where they can do the 'twist' or the 'mashed potato' to the swinging sounds of the latest beat combo, sometime staying there until 11.30 or even later.
snow report
Masque, Laughing Yeah, I was getting quite worried - I thought I'd inadvertantly joined Percy Thrower on Gardener's World Shocked
snow report
'Tis the snowHeads silly season. Starved of snow, overheated, disappointed by the British Lions, soaked at Glastonbury, it's not so surprising there are a few loopy thread diversions. Life would be really boring without them. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy