Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chateau Lake Louise - eating there costs?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, notice the name, hence the question! We're treating ourselves to the Chateau at Lake Louise but its room only. Could anyone estimate, without splashing out, how much food is likely to cost there for a week with 2 adults and one hardly eats 7 year old?

Also anyone know if /where you can pre-book lift passes?
Thanks. snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
onlyhereforthepancakes, I'm sure the hotel website will have all the menus and all of the prices. It's lovely, but there's not really any alternative for eating or drinking. If you're off skiing in the morning you could have breakfast at the bottom of the pistes. Very good a few years ago, and I suspect a lot cheaper than the CHateau. And welcome to snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Eat in the "Poppy" restaurant within the chateau - it's just normal non-pretentious food at affordable prices. E.g., burger & chips type fayre. You could of course get a tax in to town for something cheaper but you have to offset the taxi of course.

I'd definitely recommend breakfast on the hill rather than chateau prices.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
onlyhereforthepancakes, there are also 3 or 4 places to eat down the hill from the Chateau, Post hotel, lake louise inn (3 restaurants - one a pizza place- and one a pub with burgers/wings/etc- and one smart place - unless it has changed) Deer lodge on the way down, and what certainly was a good family/very slightly ethnic restaurant (The Mountain Restaurant) by the petrol station just where the road from the Chateau crosses the Transcanada before going back up hill to the hill itself - where kids are welcome. And the Railway Station Restaurant is good as a fine dining alternative to the Chateau (my eldest - now 14 - loved it when he was 5,6,7 and 8- but he has always loved steak).

I never managed to find anyway of getting passes cheaper than on the hill or in the hotels. Very different from the US where deals abound.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In addition to the ones stoatsbrother mentions - there's the "outback" pub which is hidden at the back of the Post hotel by the ice-rink. Fabulous menu for a fraction of the price of the hotel itself! Also, next door to the post hotel & opposite lake louise inn is the youth hostel which is great value, don't be put off by the fact it's a youth hostel - this isn't 36 bunks in a smelly dorm - it's really rather swish! There also used to be a diner above the art gallery/book shop place in the town square.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd be really nervous of a "room only" deal. When I lived in Barbados the supermarkets along the south coast were always full of disconsolate British package tourists appalled at the price of feeding themselves even from supermarket shelves, let alone the restaurants.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, You hardly ever get anything but "room only" in the USA or Canada.

The concept of paying for accommodation and food as a package seems alien to them.

But eating wasn't expensive when I went there about 7-8 years ago.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Having just checked the Chateau Lake Louise website, it is possible to get a three course table d'hote meal at the hotel (in the Fairview Dining room) for $52 - about £33, and that will not be the cheapest in the area.

http://www.fairmont.com/lakelouise/GuestServices/Restaurants/FairviewDiningRoom.htm

Some of the other dining rooms in the hotel will also be cheaper, particularly if you don't want three courses.

As said by others, breakfast is definitely better taken at the foot of the slopes. Even the "posh" part of the lodge there is cheaper than the hotel, and better.

Prices are definitely higher now than I remember, but a lot of that is because the exchange rate isn't as good Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you get a chance go to the bakery in the village of lake louise. They do sandwiches, cookies, pizza slices, pies etc and drinks. We stopped there in the summer, got a couple of prezzels covered in tomato and cheese, and a cottage pie. There is a small supermarket for fruit and drinks, cereal bars and chocolate. At the hotel there is a small cafe that you can buy a take out breakfast and sandwiches, drinks, fruit I don't know what the opening times are.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The 'lounge' in front of the Lake in the chateau we always find quite good value, around $15 a head fora fab setting. Kids have a kids menu which is pretty good value.

Also recommend Bill Peyto's cafe which is the cafe in the youth hostel.

The breakfast buffet on the hill is reasonable.

Like Deer Lodge too, again kids eat cheap.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy