Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Breaking in Ski Boots

Poster: A snowHead
Should one break in ski-boots by wearing them, around the house say, or save the wearing of them for actually skiing (e.g. indoor slopes, or away on real ones)?

I've just bought some boots this morning from Solutions4Feet, properly fitted of course, and Colin suggested that the liners themselves may need to be subject to some use (he suggested days, rather than hours) on piste to properly compress and shape to my feet and the shells. Is simply wearing boots any aid in this, or should I just wait until I am once again on snow?

Many thanks Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DaKid, wear them in advance if you can. Helps settle the liners down to the shape of your feet.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, +1. Well worth clomping round the house in them a bit, providing your floors don't mind.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had some new boots fitted recently and stupidly ignored the advice of wearing them in for 10 hours around the house, standing in skiing position whilst watching tv etc. This was to my cost as when I went skiing at xmas a few weeks ago the first morning I was in agony, could not feel my toes etc. This was for 2 days (approx.10 hours!)

I know as a teacher i dont ask students to do pointless things, I ask because they will help them, so why did I think I could get away with it I dont know, but glad to report boots are very comfy now!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is absolute rubbish. How many pairs of boots do you think we sell and then tell our clients to stay in at home with them for 10 hours before skiing???? Hilarious. Basically what is happening here is that you are being told to do so to see if there are any problems before you go away on your holidays, so as boots can be returned new and resold if you don't like them. Never heard such rubbish, sorry. Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I don't believe Colin (at Solutions4Feet) mentioned at all about wearing them at home. He simply said that it would take a few days' skiing to get the liners to compress fully to give my feet that tiny bit more room.

I was simply curious whether I could speed this up by wearing them at home Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was advised to wear mine around the home in an attempt to see if there were any tight spots or misfitting bits which could be corrected by the shop before I went. I would think it would do no harm if you were to do so for the same reason. After all if they are not comfy for a few hours worn around the house there is a good chance that they won't be on piste I would guess. Though of course you don't walk in the same position that you would ski in.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DaKid, No more than the moulding process, it will just make them feel a bit more like old friends. IMO this kind of idea doesn't work, just gives people doubts, as I said, we sell a couple of pairs of boots on the odd occasion, all of which are skied within 24hrs often straight onto the hill, no issues, occasional modifications, no returns. It's a lazy bootfitter that tells you it's needed, or one that has been trained and never questioned or thought about what they might actually be doing.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, Fair enough, sounds like the perfect reason why you should have this done in resort.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER, it's not rubbish for me. I started being able to wear my new liners only for an hour at a time - fat lot of good that would have been on a week's holiday. After some hours of clomping round at home I could wear them for longer. Why is it rubbish? The combination of new, tightly fitted boots plus extreme cold temperatures (like before Christmas) and a wish to be able to ski all day sounds like a very poor equation to me.

I have the luxury of being able to pick and choose when I ski - and not needing to "ski all day". I couldn't have worn my Zipfits happily for a whole day skiing until doing several half days - on top of wearing them, moving around, at home. They're great now - but I have no doubt that it would have been uncomfortable to wear them for a whole day for the first time. Several (experienced) SHs have reported considerable pain.

Quote:

you don't walk in the same position that you would ski in.

I did my best, and very odd it looks too. Good for the quads, though. wink

The "get it done in resort" argument is all very well BUT not all resorts have super boot fitters, there's a language problem sometimes and who wants to spend hours on a scarce holiday week, faffing with boots?

My previous boots were bought and fitted in resort, by an experienced (and very nice) local guy who ran the local ski hire shop. CEM fitted me into shells a whole size smaller.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, Well i guess you are very very special then or perhaps this is what is needed when one buys one boots away from their skiing destination, as I say, we've sold a few boots, put people straight on the snow with almost no problems at all, that said, I guess we're all special in our own way so I don't doubt it may be of help to someone, somewhere, i've just yet to have met anyone like that in the last few years and have never had to suggest this to anyone. I guess what you do at home in your ski boots is upto you. Personally I put mine on when taking a dump. Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Come in, CEM, your time is up. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i find that I just don't quite have enough ankle flex... and most of the time hit all three pedals at once! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
flangesax, You need to start driving an automatic
snow report
I have been wearing my new boots around the house for two days. Have put floor-protector pads on the bases and can almost skate around the house in them! It's doing the trick, they are becoming so warm and toasty and comfy, am grudging taking them off. Only do so when OH picks up the phone and threatens a call to the psychiatric hospital.
BTW after two pairs of badly-fitting boots have bought a pair of salomon soft boots. I know soft boots are out of fashion but they are really good for people with feet like flippers plus they're very light....
snow report
For breaking I really recommend that you go with telemark boots, the older 75mm version. You can get some wicked spins off the toe piece.

AT boots can be OK, especially something like the new TLT5 which is probably even better than the tele boots.

I guess it's all personal preference.

Breaking in classic overlap ski boots is a skill that I admire but I suggest it's not going to be that elegant.

Sorry, I didn't read the rest of the the thread.
snow conditions
Not sure why I am getting poo-poo here, the only thing wearing a boot around the house will do is get your feet used to being in a boot being as you have been wearing street shoes all year, the liners are going to settle over a few days skiing and get better as you ski, it takes the motion of skiing , the vibrations, the flexing the pressures exerted during the sport to compact the liner

But being as SMALLZOOKEEPER is such an authority on the subject then I should bow down to his superior knowledge, after all what do I know I don't work in a resort rolling eyes

Mind you I did hear of a couple who had to go to the door for a visited wearing nothing more than a dressing gown and ski boots, each to their own wink [/b]
latest report
I too assumed there was a roll of lino and a ghetto blaster involved in this thread.
ski holidays
CEM, SMALLZOOKEEPER, Footbeds at dawn! If you guys settle this with a good old fashioned punch up, will you both be doing it from a kneeling position? Just askin'.
snow conditions
Looks to me like CEM and SMALLZOOKEEPER are saying the same thing. wearing boots in advance will help the settling in process or identify major issues, but if the boots are well fitted in the first place will help with niggles and adjustments only.

However saying that having only recently have CEM supply and fit a new set of boots I'll be on the phone from resort if...

A. My skiing isn't 50% better than last time.
B. My boots are like racing slippers (as in perfect comfort and perfect control interface).
C. The design and my new skiing prowess affords me better results in the after ski bar!!!!

Of course I won't be holding anyone to these points legally but.... Twisted Evil
latest report
fatbob wrote:
I too assumed there was a roll of lino and a ghetto blaster involved in this thread.

QFT.
ski holidays
Oh, I geddit...

snow report
Hmmm, so what is the point here? We sell boots, no one wears them at home before skiing them? So I am to now suggest all our clients do wear them around the hotel for a couple of days while on holiday?
Simple thing is, we don't ask our clients to do this, wear them in at home that is, It is written on most of them, Ski Boots, try skiing in them to see how they feel. IMO in my experience of working "In Resort" is this is not needed.

Back to you Colin, I guess as said before, i think working both in the UK and resort has helped me grasp a rounded approach to my job, however my mind is perhaps as dark as it's always been.
I love dispelling myths mate, it's my approach to things, question things, find out how and why they work, rather than just repeating others, verbatim.

Simple stuff like this is worth a discussion, to find out what is to be achieved, my point here is, never said it, never expected anyone to do it, never had a problem. If Zipfit is the key in point here, i'll agree, they can take a while to break in, as i say to all my clients where Zipfit is concerned, "Ten minutes in them is only half as good as Twenty."
Another stolen quote for somebody there to use. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
point 1. I DID NOT SAY WEAR BOOTS AROUND THE HOUSE, what i have said above stands, wearing them prior top skiing will only get your foot used to the environment of a ski boot as you have been wearing soft shoes all year, it does nothing to break them in!!!

point 2. YOU SEEM TO THINK I REPEAT EVERYTHING YOU SAY, again not sure where you get this from, there are no patents or copyrights on the words used to talk about ski boot fitting, maybe just maybe YOU are repeating me, or prehaps it is just that we are both speaking the same language, there are only so many ways to describe some things....

on the zip fit front wearing them around the house won't do much for them either, they need the heat and motions of skiing for the fluid dynamics of the OM fit compound to start to come into effect , sure the more you wear them the better they get...but wearing them skiing is the key

is all not well in paradise? I only ask as you seem to want to fight about everything anyone says right now rolling eyes
latest report
CEM, All's great here mate, no problems, however not sure where you've picked your tone up from, did I say you did say you should wear your boots around the house? No, so chill. I did say and as do many, that a year in resort is worth 4 in the town. It's just the way it is. And no, I don't think you repeat everything I say, "think" and "everything" are subjective.
Quote:

is all not well in paradise? I only ask as you seem to want to fight about everything anyone says right now

Rally the troops, Laughing
snow report
Seems a bit of a silly argument to me, as with anything, trying them out for as long as possible is going to give you the opportunity to make any tweaks and get them right; or find anything that rubs or pinches. If you're in resort you'd do that on the slopes, if you're in the UK why not just wear them round the house?

It's not going to be as good as testing them ski-ing but apart from going to an indoor slope what are you supposed to do? Leave them in the bag until you go on holiday?

I don't think anyone is going to suggest buying a set of boots in resort and wearing them round the hotel rather than ski-ing them.
snow conditions
ish303, and aren't you meant to also stand on the sofa in all your gear while Ski Sunday is on "doing a Graham Bell"?

Anyway, not trying to take sides but
Quote:

I did say and as do many, that a year in resort is worth 4 in the town.

That has all the hallmarks of pure bolleaux. If I know ski resorts (and I do) for "many" you can safely read "one" and it just gets repeated ad nauseum by others justifying their alleged alpine superiority. As far as I know people arrive in the alps with the same feet they left the UK with. Or am I wrong again?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller wrote:
[As far as I know people arrive in the alps with the same feet they left the UK with. Or am I wrong again?

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Damn........i didn't know pineapples don't grow on trees Skullie
snow conditions
Dot. wrote:
Damn........i didn't know pineapples don't grow on trees Skullie

Yeah yeah, and spaghetti doesn't grow on trees either!!! go on pull the other one..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy