Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weekend (by rail?) from Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
Me and a mate have flights booked to Geneva landing early fri 18th March, rtn late Monday 21st. We’re flexible as to where we ski and stay, but looking for the obvious, quick transfers and good snow.
Any suggestions welcome, but I’d be particularly interested to hear from anyone who knows resorts that you can get to by train, even if that might be 2/3 hours, as I like the idea of relying on Swiss railways which is going to be a better guarantee of knowing our arrival time rather than having to possibly wait around for the next transfer bus and then the variable road conditions.
All thoughts much appreciated (plus any accommodation recommendations), thanks

Andy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Andy,

Bit confusing buddy. You say you are looking for quick transfers but then say you are happy to travel up to 3 hours... which is it?

Also, what do you mean by good snow... do you mean you want a high resort? Are you going to be skiing on or off piste?

What sort of accommodation are you looking for?

I wouldn't worry about the bus v train tbh. They keep the roads clear and it's not in their interests to keep people hanging around any longer than necessary. Sticking to places accessible by train will be restrictive, and indeed many will need a taxi or bus for the final leg of the transfer.

Sorry, a lot more info needed..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Layne,
thanks for replying;
All good points, I'll expand a bit - the ideal is a quick straightforward bus trip which (according to all that I've read) would be the fastest way to get anywhere decent. But then my experience of anything other than private transfers is that you can end up waiting around for 10mins here, 10mins there and it all adds up, so a scheduled train may even be just as quick in the end. But your last comment is reassuring regarding bus, so thanks for that.
But we really are quite flexible, with no preferred resorts or accommodation. As long as I've got a clean safe bed then I'm happy. We'd be prepared to pay extra for what you get in a chalet, I don't mind paying for anything if it's good value.
I've just heard (third hand admittedly) that Morzine isn't great snow at the moment, so this strengthens the argument for leaving the decision late and go where the best snow is.
We're both pretty much good old once-a-year intermediates who will be on piste.
cheers
Andy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
AndyHants, yeah I appreciate bus transfers you are working to their timetable and there be multiple stops with unloading/loading time delays. I am just not sure that the train will be in improvement on that (despite the Swiss railways being ultra efficient). Certainly I don't recall people offering up as an option on here. I did a ski touring week several years ago and got a train from Geneva to Leysin. Just looking here http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en that is an hour and 40 minutes with one change. I am sure there are some connections into ski areas but whether they are quicker and more direct than a bus transfer I am just not sure.

Here is a list of resorts within one hour of Geneva http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Geneva.html although that one hour is probably private transfer but maybe take a look at access to a few of these to see what takes your fancy.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AndyHants, also may be worth looking at a) hiring a car and b) roping in or two more people to reduce the cost if doing that. May also help with accommodation costs.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd check out the 4 Vallees area (inc Verbiers). Train station right at the bottom of the mountain straight from Geneva.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AndyHants, Villars, Verbier, Crans Montana. All involve a short cab ride up to resort, but no train changes.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Andy, I agree with Layne about hiring a car. it's only four days and two of you can book the smallest car on offer. (They probably won't have it but you don't have to pay more for the bigger car they give you at the desk).

It does seem Morzine is not brilliant right now, But neither is anywhere else in the French/Swiss/Italian Alps as far as i can see. Agree about leaving it late but booking self catered accommodation privately is a bit more long winded than signing up with a TO on the high street.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy