Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon BBR

Poster: A snowHead
I'd add positive experiences too. My partner and I skiied on them in the three valleys for a week, mixture of on and off piste, a full range of conditions. Would say, felt really stable though was expecting that; hadn't expected that would also feel really agile on piste. Guess we're adventurous intermediates going on advanced. The skis just felt, flattering. Partner is thinking of buying a pair...

I would too, but for fear of having matching skis.....surely the ultimate sin! Gag reflex!

Almost forgot to make my main point, not sure whether these are any better than other all mountain skis, they might be no better and no worse, but that misses the point. The distinctive shape makes for effective product differentiation; they look like they must have some magic sauce, so perhaps that gives the consumer the confidence to believe they will help, and perhaps that's all that's needed to help skiers at our level feel confident and calm. Two states of mind which always seem to help keep me upright.... Virtuous circle?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 8-02-12 13:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've now skied mine for 3 weeks and more more I use them, the more I like them. I've also looked at them at speed and they do flap but don't really notice it in the feel - perhaps they only flap when you look at them rolling eyes

Have a friend who also has a pair and he's really into them as well.

Clearly horses for courses but at least 2 very happy customers.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think it's important to note there are very few really bad skis these days......just bad matches where skiers do not match skis e.g. a hard core charger will hate a BBR but at the same time a BBR skier will hate a big mountain gun.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another BBR sponsored link wink

http://youtube.com/v/Rbi73DWbR8k&feature=g-all-u
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stewart woodward, this is me on Icelantic Shamans. Twice the stretch of water Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/E6FPpR0KOhQ&feature=plcp
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dot. wrote:
stewart woodward, this is me on Icelantic Shamans. Twice the stretch of water Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/E6FPpR0KOhQ&feature=plcp

Dot If you fancy giving us the same deal as Salomon we can promote your skis next year wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stewart woodward wrote:

I was there and watched it - plus a load of telemarkers going across.

Should have had ago on my Lords.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
colinstone, thanks for bumping. Yep, that vid confirms that you really do have to be a back-seat lazy dad skier to make them work Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Claire Collins, Snow & Rock

...possibly the dullest person in world skiing or the biggest corporate shill (after Phil Smith wink )

http://www.metrosnow.co.uk/ski_news__events/article_display?article_id=751
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stewart woodward wrote:
Not tried the BBR's myself but here is a review by a couple of people who generally know what they are talking about http://www.snoworks.co.uk/blog/?p=4687

They seem to work in most conditions Puzzled

Cringed so much watching this. "I'm an ex-racer and these are just like race skis. I like race ski qualities and this has them." "I wanted four different types of ski, so I decided that the BBR was perfect".

I'd love anyone to try skiing a proper race ski and then these, at any level of performance. I make no pretence of how much I hated the BBR though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If Victor Kayam did BBR's Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stewart woodward wrote:

Dot If you fancy giving us the same deal as Salomon we can promote your skis next year wink

Any qualified instructor can get a pro deal through us or through our distributors. Thanks for the offer of promoting us but for now we're happy with the performance reviews we get from all level of skiers and customers.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Development idea for the Salomon team. If a surfboard was the inspiration for the BBRs and it’s a single piece of equipment for riding on water; just think what these might stimulate?!?

I await the BBR MKII with bated breath Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flowa, doh!!! I don't think I have shown you this before:

http://youtube.com/v/QbdkPH88yZI

It's not the Salomon BBR product that annoys me. Its the marketing that pisses me off.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No, you hadn't but I think it just proves the point. Clearly he did the maths: two things that ride on water will ride on snow.
(Such a great loss Sad )

On the other hand: one thing that rides on water, being split into two to ride on snow .... well, the result speaks for itself rolling eyes
http://www.snoworks.co.uk/blog/?p=4687 - the flapping!!!!!! It's nuts. Totally agree with you about the marketing too. Oi vay!

Oh, and take them back to water and, well Laughing
stewart woodward wrote:

snow report
Elston, I was about to post that video! haha

That Salomon BBR video is so cringe it's really not that impressive.
snow report
DannyB01, exactly - welcome to the fold. The sad thing is that they're doing it to sell the product when if the product was any good - they'd sell themselves.
latest report
Heart is taking over from head and I really fancy a pair of BBR 8.9 from ekosport and their current great price of about 200 quid including bindings.

Only concern is if the 186 length is too long for me. I'm 175 tall and between 165 and 175 pounds (blame Xmas). Very strong and tend to use strength rather than the technique. Been skiing 30 years as a typical holiday skier and quite happily skied on 200 straight skis for many years although current now rather dated skis are 175 ish Salomon versa 10 pilots.
latest report
Good bump!
Buy them, you'll love them. If the unthinkable happens and you don't, then flog them on ebay for pretty much what you paid for them.
ski holidays
@Posidrive,

My wife has BBRs and loves them. She's a pretty decent holiday skier (very competent on all pistes, will dabble in the off-piste if I'm sensible about where I take her). She actually went down to a 150 something from 160 in her previous skis she's 5'5 and normal weight (I wouldn't presume to announce her exact weight on the interweb).
186 sounds too long for you. I'm quite sure you would manage to ski on them - they are friendly to use and as you say you've skied longer - but I suspect about 175 would be optimal
latest report
176 does seem to long, I'm 184 tall, 13 stone and bought the 8.9 in 176 which is great fun - I love them. Apparently it's too short for me but I really haven't noticed.
snow conditions
It appears I could get BBR 10 with bindings (2013 version) in 177 length for not much more. Perhps this might be a better option?
ski holidays
Went ahead and bought the 8.9s. Just couldn't resist £187 including bindings and the blue should provide a good contrast to my 1990s purple and yellow Nevica fleece top Smile. Hopefully the extra length will give a bit more stability on piste as well as a bit more float if lucky enough to find some powder next month.

I did um and ah a bit over the length but decided to go for it when I found out that my first set of carving skis were longer and could get a padded atomic double ski bag for £28 from SnowInn so will take my current Verse's for moguls as well. I think the BBRs would be be a bit awkward for Tunnel in Alps D'Huez if its not in good condition Toofy Grin
latest report
Full marks to EkoSport for delivery. Ordered last Monday evening, arrived this morning. Could possibly have been quicker but had delivered to my work place which was closed over the weekend. Smile
snow report
Just back fron a week in Alpe D'Huez and they were an absolute hoot. 186 was not too long at all. Much easier to pilot than my old Verse 10 Pilots and also far less chattery.

Groomed Piste: Completely stable at up to 90-100 kph and so easy to turn it was untrue.
Hard Pack/Ice: S!£te. Probably my dubious technique more than the skis.
Crud. Sliced through it.
Slush. Sliced through it.
Moguls. Really good fun with no problems at all, although Tunnel would probably have put me in my place but it was closed Smile
Powder. Wasn't any Sad
ski holidays
I saw some BBRs in a skip the other day.
ski holidays
@Posidrive, I had a lot of fun with BBRs, I really don't care what others think of them. When a ski makes you want to laugh out loud or sing it has to be a good thing. Doesn't it?
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
I saw some BBRs in a skip the other day.

Probably some fat bloke snapped them Smile

Can't be that bad. One of our group was an ex member of the Austrian National Ski team and fancied giving them a go
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This may be an unfair comparison, but I alternated between these skis all week 7-14 march at Tignes.Comparing 176 BBRs 8.9 to 186 line sick day 110: I have 16 weeks under my belt and am a firm level 8 skier.
The bbrs are better on piste, much easier to hold a line on the edges whereas the lines want to smear a bit at the start and finish of each turn. When the pistes got firmer later in the week, the lines were actually a struggle, but that is probably more a function of my poor technique. When doing short turns the bbrs can be a bit violent on release, the lines are much easier to handle here and seem to revel in my hamfistedness.
Off piste in hard crud the bbrs are once again better as they grip easier.
The lines are definitely a more playful ski, popping off anything you fancy. There was no soft and fluffy stuff to play in this week, but the bbrs were fine last time out in Austria only requiring a very small amount of effort to keep them afloat during straight bits, when I got the technique right they seemed to turn themselves whilst leaping out of each turn like a demented bambi. I'm sure the lines would be better though I have nothing to base this on.
So which skis am I to get rid of? Well I bought the lines because I was told the bbrs are too short for me at 184cms high so they should go, but they are a complete hoot and I really think have helped me to progress quite quickly, if they were 186 long I would not have bought the lines, but I'm glad I did, I was laughing like a loonie every time I took them out! So, does anyone want to swap a pair of 186 bbrs for my 176s? Then I'd have 2 pairs of skis that are just a whole bundle of fun just about anywhere on the mountain!
Who needs a one ski quiver! snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy