Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off Piste rules in Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I understand that it may be against the law to ski off piste in some parts of Italy without some avalanche search kit, helmets and telephone. I also found this on the Sella Neava website:

"If you want to practice alpine ski or free riding, the best way is to hire a guide. If you want to do without, you need to know the territory and the descends very well. Prior your hike, you must contact Promotur, the company that manages the Sella Nevea ski runs, to check the snow conditions and the avalanches risk. You also must inform the Sella Nevea alpine rescue Guardia di Finanza, telling them where you are going and for how many days. It is advisable to bring the equipment to allow being rescued in case of avalanche hit."

Is this law or advice ?
Would you be liable for prosecution/fines and invalidate your insurance ?
Does Italy differentiate between powder skiing between pistes and backcountry ?
On some piste maps itinerarys are marked - are these included in any rules ?

The wisdom of skiing with/without a guide and kit is not questioned just what exactly are the rules ?
(this subject may have been covered before but I couldn't find it )
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As I understand it you are legally required to carry avy equipment .....

http://www.onthesnow.com/news/a/6430/italy-passes-avalanche-law-for-off-piste-skiers-heavy-fines

http://www.natives.co.uk/do/ecco.py/view_item?listid=9&listcatid=39&listitemid=10446

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0900-italy-make-avalanche-safety-gear-mandatory/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BertieG, I also read somewhere (but darned if I can find it now) that in some areas in Italy carrying the appropriate gear is law. Very difficult to police but not a bad idea eh?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
quote]
As I understand it you are legally required to carry avy equipment .....

[/quote]
These articles refer to the Piedmont region and imply that you may not ski a foot off the marked runs which is pretty draconian.

Is anyone able to offer a bit more clarity ?

As to wether it's a good idea is the subject of another thread !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My undestanding was this was only law in the Piedmont region
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Does that same website mention anything about renting avy gear? It seems to me to be a wise investment in avy gear if one is to ski off-piste. And even wiser still to learn how to use it.

My two home mtns here in WA have great avy education centers. Crystal has what is known as Beacon Basin. Ski Patrol buries 17 beacons. There is an electronic kiosk system that can activate one beacon or multiple beacons. They even have probes if you don't have your own. You can then go out with your beacon and practice search techniques. When you hit the beacon with the probe, it sets off a sound at the Electronic kiosk. Tells you how long it took to find the beacon too.

At Alpental an hour East of Seattle, they have a BC gate that will flash a light to indicate all those wearing a beacon. You can just go to the ski patrol hut as well, ask if any patrollers would like to go out with you, and if they have a patroller, or two not busy, they are more than happy to take you out and show you the terrain, and give you lots of info on routes, snow conditions, etc. All free of charge. It's almost like having your own private guide, if even only for one run.

I would think that the Euro resorts would offer similar programs, given the prominence these past few years in off-piste skiing and the avalanche deaths.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BertieG, sounds pretty sensible to me - a good way to reduce public expenditure perhaps?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

and if they have a patroller, or two not busy, they are more than happy to take you out and show you the terrain

I want that job!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy