Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

all mountain / freeride

Poster: A snowHead
currently have head c260i 170's but now looking to get a pair of all mountain ski's. toyed with the idea last year but now ready to get some after some powder last week in cormayeur.

so the question, whats the consensus on some forgiving all mountain ski's
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Consensus? Good luck.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jzBun wrote:
Consensus? Good luck.

fair comment, how does suggestions work for you Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mugen, what's your hight, weight, attitude, skill. Where do you want to ski, what do you want to do? % on/off piste etc.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jzBun wrote:
mugen, what's your hight, weight, attitude, skill. Where do you want to ski, what do you want to do? % on/off piste etc.

height 6'0"
weight 14.5 stone.
attitude ? erm more confidence than skill, have been known to run out of talent before slowing down.
skill, comfortable doing blacks but at a reduced speed when compared to other runs.

probably 30% off piste to start with. to be honest not sure but 30% is a good starter.
also current ski's tend to get caught up in even semi new snow and have to remain "active" through the turns to make sure they dont get caught. need something a bit more of an all rounder without feeling i have a snowboard on each foot.

hope that makes sense
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mugen,

I'll not recommend a ski but a length/width. Get something in the 180's. If you're venturing off-piste more, then you'll need the length and width.

I would say a mid fat around 90 waist, 180 - 186. Loads around.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dynastar Sultan 85. Again lol.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mugen,

if the Head skis you're on now, the Head C260i, are 112-64-95 and you are skiing 170s, then it is a slightly longer than FIS reg Slalom Ski. a proper Piste/carving ski.

the move to All Mountain in a 70/30 split (on/off piste) would mean, with your height and weight considered that a ski of 177 ish and 78-84 max underfoot would suit you really well. Longer and wider would mean that yes you would float a bit better, but you would lose the piste performance you were used to with shorter/thinner skis.
Also the talis might get hung up in turns through mogule and other places as well as you migh tnot be used to the extra lenght and swing weight.

recomendations in around 176-177
Salomon Tornado TI or TI PL
Salomon Enduro
K2 Rictor (or last years Recon)
K2 Aftershock - wide at 86 underfoot (or last years Xplorer)
Fischer Watea 78
Fischer Watea 84
or the Head Supershape Titan (to stick with Head skis)

These are great "Gateway Drug" skis that can definitely handle 50/50 skiing and all conditions. Anything wider/longer/more freeride oriented would be overkill, and if you didnt want to spent 80% of the time in the pow would just not be right.

also, this season is doing something strange weather wise, not sure how many amasing powder days there will be (or where they'll be).
Hope there will be plenty though....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 Salomon Tornado TI Happy I have them for the same 70/30 mix. Lovely ski, likes being worked hard and responds when the pressure is on. Stiff so needs to be driven, but great all over the mountain in all manner of conditions (hard pack, ice, crust, sugar, sweet soft powder etc...). I ski them in a 173 and the only thing I'm still not massively confident with them on are nasty moguls.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Based on my geekish research, I reckon your size weight would call for a mid 180 90 underfoot.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks very much for the info and time taken.
probably going to look at the head or salomon skis for no other reason that i like makes.

quadwould wrote:
mugen,

if the Head skis you're on now, the Head C260i, are 112-64-95 and you are skiing 170s, then it is a slightly longer than FIS reg Slalom Ski. a proper Piste/carving ski.

the move to All Mountain in a 70/30 split (on/off piste) would mean, with your height and weight considered that a ski of 177 ish and 78-84 max underfoot would suit you really well. Longer and wider would mean that yes you would float a bit better, but you would lose the piste performance you were used to with shorter/thinner skis.
Also the talis might get hung up in turns through mogule and other places as well as you migh tnot be used to the extra lenght and swing weight.

recomendations in around 176-177
Salomon Tornado TI or TI PL
Salomon Enduro
K2 Rictor (or last years Recon)
K2 Aftershock - wide at 86 underfoot (or last years Xplorer)
Fischer Watea 78
Fischer Watea 84
or the Head Supershape Titan (to stick with Head skis)

These are great "Gateway Drug" skis that can definitely handle 50/50 skiing and all conditions. Anything wider/longer/more freeride oriented would be overkill, and if you didnt want to spent 80% of the time in the pow would just not be right.

also, this season is doing something strange weather wise, not sure how many amasing powder days there will be (or where they'll be).
Hope there will be plenty though....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
colinstone wrote:
Based on my geekish research, I reckon your size weight would call for a mid 180 90 underfoot.

my worry about 90 underfoot is it may be a little bit wide
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm 5'8"/174cm and 75kg/160lb and advanced on/off piste and probably going for a Line Prophet Flite 177cm with 90 waist, and with touring bindings as I want to do 40/40/20 on/off/touring. Although 90, the ski still has good on piste performance and slightly is softer than the Prophet 90 with metal. Certainly concensus during a Ski Leader course in Dec was that nowadays on the latest skis 90mm min underfoot, with some thinking min 94mm. 90 underfoot would give you something to grow into, rather than be outgrowing it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
colinstone wrote:
I'm 5'8"/174cm and 75kg/160lb and advanced on/off piste and probably going for a Line Prophet Flite 177cm with 90 waist, and with touring bindings as I want to do 40/40/20 on/off/touring. Although 90, the ski still has good on piste performance and slightly is softer than the Prophet 90 with metal. Certainly concensus during a Ski Leader course in Dec was that nowadays on the latest skis 90mm min underfoot, with some thinking min 94mm. 90 underfoot would give you something to grow into, rather than be outgrowing it.

it's a fair point, something worth thinking about. hopefully get away another couple of times this year to test
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mugen, I'm 5'11" and 85kg, and I went for a pair of 178 Scott Missions in similar circumstances to you. They are 89mm underfoot but still really nice to ski on piste as well as off. Last season I did a bit of playing at the side of the piste on them, and this season have just used them on an off-piste course, and I have been very happy with them.
snow report
I went from a narrow piste ski (70mm waist, 163cm in length) to a 90mm waist ski at 179 length and they are great. Really short turns are not as good but everything else is better (more stable, better float, plough through anything that gets in the way!)

I'd say demo something wider but be mindful of the turn radius, my Line prophets have a turn radius of 17m but some skis in the same category can be as much as 26m.

Food for thought!
ski holidays
snoway, - did you try/consider the Flites?? and did you choose the 90. And without being too cheeky how tall/what weight are you?
Tks.
snow report
Another vote for Scott Missions.
I spend the whole season in resort and have skis for all occasions - Nordica Speedmachine Mach 2 170cm for hard-piste days, Icelantic Scout 143cm for hooning around, Atomic Pimp 193cm for big powder days, and Scott Mission 178cm mixed days.
If I had to pick a one-ski quiver, it would be the Scott Missions - if the piste is a little softer than bulletproof they carve almost as well as the Nordicas - they are stiff enough to cut through the crud off-piste and they give plenty of float in the soft stuff.
Having said that I'm really pleased with the Icelantic Scouts (new to me this season) - they are already my off-piste favourites, and even with 105 underfoot are fast edge-to-edge when carving. Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

Icelantic Scout [b]143cm[/b[ for hooning around

Laughing my (neutered) kitten's packing more than that Laughing
latest report
Extrem Big Pen,,, Fantastic skis,,,
http://extrem.com/products/big-pen/
snow report
Vokl AC40 Carbon, brilliant ski's just bought a pair and love them already. Brilliant on hard packed snow great in sugary springlike stuff we have at the end of each day at the moment and very good off piste through the trees if not a little bit too quick for my ability.
snow report
freeheelskier wrote:
Extrem Big Pen,,, Fantastic skis,,,
http://extrem.com/products/big-pen/

they have custom made in the title.. can only mean one thing!!
$$££££
ski holidays
I'm your height, a bit lighter (11.5 stone) and a bit less confident, but have very similar requirements. Three different ski techs recommended Fischer Watea 78s and Atomic Nomad Blackeye Tis to me.

I went for the Nomads; will hopefully find out on Sunday whether they were the right choice or not snowHead
latest report
If you truly want an all mountain / freride then you have to be looking at fatter and longer over thinner & shorter, 95 underfoor would be my very minimum you can ski a fat ski on piste and have relative fun but you really *want* a fatter/rockered ski for the pow to have a lot of fun.
why dont you check with the whitedot guys as they are doing demos all season long up the hills then you can try for yourself the preacher a 110 underfoot ski with rocker and a nice short turn radius i think it's 17m and they have the same ski in all the sizes which is the best thing possible for ski testing
ski holidays
ajrduff wrote:
I'm your height, a bit lighter (11.5 stone) and a bit less confident, but have very similar requirements. Three different ski techs recommended Fischer Watea 78s and Atomic Nomad Blackeye Tis to me.

I went for the Nomads; will hopefully find out on Sunday whether they were the right choice or not snowHead

please done confuse confidence with ability Smile
ski holidays
geeo wrote:
If you truly want an all mountain / freride then you have to be looking at fatter and longer over thinner & shorter, 95 underfoor would be my very minimum you can ski a fat ski on piste and have relative fun but you really *want* a fatter/rockered ski for the pow to have a lot of fun.
why dont you check with the whitedot guys as they are doing demos all season long up the hills then you can try for yourself the preacher a 110 underfoot ski with rocker and a nice short turn radius i think it's 17m and they have the same ski in all the sizes which is the best thing possible for ski testing

for hills are you talking the local ones or alps etc..
latest report
mugen, We're in Scotland every other weekend (this weekend i'm at the Lecht) then we have demo centres in Austria (Mayrhofen and this for this week St Anton), in France we've got test centres in Chamonix and Val Thorens and our distributors have test centres in Norway, USA (Utah) and in Bulgaria.
snow conditions
Dot. wrote:
mugen, We're in Scotland every other weekend (this weekend i'm at the Lecht) then we have demo centres in Austria (Mayrhofen and this for this week St Anton), in France we've got test centres in Chamonix and Val Thorens and our distributors have test centres in Norway, USA (Utah) and in Bulgaria.

i go up north most weekends depending on snow. when you next in avie or glenshee
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We were up at aviemore last weekend but only got half a day on Saturday. Next Month we're back at Glencoe and Nevis but that'll be the last two weekends in Feb. If you can get up to the Lecht this weekend i'll be there.
ski holidays
Dot., will be out in Val Thorens in a couple of weeks and will look to try the preachers.
snow report
mugen,
Quote:

I was in your position a couple of years ago but grasped the nettle and went from 74 to 90 in one fell swoop. Also upped the length from mid 170's to mid 180's. Should have done it years before!

No real discernible difference on piste but massive difference off-piste. If you are going to be spending more time off the groomed then get 90mm+ underfoot.
latest report
jzBun wrote:
mugen,
Quote:

I was in your position a couple of years ago but grasped the nettle and went from 74 to 90 in one fell swoop. Also upped the length from mid 170's to mid 180's. Should have done it years before!

No real discernible difference on piste but massive difference off-piste. If you are going to be spending more time off the groomed then get 90mm+ underfoot.

how do you find performance on icy pistes, better, worse or much the same.
ski holidays
For the last 3 years (8 weeks skiing) I've been mainly off-piste so not really experienced properly icy conditions but the skis have coped with everything thrown at them. Even moguls are ok, given the extra length/width.

I'm 6'2" and 85kg by the way.
snow report
jzBun wrote:
For the last 3 years (8 weeks skiing) I've been mainly off-piste so not really experienced properly icy conditions but the skis have coped with everything thrown at them. Even moguls are ok, given the extra length/width.

I'm 6'2" and 85kg by the way.

well might be finding out sooner than expected, had a couple of beers last night and currently bidding on some skis.. ebay and beer dont work...
snow report
What are you bidding on?
snow conditions
jzBun wrote:
What are you bidding on?

i was bidding in scott neo's thankfully someone outbid me as i didn't really want them when i was sober.

currently looking at some more but not in a massive hurry..
latest report
 brian
brian
Just done 4 days, 95% off piste, very variable snow on my new voelkl katanas. Superb. I could've skied it on my old stormriders, but at the cost of super knackered legs. New fat rockers make things easy.

Hurrah for blind internet purchases! wink
ski holidays
brian wrote:
Hurrah for blind internet purchases! wink

Indeed! Very Happy
ski holidays
colinstone wrote:
snoway, - did you try/consider the Flites?? and did you choose the 90. And without being too cheeky how tall/what weight are you?
Tks.

I did look at the flites but I thought with more flex I would inevitably lose edge performance especially on ice and hardpack. I wanted to be able to use them for touring but it would only be day tours so I didn't want to compromise to much piste performance for a little weight saving. Perhaps if I was doing multi-day tours I'd opt for a lighter ski but again not sure if the flite would really be my choice anyway.

I have them fitted with Marker f10 tour bindings and they are great and yes I wen't for the 90mm as I think its the best all-rounder for me.

I am 5'10 and 175lbs. I do like to ski quite aggressively and I also thought the metal insert would deal better with ski chatter.

Cheers
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy