Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine or Avoriaz

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, new to this forum, sorry if this is in the wrong place. I am off to Morzine on Saturday for a week. I was there last year but didn't go over to Avoriaz. Is the skiing better in Avoriaz or Morzine? Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've only been to the PDS once and the snow quality and reliability tends to be better in Avoriaz due to the higher altitude. While there is plenty of skiing to be done in Morzine, not venturing over to Avoriaz is missing a trick if you ask me. A bit like having a pizza and only eating the cheese...sort of. Embarassed
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ooof. Brace yourself for a thousand answers. Oh and welcome to the forum.

I would say, if you feel you have exhausted Morzine/Les Gets, then yes it is worth the trip to Avoriaz. It is higher so slopes are generally in better condition. And if you are pretty good, there are some good blacks there. But, it can be thronged, especially in poor conditions, because everyone gravitates there. At this time of year though it shouldn't be too busy.

I believe to ski there you will need to get a full area pass for the Portes Du Soleil. So why not get the Mossettes lift and pop over into Switzerland for a couple of hours? Just to say you've done it, if for no other reason Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
G82, welcome to snowheads. snowHead The weather is forecast to be very warm and the snow cover, already rather thin, is going to suffer quite a bit. The skiing will probably be a fair bit better up at Avoriaz.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi G82,
I went to Morzine last year and skiied much of Morzine/Les Gets and Avoriaz. I like Morzine in terms of Apres Ski in the town area as opposed to Avoriaz where it looks all pre-built, and also easy to get between all 3 resorts. Les Gets is a lot smaller and might be a bit far to travel to Avoriaz on the lift system (in my opinion!) Ta!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys. I think from your comments Avoriaz is a must then. I was there in March last Year and it was very hot for two days, I was skiing in just a hoodie. Then the weather turned and the conditions on the last day and a half were absolutely outstanding.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ditto the getting high concept.

You have to consider that the PdS area is a lot bigger than just Avoriaz. Yes to get out there you go near Avoriaz but there is loads more great skiing over towards Les Crosets, Morgins, Chatel etc. Have a look at the piste map http://www.avoriaz.com/station-alpes-france/modules/plan-des-pistes/index.php?lg=uk

You can ski over via the Super Morzine cable car but be aware it is quite a trek before you get to anything interesting. You can also take the ski bus over to Ardent which gets you in to the great skiing faster.

I found Les Gets very sloppy snow and busy so would recommend saying away from that bit. Great runs in the Nylon area.

Have a great time
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
G82, Been to PdS twice. First time was based in Les Gets second based in Morzine. Snow was great, plenty of skiing over the whole of the area. Morzine ideal as a base IFAIAC, probably 20 mins using the SuperMorzine and then other chairs/trails to get to Avoriaz and on out to the ret of the area.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
halfhand,
Quote:

IFAIAC
? Do you mean AFAIAC? Os SFAIR?

PBMPWYA!

TTFN - Tim Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Snow was great, plenty of skiing over the whole of the area.

halfhand, I'm very glad for you, but the fact that the snow was great when you went doesn't really help the OP much - he's going on Saturday, the snow cover is already thin, no more is forecast and it's going to be warm - very, very, warm down in Morzine. Lovely and sunny, but for the next week I don't think there's much doubt that the skiing will be considerably better in Avoriaz.

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all your tips and suggestions, now all I have to do is get this final day of work out the way.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, But I didn't know what the snow was like before I went and was pleasantly surprised. Also Jake43,
Quote:

I found Les Gets very sloppy snow and busy so would recommend saying away from that bit.

so I decided to put my alternative comment regarding snow quality in Les Gets. No relevance in his post to the OP but I don't see you admonishing him Evil or Very Mad No need to get prissy about it eh? NehNeh
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
halfhand, I don't know when Jake43 was in Les Gets. I presumed that he was advising on the basis of a recent visit and that his advice was therefore relevant; benefit of the doubt. wink There have been some other recent reports of pretty poor conditions in Les Gets.

Of course it's not always poor - I've been there for several holidays, at different time, with great snow. But that's not a lot of help really, is it?

This month is tricky. There are good conditions to be found but also some very, very, poor ones. I've skied for the whole of the last ten Januarys, in this area, and have never seen January conditions as bad as SOME of those encountered this year.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Been here 5 times and love the place. I would get up to avoriaz if you could. Big wide open pistes and some great runs, especially higher up. If you were to just buy the avoriaz pass instead of the whole PDS one it would work out cheaper for you, and the bubble from moraine up to avoriaz is included in this I think.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Been skiing in the PDS every year for over 25 years. I was there last week and as elswhere in the Alps the snow has thinned due to the warm weather with some rain. Have a look at the mountainsides in Wengen on Eurosport, brown !! The best skiing at the moment ( having been over all of the PDS, except Les Gets ) is at Avoriaz. The Chavenette bowl ( the French side of the Wall ) and over to Plaine Dranse towards Chatel. The Swiss side is looking very sorry for itself, as I expect the Les Gets and Morzine side will be now.

I recommend jumping on the bus to Les Prodain and going up in the cable car to Avoriaz or take the 2 chairs to the top. The other option is to get the bus to Ardent and joining into the skiing to Plaine Dranse from there.

In fact unless the snow has improved before you go ( it hasn't since I left on Sat 8th Jan and is not due to in the immediate future ) you may have no choice but to ski where I suggest above.
ski holidays
pam w, you are right it was last year I was guessing from reading yours and other posts that this year it would be worse. Sorry if that confused anyone should have made it clearer.
ski holidays
pam w, Forget it, let's move on Smile . However, I still reserve the right to make irrelevant posts should I so choose, without fear of reprimand wink
latest report
G82, I'm a bit bemused. Everyone has been very gentle with you so far but what do you do in Morzine for a week if you don't go to Avoriaz?
latest report
gravystuffing, I assume ski Les Gets side of the valley... that said I think you would be bonkers to do so, especially if snow is iffy... what there is will likely be in much better shape "up top"...

G82, I loved Avoriaz for skiing, and preferred Morzine as a base... have a great trip! Oh and if you see my Aunt and Uncle say "Hi" from me Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

what do you do in Morzine for a week if you don't go to Avoriaz?

That's an odd question. There's loads and loads and loads of the PdS. I've spent two weeks there and only spent half a day in Avoriaz. Didn't seem that peculiar.
snow report
MoodyFFS, I assumed if G82, was actually skiing whilst in Morzine and not going on the Avoriaz side then Les Gets was probably the only option; but WHY?
snow conditions
pam w, what G82, said was

G82 wrote:
I was there last year but didn't go over to Avoriaz. Is the skiing better in Avoriaz or Morzine?

Wouldn't that kind of imply that G82, only skied on the Les Gets side? What actual skiing is there in Morzine. I haven't been for several years but at the time skiing in the street was prohibited AFAIR.
snow conditions
Well maybe G82 isn't such a super special skier as some SHs? The first time I spent a week in Les Gets, we were all in ski lessons in the mornings and just pottered round locally in the afternoons, going no further than the Morzine side. We had a lovely time. Not everyone is bent on covering every run in an area.
ski holidays
pam w,

sanman wrote:
Ooof. Brace yourself for a thousand answers. Oh and welcome to the forum.

I was just trying to spice the thread up a bit before it dies on its feet but now the girlie thought police have made their mark I doubt it will go the distance. wink

I agree a newbie in Les Gets might never get anywhere near Avoriaz but he/she said he/she was staying in Morzine!!!
snow report
Quote:

I agree a newbie in Les Gets might never get anywhere near Avoriaz but he/she said he/she was staying in Morzine!!!

well, just to get the last gasp...... instead of (as we did) starting in Les Gets and skiing that and the LG side of Morzine, you start in Morzine and ski up towards LG.
ski holidays
pam w, luv yer..... Skullie
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy