Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Passes and 'Assurance Snowrisk' ( Portes du Soleil)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Apologies in advance if this has been answered elsewhere/ i' ve posted in the wrong part- but just looking for clarification on the Insurance aspect.

We're off to Morzine, with PdS passes on sunday. They've been pre-boguht- but we haven't got the "Assurance Snowrisk" yet. Im trying to decide whether i need to get it whop it on as an extra when we go to pick it up.

Husband and I have got entirely comprehensive travel insurance, specifically including winter sports, which covers the mundance ( but important!) like poor weather, loss of ski equipment, and the incredibly important like helicopter evacuation, MedEvac flights back home etc, but a couple of other skiers i have spoken to say i need to get the Lift Companys Assurance Snowrisk as well.

Their rationale is that, in the event you come a cropper, and the SkiPatrol have to get you off the mountain, if you don't have the A/S, then skipatrol (presumably concerned you can't foot the bill?) will get you down whatever way they deem best. With A/S they 'just call in a helicopter.'

One friend cited this happened to his relative, who stacked it and broke his back ( fortunately he is now recovered and back on piste a year later!) but he was helicoptered off- although they didn't believe the injury was potentially so severe at the time because he had the A/S. He tells me the Drs believed that had he come down with ski patrol, the injury could have shifted and caused much worse damage.

its an extreme scenario, and i'm not really a worrier, but i thought worth gathering opinions from those more experienced

Any thoughts? Shall i just put "hélicoptère s'il vous plait" in marker on my forehead in case? wink

ta!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

a couple of other skiers i have spoken to say i need to get the Lift Companys Assurance Snowrisk as well.

Have you asked them why, when you've got specific wintersports insurance which covers everything the pass insurance does?

Quote:

if you don't have the A/S, then skipatrol (presumably concerned you can't foot the bill?) will get you down whatever way they deem best. With A/S they 'just call in a helicopter

Total and utter b0llocks from start to finish. What sort of retarded muppet have you been talking to? Laughing

Buy the insurance if you like, but the way you're treated by secours pistes will be exactly the same regardless of who your insurer is. There's been a whole thread about this recently, but I can't be bothered to look for it, sorry.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Freckle, Your travel insurance will cover you but you may have to pay up front and claim back. The insurance you buy at the lift office will be shown on your pass so that removes the issue of up front payments if required. I have travel insurance and take out the insurance with the pass but thats just personal preference. The choppers land in designated areas on the slopes so unless you are fortunate to injure yourself at those locations you will be coming partway down in a sledge anyway.
As Lizzard, says it will make no difference to your medical care.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A specific example from the PDS. A fr-end of ours skied over his own ski pole (no smart!) And came down like a sack of spuds. Once the adrenaline had worn off he realised that it hurt quite a lot so we had a word with one of the first aid qualified pisteurs. His verdict - no puncturd lung but maybe a broken rib (turned out to just be a sprung rib cartilege). Where was our car? He asked. When we said Chatel (and the accident happened in Torgon) the first reaction was call a helicopter before any enquiry about insurance.

The answer is that if you have a decent policy you don't need the extra cover.

For those interested the conclusion of the story was that our mate didn't have any insurance so he told the pisteur that he would ski down. The pisteur was having none of it (quite rightly) as he said if he had a broken rib and fell agin there was a risk of a punctured lunk, liver, heart or something

End result? He allowed a download on the lift and I skied back to Chatel to collect the car (round trip Chatel-Torgon-Chatel c.80km!). He was on kitchen duty for the rest of the trip.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy