Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

oh no flizmoos!

Poster: A snowHead
Got an allocated on arrival deal to Austria but online booking is stating am going to flizmoos. This appears to be a nightmare as its really small and very limited for advanced skiers- I believe theres a post bus to falchau 3 days a week. Whats my other options for getting some decent skiing done as won't be able to hire a car. Any guiding available there?
Many thanks for any suggestions

Iain
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Filzmoos and Flachau?

mcleani, welcome to Snowheads. Maybe if it's not the sort of terrain which would keep you happy just cruising around you could have some top quality private lessons?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The moral is ... ?

You may be able to get a taxi to the other resort. Like the lessons idea. Could be costly though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Filzmoos is far from being a nightmare - it's a really nice place with plenty of good skiing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

it's a really nice place with plenty of good skiing

Ah, telford_mike, I think you have a different attitude to many British holiday makers who seem to think they're hard done by if they ski the same run twice in a week. Our area has a fair bit of skiing (185 km lift linked) but mostly it's gentle terrain - some interesting and accessible off piste, but not in the big league by a very long way. We are elderly skiers, content to potter, have a nice lunch, maybe get some (cheap) private lessons when the snow is good, spend a few hours practising daft drills, etc etc. I'm sure we'd enjoy a week - or more - in Filzmoos.

Our son is a very good skier and a pretty good boarder - two seasons working in the Alps and he was way better than the rest of the family before. He's more than happy to ski here - or board in fresh snow conditions. My son in law is not a bad skier but Nick was able to keep up with him down our long blue home run, skiing backwards! He can't yet ski backwards on one foot for more than a couple of yards - another challenge, maybe? He is an expert skier, but doesn't seem to get bored - he probably would if he was here, as we are, for weeks on end.

I happily spent an entire hour on a short blue slope and draglift last week, trying to get some of the drills in Fastman's DVDs right. Including the "hopping drill" where you change edges in air on each third hop which was so exhausting I had to repair to the restaurant for a beer. A more advanced skier has plenty of more advanced drills to choose from.

Some people have a very low boredom threshold. wink I think it's sad.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Zauchensee is top top class!! - another 15min on the bus after the Flachau village.
And the Flachauwinkl opposite is good as well.

http://www.bergfex.com/zauchensee/

Wagrain is great as well but requires skiing down the other side of Flachau mountain
and 10min bus across the Wagrain, but it is very easy and straight forward - bus is waiting on the bottom of the gondolas.

Check the buses and change over times and maybe Schladming is doable as well. All on the same ski pass I believe.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mcleani,
Filzmoos is a very cosy little town with a very cosy little area to ski.
Cruising is possible and there is a little tree skiing/offpiste potential - but if you have more than 6 or 7 weeks under your belt it will be very limiting. There is not much of a vertical drop and the area is split accross the road.

I live about 25 minutes from Flizmoos and rarely visit... there are regular busses to Flachau and maybe Ramsau (another small area).
To get to Flachau takes about 30min on the bus. form there you can link to Wagrain and back quite comfortably in a day.
There will be Postbusses every day and am pretty sure there is a free ski/shuttle bus.

Taxis will be about €25 to get to any of the other close areas.

Quote:

plenty of good skiing

Nah....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tom W wrote:

Wagrain is great as well but requires skiing down the other side of Flachau mountain
and 10min bus across the Wagrain, but it is very easy and straight forward - bus is waiting on the bottom of the gondolas.

Nowhere near 10 minutes unless some pillock has blocked the road. And the bus has priority over all the other traffic which makes the trip very quick. It is a continuous shuttle service operating for as long as the lifts are open; you just step out of your skis at the bottom of the Flying Mozart lift onto the bus and out again at the Graffenberg.

A little insider tip - go round the back to the new Graffenberg Express if there is a queue for the bubble. It brings you out halfway up the mountain but then straight on to the 6-man chair and you are on your way! Toofy Grin Most grockles seem to be on auto-pilot to follow the masses on to the Graffenberg Lift, so a queue does build up there sometimes. The new gondolas take 8 while the old one only carries 6 wink

I've been skiing this area for over 20 years and have only ever spent a couple of days at Filzmoos. It is nice, the village is gorgeous, but the skiing is extremely limited for anyone with more than a couple of weeks under their belts. Fantastic place for taking wee kiddies for the first time because it is so quiet and safe for them. Toofy Grin The village regularly wins "Best Village in Austria" hence its permanence in British TOs brochures.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

British holiday makers who seem to think they're hard done by if they ski the same run twice in a week

pam w, I second that. In a previous life (1988?) I went to Valmorel with a group of skinutters and I swear we skied the entire resort by lunchtime on the first day (at least that was how it seemed to me). They then spent the rest of the week moaning about how they'd done this and done that ...

Me, I can cruise all day and never get bored - and if you take a different line down the piste each time, in effect it's a different piste isn't it? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Samerberg Sue, so it is even better if less than 10min - I was just guessing - I know it was quick but could not remember how quick.

Anyway it all seems not that bad:
- bus to Flachau 30min and ski Flachau or jump to Wagrain. I would do it for 2 or 3 days in your week.
or
- bus to Flachau 30min + change over to free bus to Zauchensee/Flachauwinkl. Easy 2 days there. Very good terrain + some accessible off piste and tree skiing.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tom W, +1

pam w

What about looking from a slightly different POV.... I have only 1 weeks leave to go ona ski holiday... This is the only time I can get out... I don't want to do drills, I want to ski. I want to be able to ski for longer than 5 mins without getting a lift.... And don't forget that even kids reach an age when they are polite to their elders!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

What about looking from a slightly different POV.... I have only 1 weeks leave to go ona ski holiday... This is the only time I can get out... I don't want to do drills, I want to ski. I want to be able to ski for longer than 5 mins without getting a lift..

then you don't do an allocated on arrival deal. Simple. Twisted Evil
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Quote:

What about looking from a slightly different POV.... I have only 1 weeks leave to go ona ski holiday... This is the only time I can get out... I don't want to do drills, I want to ski. I want to be able to ski for longer than 5 mins without getting a lift..

then you don't do an allocated on arrival deal. Simple. Twisted Evil

Yes you do if you are on a limited budget - you win some, you lose some. As long as the OP thinks outside of the boy, they will have a perfectly good holiday. Who knows maybe even an excellent one, the hospitality in that part of Austria is second to none.

We locals have given him some alternatives which are not impossible to set up if they want to make the best of things. snowHead

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 14-01-11 9:46; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd have no problem with an "allocated on arrival", especially with some local knowledge and advice. A good way of sampling something new, and it sounds a lovely place. But anyone whose reaction to being allocated a resort with limited skiing is "nightmare!" should maybe find other ways of saving some dosh.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If the weather allows you could go to Ramsau ( next village ) and the Dachstein glacier where there are 4 or 5 great guided routes over to Dachstein West.
The skiing on the glacier is good fun too for half a day,very scenic.
All the lifts are on the Ski Amade pass for the area.
Very subject to weather conditions as it turns real quick !!!
I am going in March and hoping to do Edelgries descent to Ramsau and the Dachstein crossing to Obertraun.
Been last 3 years but weather not good enough !
Have a good time......
Very Happy
snow report
wow- many thanks for all the comments and information. I had thought about trying to get some guiding organised but a basic web search didn't turn up anything. Went for alloc on arrival as have never been to Austria before so wasn't sure what resort to go for and have always been lucky in the past ( however AOA in the past has always been France). As a regular, skiing in scotland if you get to know an area it's always possible to find interesting stuff to do no matter how small it is- however have no knowlege of this area so that will be more difficult.

I appreciate there is more to a ski holiday than just hammering down pistes and covering terrain so will be going out with the view of making the most of it. Am encouraged that there seems to be buses to other areas more than the 3 times per week I had thought.

thanks again all off now to try and source some bus timetables

iain
snow report
Have fun. snowHead
ski holidays
immer schuss, mcleani, my mates guide all of that area... if you want more info www.austrianalpineactivities.com
snow report
mcleani, just make sure you visit Zauchensee and you will not be disappointed.

This is the link for Dachstein touring:

http://en.krippenstein.at/skiregion/Skitouren/
ski holidays
thanks for the lnks Flangesax and tom. bus to flachau or flachauweinkel should lead to good days out, still trying to get bus timetables

is it poss to get to ramsau / schladming by bus and are these area's included in the lift pass.

thanks to all above, your info and suggestions are undoubtedly going to make my enjoyment of the area all the better
ski holidays
Just phoned the tourist info... ( http://www.filzmoos.at )

You got 3 ski bus services to Flachau on Tues, Weds, Thurs. These go to Flachau and Flachau Winkl (which you can ski link to Zauchensee)... and from the Wagrain side of Flachau you can take the shuttle to Wagrain's Graffenberg side. for €8 return.

There is a post bus service daily to Eben, Altenmarkt and Radstadt towns. from Altenmarkt you can get a free ski bus up to Zauchensee.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 14-01-11 12:57; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
mcleani,

This map is good to have a proper view of all the places around and connections:

http://www.schladming-appartements.at/panoramaamade.jpg

As on the map you can ski on both side of Flachauwinkl. To the right is Zauchensee which is much bigger but the other side to Kleinarl is nice as well. There is a sort of "tractor train" which takes people from one side to the other, takes 2minutes Wink

You might email tourist office for bus timetables as it all can be confusing. I remember I was looking at the connection from Flachau to Schladming at it was a bit pointless. Bus change and strange timing made it almost impossible to get there in the morning.

If you don't mind the buses there is lots of great terrain to explore on your ski pass.

Schladming is included in Ski Amade lift pass.
latest report
flangesax,
I am a bit shocked that you have friends who enjoy anal pine activities Shocked wink
latest report
Freddie Paellahead, LOL Laughing
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
We are elderly skiers, content to potter, have a nice lunch, maybe get some (cheap) private lessons when the snow is good, spend a few hours practising daft drills, etc etc.

Can I join your clique? Toofy Grin

Quote:
I happily spent an entire hour on a short blue slope and draglift last week, trying to get some of the drills in Fastman's DVDs right.

Brings back happy memories. Very Happy I learnt to ski in LS and spent at least an hour each day on that drag lift, practising after my lesson. The liftie used to laugh at me and give me a thumbs up/down each time I passed him depending on whether I'd got it right on the last run.... or not.... Laughing

Freddie Paellahead, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

Can I join your clique?

Certainly. Come here again and I can give you a stately tour of the area. wink
ski holidays
pam w, I would love to, I look each year but as yet no TO's go there that I can see (which is great from your POV, I know) but not much good for the solo traveller. Sad I'll keep working on it. Very Happy
latest report
Freddie Paellahead, I've never noticed that!.. brilliant!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Freddie Paellahead, you should have quoted that.....still hilarious Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
flangesax, I bet you'll never look at them in the same way again wink
latest report
flangesax,

Thanks for that web link,looks good Cool
latest report
flangesax, Every time you see them hand them a pine cone and laugh... keep it going for weeks Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

immer schuss, mcleani, my mates guide all of that area... if you want more info www.austrianalpineactivities.com

flangesax, I have been in touch and lorraine leivers has gotten back to me - so it looks like i'll be arranging a day with her. Thanks for the link

iain
snow conditions
no probs! - Lovelly couple (just don't offer them any pine cones wink )
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy