Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New skis for the 2011 season

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

First post on here, hoping you can answer me a couple of questions on a new ski for this season. Since 2007 I've been on 177cm (I think) K2 Apache Recons, which kept having a binding fault, and as a result I've been issued with a refund - top marks to K2. Anyway, I'm 20, Around 6'2" and 95kg and relatively fit. Been skiing once or twice a year, every year since I was 4 or 5. I can deal with almost anything groomed, and I'm looking to stretch out and start skiing some more interesting ungroomed runs as in the last two years I've felt relatively unchallenged by the slopes I've skied and began to venture into heavy moguls and some deep power in Banff this year. E.g. If two runs start and end at the same place one is groomed and the other not, I'll always take the ungroomed now.

I did really like the Apache Recons, however a chance to "upgrade" for nothing has come around and I need a pair of skis before Christmas comes around (off for a week with an instructor to get a crash course in off pisting. That said I will still be doing pisted runs as I like my speed Smile I can't remember what the Recons were percentage wise groomed/ungroomed, but I guess I'm looking for an all mountain ski that does 60/40 or 50/50. I've seen the Volkl Kendos and they look quite a promising ski for my requirements. Does anyone have any other skis I should look at? Or any reason I should stay away from the Kendos?

Any help would be fantastic,

Thanks in advance,

Chris
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads Chrisssyg, snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hi chris... welcome to snowheads!!!

sounds like you could do with reading my thread here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=66530

i'm getting rid of my 177cm apache xplorers to upgrade to something wider and longer.

fwiw, it sounds like we're similar build and on similar skis with the same level of skill/confidence on piste. i've been dabbling more and more into skiing as much off piste as possible in the last couple of seasons, hence the reason i'm looking for something like you're after and also some marker duke/baron bindings so as i can also go a wee bit further off the beaten path (not full flung touring though).

Where are you going at Christmas? If it's a decent european resort, then you may be wise to hold on and purchase something out there - more choice, chance to demo a few skis before buying (should get your hire cost back against the cost of the skis). You can also take advantage of some suggestions from your instructor to match a ski to your ability/potential etc.

I've been skiing the Xplorer (84mm underfoot) as well as other skis and feel that i could do with more width and definitely at least 10cm longer.

Good luck.

ps. there's a few threads in this section all about wider off piste skis which are worth a read.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chrisssyg, I had Recons for about 4 seasons and went through a similar though process for my upgrade. I went for Scott Missions 178, and love them. I went from 167 Recons up to the Missions, and the extra length gave a whole new world of stability, both on and off piste. I've read very good things about the Kendos and would certainly be considering them if I was in the market, but there are upgraded Missions out this season as well.

Further reading: http://www.welove2ski.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=b01&featureid=842&desc=Next%20season's%20skis%20-%20now&section=20
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the welcome all! Smile

Shoogly - it does indeed sound like we're at a similar level. I'm off to either Flaine or Chamonix, not quite decided yet. Good point with the rental side of things! I did have a quick search (couldn't see the search button - doh!) through before I posted up, but didn't come across your thread. Now that you've raised the point I'll probably hold off until then. Although it would be good to have an idea of what skis to have a look for when I'm out there. So if anyone has a couple they could recommend, I ought to be able to come up with a reasonably good choice of skis to rent/test when I'm out there.

Dr John - Thanks for the link, I'll have a good read of that now. I've read some of those reviews and they certainly sound good. I'll have a look at the missions now!

So, to check out so far are the Kendos, and the Missions. If anyone else has ideas of ones to look up, please post up!

Thanks for the replies! Been very helpful already!

Chris
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Happy new year all! I've still not bought any skis, but will be buying them in the next two days before the VAT increase. I've been doing a lot of research and am now most likely to be buying the Salomon Lords in a 177 length with Salomon Z10 bindings. Has anyone got any reasons to stay away from this set up? Sort of dismissing the Missions, simply as they're more expensive and everyone has been waxing lyrical about the Lords this season.

Any views from you guys on the Kendos now they've been out for a while?

What would you lot buy!

Thanks in advance and sorry to bring up an old thread!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chrisssyg, Based on everything you've told us (hight, weight, ability, aggression, on/off piste %) I would go longer - 182+.

The more you venture off-piste, the more you'll want to stay off-piste, the more you'll regret not going longer.

I had the same decision to make a couple of years ago and went for some 182 Scott Punishers. I'm 6'2, 85kg and now wish I'd gone 5 - 8cm longer (although the Punishers ski shorter being twins).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chrisssyg, Also for the bindings I'd go for the 12's. I'm presuming you'll set them at between 7-9. If so having the 10's will mean the setting will be at the upper limit of the binding range. Ideally you want to be at the mid point of the range (4 - 12).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chrisssyg, I am 5 8 and 75kg and going for Lord 177, so I agree that you should be going longer.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well i've just been up to Ellis Brigham and Snow and Rock in London and had a spanner thrown in the works. Both shops said for my weight and ability the Lord is too soft and that I should really be looking at the Salomon Sentinel, or the Mantra. I understand that the sentinel is slightly softer and more fun, whereas the mantra is stiffer but (and I know this shouldn't be taken into consideration) look a hell of a lot nicer. The mantra is also £15 cheaper.

Does anyone have any experience with both, and could give me some feedback on them?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I bought the Mantra, tried them out in Beaver Creek for a couple of weeks recently, and they are incredible skis!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think you will get quite a few votes for the mantra! I tried the lords and although I'm a lot lighter than you, I wasn't impressed, over rated ski imo!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah, there's a lot of stuff about them not being great for lighter people, but I'm 6 7 and 110kg, so they're perfect for me!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lake - was that the new style 2010/2011 season ones? What's your build and skiing ability like? Would help me make a decision.

Gareth - had both shops saying the same thing to me today, which has totally put me off them despite the great reviews.

Just weighed myself, I'm just above the 100kg mark so I'd assume my weight would make allow me to ski both the Sentinel and the Mantra, and get them to flex in corners.

Has anyone had any experience with the Sentinel? Some more feedback on these regarding my needs would be fantastic!

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts guys,

Chris
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Errr, well I'm a rower! hahaa
Skiing ability, I've skiied 30 weeks, maybe like a 9 or 10 on the skiing scale?
And yes, the 2010/2011 ones, if you look on YouTube there are loads of great reviews!
latest report
Ex- Rower myself mate Smile You'll be a bit fitter than I am then NehNeh

I've checked out the YouTube videos, still near impossible deciding!

Thanks though bud!
latest report
I have bought a pair of Kendos 177 bloody marvellous! Went back to the Bandit B2's to compare, the difference was so much that I skied right back to the locker to get the Kendo's! and I am a snowboarder first, skier second!
latest report
I've just got back from spending my £500..

Here's what I bought:

Can't wait to get on them and have a ski! Bought the 184's, hope I haven't gone too long!
latest report
Chrisssyg, Big mistake....

...I wouldn't put a melon in a fruit bowl with apples.

(Expect further witty comments on choice of hob, pans, mats etc)
snow report
is that a copy of "big jugs monthly" under the skis?
snow report
I've moved the melon, thanks for the advice! NehNeh

Lol at big jugs monthly.
snow conditions
The boy done good.

I like brown.
ski holidays
I'm not a massive fan of the design/colour to be honest, but at the end of the day, it's not worth getting a ski that suits you less despite it looking far nicer. Love the design on the Mantra this year, but I think I made the right choice going for these.
latest report
£500 does seem a lot for a bowl of fruit . . . .
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy